Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: International Dominion Team World Cup  (Read 24416 times)

Warrior

• Golem
  • Respect: +54
    • View Profile
Re: International Dominion Team World Cup
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »

/in for U.S.

Been taking a little bit of a break but now would be a great time to start back up. I've been in the top 10 on Goko and top 20 or so on iso.

troninho

• Pawn
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2013, 12:11:18 pm »

Nice idea!

This thread is looking a bit quiet, but if the tournament happens, I'd be happy to play for Team Finland.

Freerk

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:21 pm »

I guess we won't get enough players together for a team  "Friesland" , but if there is a chance i 'd like to join the dutch or even german team too. I am flexible.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, 07:57:20 pm »
+1

So, this idea somehow came to nothing!? Why?

I haven't read everything, but my 2 cents on this subject.
I think we need a fixed number of players in a team. Everything else makes it only confusing. I suggest 4 players per team.
But how are the teams determined?

1.) Everyone is allowed to sign in. If more than 4 players sign in for a team they have to play a single-player qualifying tournament to determine the team.

2.) Everyone is allowed to sign in. If more than 4 players sign in for a team, the 4 best players regarding to the isotropish ranking get chosen.

3.) Everyone is allowed to sign in. If more than 4 players sign in for a team, players of this country have to democratically vote for a team captain. This player then picks his 3 team mates.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2013, 05:44:38 am »

I've only just seen this thread, but this:

I'd volunteer for Australia.  I'm not good enough for the USA team, but I think sheer lack of numbers would mean I have a shot at the Aussie team. :)

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2013, 07:32:01 am »

I would let the countries themselves decide how to pick the teams.
I'm picking Stef as team captain for Team Holland. :)

You can go with this basically, I think:
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/leaderboard/

A leaderboard such as this not only takes into account skill levels, but also availability as all players have played 20+ games in the last month. This is important if it comes down to arranging actual matches. If the so called best player in the world has been hiding in a shed for over a year and never has time to play anymore, well, he's of no use and will only keep things from going smoothly.

I'm also not against USA A, USA B, etc. as long as it doesn't go to Z.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2013, 04:10:37 pm »
+1

Hey, so now that GokoDom II is over and there's time left until DSC 2013 starts, is there still some interest to do this in between?

Here some more thoughts I had about this.

1.) Signups
Everybody can signup. When signing up, the person has to name his country and his goko username. To prevent discussion upfront, I suggest that the birth country counts not where someone lives. I think the goal should be to imitate a real World Cup. I mean there's nothing to prove, so if anyone lies and signups for - let's say - Ivory Coast, he can do so, but I think no-one here would do this and still he wouldn't be able to assemble a team so easily.

2.) Team Building
If 4 or more players have signed up for one country, this country will take part in the World Cup. They just have to elect a team. I think the general consensus is that the best ranked (on the isotropish leaderboard at a certain deadline) player of that country is the team leader and will elect the team. They get seeded based on their rank. Not elected players will be substitutes for players that drop out for some reason.

3.) Format
This is what I'm not sure about. I'm against single-elimination (*cough* DSC *cough*), but I guess some sort of elimination makes this sort of tournament more tense. So maybe double-elimination. We could also adapt the GokoDom-like approach - so Swiss and then elimination. Or - we could adapt world cups from other sports like soccer where we have a group (everyone vs. everyone) and then an elimination phase. Not sure what would be best. I guess it also depends on the number of teams we get.

4.) Matches
Each match-up should have 4 matches where the #1 player from team A plays against #2 player from team B and so on and so forth. I think the GokoDom best-of-5 variation rule for each match is the best we have so far. The team with more wins will proceed. Not sure what to do on a tie-break. Maybe the #1 match counts double!? Another possibility is (I think it's done in table tennis) that everyone plays two matches #1 vs #1, 2x #1 vs #2, #2 vs #2, #3 vs #3, 2x #3 vs #4 and #4 vs #4. That minimizes the probability of having ties and maybe provides more/longer fun.

I'm also not entirely sure about multiple teams per country. Like most people have said, it be kind of silly to have matchups like USA Team F vs. USA Team H and so on. But maybe we could add some more teams to get an "even" number of teams (I mean powers of 2, like 8, 16 or 32).

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2013, 05:08:57 pm »
+2

This thread is over 3 months old and many people have suggested different ideas for formats and whatnot. If someone actually wants to commit to organizing it, (s)he should make a thread with rules and sign-ups and I'm sure people will join. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, and I'm sure at least some people will be fine with whatever rules you'd like if you're willing to do the organizing.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2013, 05:13:17 pm »

This thread is over 3 months old and many people have suggested different ideas for formats and whatnot. If someone actually wants to commit to organizing it, (s)he should make a thread with rules and sign-ups and I'm sure people will join. This discussion isn't really going anywhere, and I'm sure at least some people will be fine with whatever rules you'd like if you're willing to do the organizing.

*paging kirian*
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2013, 05:20:46 pm »

Off topic: Apparently I should check the Tournaments and Events forum more frequently.

On topic: Yeah, I'm interested in participating.

Meta: I agree that this thread has gotten quite messy.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2013, 05:31:01 pm »

Yeah, I agree with that HME. I just wanted to get some more feedback about the format and if someone would organize it. I may want to do it, but it wasn't my idea, not sure if the OP is still around. But before I do it, maybe someone more reliable than me :P and more experienced may want to do it.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2013, 02:06:54 pm »
+1

Ok, I asked a little bit around and a lot of people are interested. So, I will start this.
I feel a bit nervous about this as Goko behaved a little bit strange lately, but I hope we don't have any troubles.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.