Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: House Rules?  (Read 8679 times)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: House Rules?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 04:26:02 pm »

I'm not convinced with what some people have been saying, that equal turns would favour 2p in engine games.

Then maybe you just haven't played enough engine games to know that this is a bad idea.

Sometimes it means taking a calculated risk on ending the game, not knowing what the opponent might be able to potentially do, and that's part of what Dominion is about, no?

What? You do realize that this literally can never happen in official Dominion?

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 04:38:54 pm »

I think what he's going for is that the decision to end the game, betting that your opponent does not have a good enough hand to pull ahead of you again is similar to the decision to buy the penultimate Province, betting that your opponent doesn't have a good enough hand to buy the last one.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 04:41:11 pm »

When you buy the penultimate Province, you don't actually end the game. Oftentimes you do have some pretty good knowledge of whether your opponent can buy the last Province anyway.

EDIT: I don't care what you said, because my objection wasn't directed at you in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:43:04 pm by dondon151 »

TWoos

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +89
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 04:44:16 pm »
+5

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 04:53:23 pm »

It's usually also correct to buy the penultimate province if your next best option wouldn't put you ahead in points anyway. In that case, you're likely going to need both of the last two provinces to win, so just buy it and hope your opponent has a bad turn.

redwings1340

• Pawn
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 05:05:46 pm »

Yeah all the junkers in Dominion are undercosted by at least 1$, it's just a thing *shrug*.

Witch/MB etc. costing $6 would be so much more infuriating than they are now.

I think a witch or average (very good) curser costing 6 might be even worse, because if p1 gets it early and then uses it, I don't know if p2 will ever be able to get 6 to get a curser of his own. 5 is possible, but that would just make the early 6 hand that much more important. Maybe it would be late enough in the game that both people should be able to get it at the same time, but I could see the possibility of having even more one sided games with that cost barrier. Opening double silver would probably be more common to get that early 6 (or silver/terminal draw), and if one person gets lucky and the other person doesn't, that could be game over.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 06:42:55 pm »

I'm not convinced with what some people have been saying, that equal turns would favour 2p in engine games.

Then maybe you just haven't played enough engine games to know that this is a bad idea.

I dunno, probably a few hundred? How many have you played with equal turns, just to get an idea of how qualified you are to make that statement?

Sometimes it means taking a calculated risk on ending the game, not knowing what the opponent might be able to potentially do, and that's part of what Dominion is about, no?

What? You do realize that this literally can never happen in official Dominion?

Not sure if serious... oh wait it's Dondon. Yeah whatever.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 07:24:26 pm »

This is how the p2 gets an extra turn rule could change the game:
So you are building an engine as p1, and piles are running low. Oh no, you think; p2 might be able to end the game and buy an estate next turn. I had best buy a province and a market this turn instead of a market, a gold and a cellar (or whatever).
Then p2 continues to build their engine.
You still can't end the game despite your 1-province lead, because p2 can double province now, but you still can't.

So basically this rule would force player 1 to green early in a large number of engines, and I doubt there would be much difference in big money games.

This is no good at all; for one, we now just have a p2 advantage instead of a p1 advantage in a large number of games, that's useless. Additionally, engine games, where the p2 advantage becomes apparent, are the games where a second player's greater skill or play most easily allows them to overcome p1 advantage anyway, so it is not very helpful to give p2 an advantage in those games.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 07:54:00 pm »

I dunno, probably a few hundred? How many have you played with equal turns, just to get an idea of how qualified you are to make that statement?

There is absolutely nothing that suggests to me that you are any more qualified to make such a statement.

EDIT: For that matter, I could have played hundreds of games with equal turns and contend that it's balanced simply because as is, I win 80-90% of 2-player games with IRL friends, and I always play from second seat. If I were to use personal experience as evidence, then I could convincingly state that there is no such thing as first player advantage.

Not sure if serious... oh wait it's Dondon. Yeah whatever.

If people copped out like this all the time, then I wouldn't ever have to argue!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 07:56:25 pm by dondon151 »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2013, 10:35:00 pm »

It's usually also correct to buy the penultimate province if your next best option wouldn't put you ahead in points anyway. In that case, you're likely going to need both of the last two provinces to win, so just buy it and hope your opponent has a bad turn.
Double Duchy is often better, because if you absolutely need all of the remaining Provinces, the odds are that you also need at least half of the remaining Duchies. And double Duchy is more expensive than a Province, so you should take the opportunity if you can.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:10 am »
+1

Double Duchy is often better, because if you absolutely need all of the remaining Provinces, the odds are that you also need at least half of the remaining Duchies. And double Duchy is more expensive than a Province, so you should take the opportunity if you can.

I think blueblimp is talking about the scenarios where, say, it is a primarily Big Money game and you are tied on Provinces, down 2 Duchies, and there are 2 Provinces left. You're down 2 turns of tempo, you're not winning without those Provinces, and if you don't get both you'll just lose.

If there's +Buy, then it's a lot trickier. Have to consider, how likely is it that they can get $16 and 2 buys? How about $13 and 2 buys? How likely am I to get $16, or $13, or even $10? That's where endgame play gets tricky. (For instance, if you have 2 Duchies and they have 4, taking the 2 remaining Duchies leaves only Provinces and Estates, meaning there's no difference between $13 and $10 for VP buying power, assuming max of 2 buys. But this adds an empty pile, so now you need to check if other piles are running low, and whether it's worth it, or maybe you're trying to sneak a 3-pile win because you know your deck is worse long term, and so on.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:20:15 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2013, 02:26:31 am »

Honestly, you can make any house rules you want to make, but that doesn't mean you are making the game any better. Some players choose to avoid attacks altogether or certain cards. If you want to change other aspects go for it, but just be aware that you are changing the dynamics of the game and those changes might affect some other area of game play. But, if everyone is having fun then I guess that's what matters. It's not like you are tying to run a tournament or anything.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.