Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Advice for organizing a tounament  (Read 3326 times)

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
Advice for organizing a tounament
« on: November 01, 2011, 10:02:24 am »

In my department at school I am thinking of starting an 8ish player Dominion tournament. Any advice on the format we should use? We're thinking all 2p games, starting with a full round robin (each match best 2 out of 3), moving to single elimination.

Also, someone suggested we have a couple of vanity awards (like 'most points gained in a single turn', 'won with fewest points' etc.) Any other fun ideas?

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for organizing a tounament
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 11:24:38 am »

If you're going to do the round robin, why bother with single elimination? Seeding doesn't seem like it's going to be that big a reward in a game this random.

If people are willing to round-robin on that scale, I think a 14 game double round robin with play order interchanged (one match you're first, one match you're second) would be good.

mathguy

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »

If you're going to do the round robin, why bother with single elimination? Seeding doesn't seem like it's going to be that big a reward in a game this random.

I forgot to mention, this isn't going to be a one night tournament. It will probably take place over a couple of weeks with people playing their games at their leisure.

Also, seeding does seem important; I have a far easier time beating the three weakest players than I do the three strongest players.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 07:07:11 am »

Just use the Swiss System.

It's used in Chess as well and should work perfectly for your tournament.

The plus side is that there is no elimination, so all players will play the same amount of matches.
For a tournament that takes place during a couple of weeks with the same group of people, this may be the preferred method.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 11:02:51 am »
+4

In my department at school I am thinking of starting an 8ish player Dominion tournament. Any advice (...)?
Award prizes to the top 5, in the following order: (1) a horse, (2) two slaves, (3) a chick, (4) a bag of candy preferably those coin chocolates, and (5) a crown.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 05:31:38 am »

ackack's suggestion is bit more like a league rather than a tournament (with turn order being the home/away replacement), but a league would be fine too, and a lot simpler. It depends whether you want a 'thrilling climax' or not I suppose, that head-to-head finale.

Edit - actually, a league kind of takes place periodically, so it probably is a round-robin tournament. I'm just splitting hairs here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:33:56 am by Octo »

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:14:33 am »

I'll second the vote for a Swiss system.  You get a final game that's quite a lot like a final that way anyway, and the seeding sorts itself out if it isn't very good to start with.  I played a blood bowl tournament using this format and it worked really well.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 11:27:21 am »
+2

8 players is a bit too small for a Swiss system, unless you're really short of time and can only fit three or four rounds in. You've got the time for seven rounds; you might as well do an all-play-all.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »

Ideas for vanity prizes:

Lowest Winning Score, as you suggested (always amusing to lose/win something like 2 points to 1)
Biggest Winning Score (obviously)
Domination (all 8 provinces bought, first player only, kind of link 147 break in snooker)
Quickest Win
Most Cursed Player (will involve running total though, either tot up at end, or keep running score of curses given that count even if trashed)
erm...
Quickest Province (bit luck based though)
Biggest Purchase, as you suggested is good though it has to be coin actually spent of course
hmmm, drawing blanks now.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.