Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Showdown  (Read 26525 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Showdown
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2013, 06:37:23 pm »
+3

I have no idea how well Puzzle Strike actually plays, but Sirlin gets huge negative points from me because he ripped off Puzzle Strike's chip design from someone at BGG.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2013, 06:40:15 pm »

I have no idea how well Puzzle Strike actually plays, but Sirlin gets huge negative points from me because he ripped off Puzzle Strike's chip design from someone at BGG.

Wait, that wouldn't work for deck-inspection...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2013, 06:49:56 pm »

Wait, that wouldn't work for deck-inspection...

Yeah, chips probably don't work well for a few different mechanics.  You'd probably need privacy screens because big hands would be hard to handle as well.  For deck inspection, you probably pull out a chip and either leave it out in their "discard" or set it aside to be their "next draw".

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2013, 06:58:06 pm »

The whole chip idea for deckbuilding is fine, but it doesn't work for Dominion...  I wonder why the guy did it...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2013, 07:00:27 pm »

The whole chip idea for deckbuilding is fine, but it doesn't work for Dominion...  I wonder why the guy did it...
You could have a draw bag and a discard bag.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2013, 07:05:55 pm »

But what about things on top of your deck?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2013, 07:42:57 pm »

It worked just fine for base Dominion as I recall.  However, the advent of Courtyard pretty much killed that ability.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:41 pm »

But what about things on top of your deck?
You could have a small "deck" of chips that represent the top of your deck.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2013, 08:05:55 pm »
+1

He mentioned somewhere that if you know the top card(s) of your deck, you'd just put the subsequent drawn chips in a small stack next to your draw bag.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »

I'm not sure the original creator's intention behind using chips.  Might have just been for fun.  But other people have found the chips better than cards for people who have trouble shuffling due to disability or illness.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2013, 08:11:01 pm »

It worked just fine for base Dominion as I recall.  However, the advent of Courtyard pretty much killed that ability.

Well, there's the Spy and Bureaucrat...

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2013, 08:21:10 pm »

Spy?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2013, 08:33:09 pm »

Spy?

Well, there's the Spy and Bureaucrat...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2013, 08:40:17 pm »

He mentioned somewhere that if you know the top card(s) of your deck, you'd just put the subsequent drawn chips in a small stack next to your draw bag.

Seriously, guys.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2013, 09:13:27 pm »

Wow.  I've seen that linked many times, but I always assumed that the image was only a photoshop making fun of Puzzle Strike being a clone of Dominion.  Now that I see the "secret history" of Puzzle Strike, I am appalled.
Well you *do* need a signature...

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:36 pm »
+3

I'm not sure the original creator's intention behind using chips.  Might have just been for fun.  But other people have found the chips better than cards for people who have trouble shuffling due to disability or illness.

Or they just don't like shuffling. It can add significantly to playtime so it makes sense that someone would be motivated to cut down on it as much as possible.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 10:43:23 pm »

I've probably played Puzzle Strike more extensively than anyone else on the forum.  So if that is somehow seen as the most likely adversary, hit me up. 

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 10:45:21 pm »

Maybe it would be helpful to ask Tom Vasel what other deck builders are most likely to be discussed, to allow any potential guest to prepare (or judge their own qualifications).

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 11:04:50 pm »
+2

Here's a link to the thread that caused me to quit Puzzle Strike:
http://www.fantasystrike.com/forums/index.php?threads/why-is-bank-screw-deliberately-included-in-this-game.5455/#post-162420

Rather ironically, Dominion is far more suited to competitive play because a best out of three Puzzle Strike match is wildly inaccurate.  Game one is heavily affected by who gets hit hardest by bank screw, even an expert will lose if they have two character chips with "+1 action, only for red chips", and the bank has no red chips.

After the RNG picks a winner for game one, it's like breaking serve.  The player who lost the most recent game gets to swap out one card from the bank with any other card in existence.  (The character with Throne Room as a character chip might bring Bridge in, for a real example).  So the second and third games will usually go to the guy with the edge, making tournament games essentially best of 1.

I tried playing in Puzzle Strike tournaments, it was not satisfying at all.  I got knocked out by a guy who bought 3 f******ing Copper turn 2, and I promise you, no, it's not a thing.

Mole5000

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • Geometric Games
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 07:23:22 am »
+3

I've played Quarriors and Ascension.  Both of them add an extra level of randomness that I find unappealing.  Getting a bad draw of dice in Quarriors and then rolling sucky is like a one-two punch of fuck you from lady luck.

EDIT: With Quarriors I feel there's a really stellar game that just isn't there as it stands.  Ascension I just found way too random in 4 player - there's a chance it could improve a lot as a 2 player game.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:12:12 pm by Mole5000 »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2013, 09:14:18 pm »

Does anyone know if this actually ended up happening, and if so, where I can find it? I had a look at the BGG thread, and there's a single episode up there which has TS3 vs. Eclipse and Resistance vs. Mafia, but I don't see an episode 2 linked anywhere.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2013, 01:48:04 am »

Does anyone know if this actually ended up happening, and if so, where I can find it? I had a look at the BGG thread, and there's a single episode up there which has TS3 vs. Eclipse and Resistance vs. Mafia, but I don't see an episode 2 linked anywhere.
ITunes has a total of 6 episodes listed. I've only ever listened to the two you named. I don't know if the Dominion has happened yet, but I'll be really bummed out if someone from here didn't go and represent the game. The Resistance vs. Mafia one was really interesting.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2013, 04:07:56 am »

But Resistance vs Mafia is easy.

Resistance: No one gets eliminated, groups up to 10.
Mafia: Elimination puts players more on edge, facilitates larger groups.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2013, 11:12:50 am »
+1

But Resistance vs Mafia is easy.

Resistance: No one gets eliminated, groups up to 10.
Mafia: Elimination puts players more on edge, facilitates larger groups.
Resistance: No Mod, IRL has more proof than "I'm Town, I'm Town, I'm Town", no elimination
Mafia: Elimination, players could lose interest if they're just a Vanilla Townie.

My general opinion is that I'd play Resistance with <10 people and Mafia with 11+.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2013, 11:20:27 am »
+1

Yeah, I mean it's no contest. Resistance is a better game for a small number of people, and mafia is better for a lot of people.

I also think mafia is better online and Resistance is better in person.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.