Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: International Dominion Team World Cup  (Read 24412 times)

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
Re: International Dominion Team World Cup
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2013, 07:54:16 am »

5) I don't think that we want a tournament, where the luck decides the winner, do we? If yes, we can make a tournament in flipping coins, but don't have to play dominion ;-)

My point was that I think every team match should have the same number of individual matches.
I don't think it would be good if some team matches has 3 individual matches, and some team matches has 5 individual matches.

• I haven't really heard any good arguments against having multiple teams per country.
I think a good argument against that is that it can lead to teams in the top 3 being from the same country.

I don't think a final placement like:
1. USA
2. USA
3. USA

or

1. Netherlands
2. USA
3. USA

would be a good thing.

I really think that top 3 should be 3 different countries.[/list]
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 07:56:51 am by Simon (DK) »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2013, 08:18:33 am »

You could allow multiple teams per country in the qualifying stage, and then stipulate that a team doesn't qualify if a higher-placed team from the same country does qualify.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 08:50:53 am »

You could allow multiple teams per country in the qualifying stage, and then stipulate that a team doesn't qualify if a higher-placed team from the same country does qualify.

Would this be much different from a country having an intern competition to decide who gets to play on the team in the team competition?
I think that would be a much better solution.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 09:26:14 am »

I think single elimination right from the first game is not good. Especially for a team competition - organizing a team to have it play just one game won't be fun. My two ideas on how it could be organized:

1. Teams of 3 people sign up. Whole team must be from the same country. Tournament starts with some rounds of swiss format. Teams that advace to single elimiation stage:
- team ranked 1st,
- highest ranked team from another country than the team ranked first,
- ad so on, till 4 or 8 teams qualify

2. Ask Gokodom participants to declare if they are interested in additional team tournament. After Gokodom ends, top 3 interested participats from each coutry are chosen and their scores added up. 8 highest ranked countries advance, the team is players whose score was added to get their coutry's score.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2013, 09:52:00 am »

I think single elimination right from the first game is not good. Especially for a team competition - organizing a team to have it play just one game won't be fun. My two ideas on how it could be organized:

1. Teams of 3 people sign up. Whole team must be from the same country. Tournament starts with some rounds of swiss format. Teams that advace to single elimiation stage:
- team ranked 1st,
- highest ranked team from another country than the team ranked first,
- ad so on, till 4 or 8 teams qualify

2. Ask Gokodom participants to declare if they are interested in additional team tournament. After Gokodom ends, top 3 interested participats from each coutry are chosen and their scores added up. 8 highest ranked countries advance, the team is players whose score was added to get their coutry's score.

1:
I like the this idea. I think 8 teams should go through

2:
I don't like this idea. This tournament may be a chancee for the smaller countries to get in players, who doesn't normally play competitions. There can easily be players, who participates in the team competition, but not in GokoDom.

Leo1997

• Salvager
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2013, 10:01:30 am »

I want one team per country.  (Ich möchte ein Team pro Land)
Then we have got 20 teams, at the moment. (Dann haben wir 20 Teams, zumindest jetzt)

We split them up in 4 groups with 5 nations at one group. (Wir machen 4 Gruppen mit je 5 Ländern)

In every group every nations plays against every over nation. That means for every team 4 matches (In jeder Gruppe spielt jede Nation gegen jede andere. Das bedeutet 4 Matches für jede Nation)

The two best teams of each groups are qualifed for the quarter final (Die besten 2 Teams von jeder Gruppe qualifizieren sich für das Viertelfinale)

And than (Und dann)

Quarterfinal I : First of Group A vs. Second of Group B
Quarterfinal II : First of Group C vs. Second of Group D
Quarterfinal III : First of Group B vs. Second of Group A
Quarterfinal IV : First of Group D vs. Second of Group C

Semifinal alpha : Winner Quarterfinal  I vs. Winner Quarterfinal II
Semifinal beta : Winner Quarterfinal III vs. Winner Quarterfinal IV

Final: Winner semifinal alpha vs. Winner semifinal beta

If there are more than 20 nations at the beginning, we could talk about a qualifing to find the best 20 or 16 teams out.

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:30 am »

If there are too much countries i have got an idea for the qualifing

For example, we have 4 teams from America, 4 from Asia, 2 from Australia and 15 from Europe.
Than me make a group with All American teams, and only the best of them will play on the tournament
We make a group with the Asia teams, only the best will qualifing for the tournament.
We make 3 Europaen groups, only the best of each group and the best on the second place will play on the tournament.
So we have got 6 teams so far.

Now, the second of the American group plays against the second of the Asian group, the winner will qualifing.
And now, the loser of this match, plays against the winner of the Australian group,
so we have got 8 teams.

This is only an example. Depending on how much teams from each continent will take a part, we must vary this system

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2013, 12:59:04 pm »

Sounds like fun. I'd like to see the results, and potentially play (U.S., not sure how deep the team already is).

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2013, 04:00:58 pm »

Any players from Poland here to join me and make a team?

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2013, 05:43:34 pm »

If there arent enought players in the forum of you country,

ask you friends

Its not a problem if your team havnt a high Goko Rang,

Slyfox

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +78
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:55 am »

I'd be interested in playing for Team USA.  It sounds like several of the top players aren't from the US, so I guess it depends on how deep in the rankings one needs to go to find the requisite number of players from the US. (I just broke the top 10 on Goko's rankings for the first time and I'm 15th on the Unofficial Goko Trueskill ranking, so it might be plausible.)

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2013, 09:07:23 am »

/in for a Trinidad and Tobago team, if there can be one.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2013, 02:46:29 pm »

Trinidad and Tobago, that would be cool and exotic.

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2013, 12:12:02 pm »

Here you have got the rules
Official Rules of  Dominion Team Tournament:
1. Generally
1.1 Language
The official language of the tournament is English. If there are translations in other languages, in cases of doubt, the English wording would be correct.
1.2 Inofficial tournament
This tournament is an inofficial, no commercial tournament.

2. Contestants

2.1 The contestants of the International Dominion Team Tournaments are Teams.
2.2 Every nation of the world can only sent 1 Team to the Tournament.
2.3 Which players represent a nationality, is a topic of the nation. But every citizien of a nation must have a chance to play on the premilinaries of this nations. 
2.4  A person can only play for a country where he is citizien or where he lifes. It is not allowed that some persons play in two teams or play in the preliminaries of two nations.
2.5 In each teams there can be maximum 7 members. If a nation finds not more than 3 members, the members of this nation are allowed to taking part in the premilnaries of other nations.

3. The matches
3.1 The matches In one match, there are 8 duells. So Remis are possible.  8 players from Nation A play versus 8 players from Nation B in 2 player matches. This matches called Single Matches. Each player of a nation could only take a part in one of this matches, so far this is possible. If a team has not 8 players in the team, some players are allowed to play twice. All 8 single matches will be played, also when one nation wins 5 of it before all duells will be played.
3.2 The single matches   Single matches are Best of 5 matches. The player who starts the first match is the player from the nation that is called first in the encounter. After the first match the start player will changed.

4. Modus of the Tournament
4.1 The tournament is playing in two main rounds. The first round is the group round. The nations are splitting in groups. In each group every nation plays against every other nation in this group. The best teams of each group comes into the KO-Round. The number of groups, the number of teams in each group and the number of the teams coming into the KO-Round is depending on the number of teams taking part on the tournament.
 4.2 The ranking of the teams in one group is deciding with this arguments.
The nations in one group sorted by the number of points they get in ALL GAMES. For a victory they get 3 points, for a Remis 1, and for a defeat 0 points.
When after this two or more nations have the same number of points, this nations sorted by the number of points they get in the games they get in the direct comparison.
When after this two or more nations have the same number of points in the direct comparison, this nations sorted by relationship of won and lost single matches in the direct comparison.
When after this two or more nations have the same relationship of won and lost matches in the direct comparison, this nations sorted by the number of won single matches in the direct comparison.
When after this two or more nations have the same number of won single matches in the direct comparison, this nations sorted by relationship of won and lost single matches in all Games, than they sorted by the won single matches in All Games.
After that all the Lot will decide about the position.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2013, 06:49:17 pm »

In each teams there can be maximum 7 members.
8 players from Nation A play versus 8 players from Nation B in 2 player matches. If a team has not 8 players in the team, some players are allowed to play twice.

So basically in every match there will be at least 1 player playing twice? With a maximum of 7 players, it's impossible to have 8 players.

The english was at times not that good, but I think everything was understandable :)

With it being allowed to play twice, it would be better to only find the 4 best players of a nation, and then let them play twice, instead of finding a full team. I don't like that.

It should be allowed to make teams with players from countries that are too small instead of having to attempt to play for a team that is big enough to have a preliminary round.

There's still 2 rules I think is missing:

1. A rule regarding setups.
I'd suggest having a rule that says, that the player, who owns the most cards, sets up a random game with all of his/her cards.

2. A rule regarding how much it's allowed to talk with your team members during a match.

GwinnR

• Tactician
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:55 am »
+1

2. A rule regarding how much it's allowed to talk with your team members during a match.
I think noone should be allowed to talk to his team members. If it would be allowed, we could say, that just one player plays all games: One of his own, the other games by telling the other team members what to do.
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

PitzerMike

• Young Witch
  • Longtime Pearldiver
  • Respect: +110
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2013, 02:57:53 am »

I'm in for Austria.
I havn't played on Goko yet, so I don't know if that's a problem. I might buy some sets in the near future though.

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2013, 05:00:16 am »
+2

I would recommend to buy all sets at once, it is cheaper if you want to buy all cards anyway. It's ~35€ to buy all expansions including Guilds.

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2013, 05:13:02 pm »

Cause we have so much teams, i have got an idea. A qualifing.
Here is my idea for this.

We have places for 16 teams in the 1st round.

Place 1 goes to the representative of Asia.
We have two teams in Asia Japan and Hong Kong, so Japan plays a match against Hong Kong, the winner is qualifed for the tournament.

Place 2 goes to the represantative of Australia and Oceania
We have two teams there, Australia and New Zealand, so New Zealand plays against Australia, the winner is qualifed for the tournament.

Place 3 goes to a other representative of Asia or Australia and Oceania
The loser of the Asian qualifing match plays against the loser of New Zealand qualifing match, the winner is qualifed for the tournament.

Place 4 and 5 go to the representative of Northern America
We have Trinidad and Tobago, Canada and the United States their, cause this nations play in a group of 3 teams, the best two teams are qualifed.

Place 6 goes to an other representative of Northern America or to Argentinia, the only team from Southern America
So the last team of the Northern America group plays against Argentinia, the winner is qualifed.

Places 7 - 16 goes to the representatives of Europe. We have 14 teams their, so we make 2 groups of 4 members and too groups if 3 members. The best two teams of each group and the best two teams on the third plays are qualifed for the tournament.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2013, 05:41:02 am »

I think noone should be allowed to talk to his team members. If it would be allowed, we could say, that just one player plays all games: One of his own, the other games by telling the other team members what to do.

I would be fine with this (assuming you only mean during the matches), but it should be a written rule.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 09:31:53 am »

If we can play for the country in which we are currently residing (without being a citizen), I'd volunteer for Australia.  I'm not good enough for the USA team, but I think sheer lack of numbers would mean I have a shot at the Aussie team. :)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Leo1997

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2013, 06:58:01 am »

Very good,

ps:

i will be in vacation for two weeks now

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:02 pm »

I'm interested in either be part of Team Russia or, if no one else is intersted, try to organize one

bama

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 01:44:01 pm »

Would be interested in helping the US team...not sure if I make the cut though, plus haven't played in about a month, so out of practice.

Hopefully Gokodom gets me back in...

In terms of structure, since you're calling this the "World Cup", couldn't you model it after FIFA World Cup?  Qualifying regions with pool play, seeded groups in the finals with pool play leading up to a bracket?  And use the 3/1/0 point system?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:45:30 pm by bama »

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2013, 04:00:25 pm »
+2

In terms of structure, since you're calling this the "World Cup", couldn't you model it after FIFA World Cup?  Qualifying regions with pool play, seeded groups in the finals with pool play leading up to a bracket?  And use the 3/1/0 point system?

World Cup is quite a common term for worldwide competitions, not only in football. Besides, there is no reason to punish draws here
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.