Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 50 people rooms should help us find games  (Read 13217 times)

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
50 people rooms should help us find games
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:31:07 am »
+4

50 people rooms should help us find games...
https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/what_do_the_different_rooms_courtyard_gardens_mean_why_can_i_sometimes_enter_a_room_sometimes_not#reply_12562665

I think the real reason is that lobby code is so bad, that it can't handle more people. But even that would not be a problem.... if they would hide people and games currently being played and kicked people from lobby after 1 hour of inactivity.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: 50 people rooms should help us find games
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:07 am »
+3

We'll see if there's a response to my response...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:00:48 am »
+15

Kirian, now that this has finally been brought to their attention, I'm sure we'll see a non-laughable lobby system up by the end of the weekend.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:06:39 am »
+5

Meet me in Outpost VI?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:08:39 pm »

What I've been doing lately is just opening a couple of tabs and wait in multiple rooms simultaneously.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:20:50 pm »
+2

Could we have some Pro-exclusive rooms sorted by rating range???  Now THAT sounds like a good idea.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 02:37:38 pm »
+4

also it's easier to meet up in the less crowded room with your friends to set up the table

Because all of us would rather call up our friends and say, "You want to Goko it up tonight?" instead of saying "Alright, I've got 30 minutes, time for a quick fews games of Dominion." 

Now I know some people use Goko as a means to meet up with friends to play Dominion, but I think the majority of the player base is playing with random strangers who we've gotten to know via dominion screen names.  I'm not about to call Robz or ednever up on their cell phones saying, "Hey, dominion tonight?"  I'll go into the lobby and say to myself, "Who's online that I enjoy playing against."  And let me tell you, I won't ever find Robz or ednever by frequenting the likes of Treasury III.  Give us single lobby with with available players and a single lobby for in progress games (so we can see who's online, but playing) with the ability to search for players and propose games to players.  If Goko does that I could care less if they decided to go all the way to Doctor IX for "friend-finding" play.

Goko, please.  We've given you money, let's get a complete product.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 02:47:27 pm »
+6

also it's easier to meet up in the less crowded room with your friends to set up the table

Because all of us would rather call up our friends and say, "You want to Goko it up tonight?" instead of saying "Alright, I've got 30 minutes, time for a quick fews games of Dominion." 

Now I know some people use Goko as a means to meet up with friends to play Dominion, but I think the majority of the player base is playing with random strangers who we've gotten to know via dominion screen names.  I'm not about to call Robz or ednever up on their cell phones saying, "Hey, dominion tonight?"  I'll go into the lobby and say to myself, "Who's online that I enjoy playing against."  And let me tell you, I won't ever find Robz or ednever by frequenting the likes of Treasury III.  Give us single lobby with with available players and a single lobby for in progress games (so we can see who's online, but playing) with the ability to search for players and propose games to players.  If Goko does that I could care less if they decided to go all the way to Doctor IX for "friend-finding" play.

The problem with all this is that it is way too logical for Goko. Try mixing your good stuff with a bunch of absurd suggestions (the addition of Treasury XI, say) and they might accidentally implement it.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 02:50:06 pm »
+4

To be fair, I've messaged RL friends on facebook or whatever to come play Dominion online a number of times, I must have played at least 150-200 games like that over the years.

You know, out of ~10k or whatever.

And, you know, on Isotropic, obviously. Who would do that on Goko lol.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:36:54 pm »

Also, I think the limit makes it more difficult to play games with people you've planned to play against too, because they'll often end up in different lobbies than you after the first game, since the lobby is full and there isn't enough room for everyone.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:37:00 pm »
+4

What I've been doing lately is just opening a couple of tabs and wait in multiple rooms simultaneously.
Ah, so that's why recently it seemed you follow me instatly whenever I go to another room

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:39:28 pm »
+2

Ah, so that's why recently it seemed you follow me instatly whenever I go to another room
Actually that's probably what SheCantSayNo has been doing - opening a couple of tabs and waiting in multiple rooms simultaneously is surely the most efficient way to stalk you.  ;)
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

phoenix9797

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:45:36 pm »

Alas, while I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, I am not holding out hope: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/one_room_to_find_games.

The standard response seems to be: "That is a good idea."  Followed by the same (wrong) explanation that having scads of rooms actually helps people find games.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:13 pm »
+2

Alas, while I wholeheartedly agree with all of this, I am not holding out hope: https://getsatisfaction.com/goko/topics/one_room_to_find_games.

The standard response seems to be: "That is a good idea."  Followed by the same (wrong) explanation that having scads of rooms actually helps people find games.

It's almost as though none of them actually... you know, play the game.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:03:11 pm »

It's almost as though none of them actually... you know, play the game.

I think they actually play the game a lot. They just don't play on the public servers, so they haven't had much experience with their horrible lobby system.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 04:10:04 pm »
+9

The problem with all this is that it is way too logical for Goko. Try mixing your good stuff with a bunch of absurd suggestions (the addition of Treasury XI, say) and they might accidentally implement it.

There should be 7 rooms - one room each for people wishing to join 2-6 player games, one room for anything, and one room with all the in-progress games (potentially used for spectating?).

These rooms should be named as follows:

2p: Outpost IV
3p: Outpost II
4p: Treasury IIII
5p: Scout
6p: Hahahaha good luck with that
free play: Outpost 4
in progress: Dominion Room

Actually, Dominion Room should not simply house all in-progress games.  That would be ridiculous.  Instead, Dominion Room has multiple sub-rooms named Dominion Sub Room I through Dominion Sub Room CLVI.  Whenever a game begins, it is moved into one of these sub-rooms.  The specific room used is determined by a hash function -- add the current rankings of all players involved, mod 131 (and then add 1 until an empty room is found).  If somehow all sub-rooms are filled, Dominion Room VII is created.  If Dominion Room VII's sub-rooms are filled, then the in-progress game can stay where it is instead of being moved.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 04:19:06 pm »

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 04:22:04 pm »

I support this idea.
The idea is fine, along with 47 others that don't include that which is currently in place.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 04:46:09 pm »

To be fair, I've messaged RL friends on facebook or whatever to come play Dominion online a number of times, I must have played at least 150-200 games like that over the years.

You know, out of ~10k or whatever.

And, you know, on Isotropic, obviously. Who would do that on Goko lol.

I do this. In fact, recently this has been the majority of my games. We complain about the interface the whole time, but Dominion is Dominion.

If half-decent matchmaking is ever implemented, I'll be more inclined to play random games.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »

There should be 7 rooms - one room each for people wishing to join 2-6 player games, one room for anything, and one room with all the in-progress games (potentially used for spectating?).

Actually, Dominion Room should not simply house all in-progress games.  That would be ridiculous.  Instead, Dominion Room has multiple sub-rooms named Dominion Sub Room I through Dominion Sub Room CLVI.  Whenever a game begins, it is moved into one of these sub-rooms.  The specific room used is determined by a hash function -- add the current rankings of all players involved, mod 131 (and then add 1 until an empty room is found).  If somehow all sub-rooms are filled, Dominion Room VII is created.  If Dominion Room VII's sub-rooms are filled, then the in-progress game can stay where it is instead of being moved.

I think it would be easier to just have one main lobby like isotropic but have filter check boxes like hide in progress games, 2p, 3p, etc. min/max rating, pro/casual/unrated, #/types of sets available, etc. as well as search options for player names and the ability to directly propose a game with a person. That way if you want 2 or 3 player games with players who are 5000+ you can just view the lobby that way rather than having goko make a separate lobby for that specific subset. And if you want to meet up with friends then you can go to Outpost IV: the Reckoning or whatever. Also, you know, automatch would be nice...
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:29 pm »
+1

I think it would be easier to just have one main lobby like isotropic but have filter check boxes like hide in progress games, 2p, 3p, etc. min/max rating, pro/casual/unrated, #/types of sets available, etc. as well as search options for player names and the ability to directly propose a game with a person. That way if you want 2 or 3 player games with players who are 5000+ you can just view the lobby that way rather than having goko make a separate lobby for that specific subset. And if you want to meet up with friends then you can go to Outpost IV: the Reckoning or whatever. Also, you know, automatch would be nice...

OK, well, we can keep the Dominion Room for in-progress games, though maybe it should be renamed Black Lotus II.  Then the main lobby should probably be named Outpost III (except on Thursdays, when it is Outpost IX).

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2013, 10:12:49 pm »
+3

This is where me, Robz, ednever, shark_bait's mom were last night  ;)
Well you *do* need a signature...

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 11:18:07 pm »

They also need a friends list.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 10:25:08 am »

They also need a friends list.

A friends list would be nice, but that is just so far down the list of things that need to happen ASAP.  Consider that it's taken nearly a year to add a button that allows us to give them our money in exchange for a single, measly card.

I am honestly shocked by Goko's behavior.  I understand that there is always a tension between the interests of the user and of the provider.  I don't expect Goko to give us everything we ask.  But I do expect that to implement directly beneficial and profitable items like direct purchase of promo cards.  I also don't expect them to waste their time and money developing idiotic structural problems, like this whole room system.  Maybe the hope was that finding a game would be frustrating until you buy your own sets?
Well you *do* need a signature...

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 12:46:19 pm »

Further evidence that the developers never played on Isotropic's platform, ever.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 21 queries.