Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Balance between base and echoes cards  (Read 2543 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Balance between base and echoes cards
« on: July 20, 2013, 03:00:05 pm »

I have a question about general strategic play. Is there any reason you would want specifically a base or echoes card ? Imagine you have an interesting echoes card in hand. Do you want to meld it as your first action, so you can draw another echoes card, or do you want to draw a base card first then meld the echoes ?

Early in the game, do you want to focus on having more icons than your opponent or do you prefer echoes card for a kind of long-term strategy ?

Of course, you'll say it depends on the board situation, but how ?

WinterSpartan

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +10
    • View Profile
Re: Balance between base and echoes cards
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:53 pm »

I in general prefer to have the echoes cards. There are of course exceptions (Age 6 looking for Industrialization, or Age 10 trying to run out the decks, for instance), but usually more echoes = more fun.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:00:54 pm »

Nah, I'd go far as to say you always want echoes cards because they're broken and overall more powerful.  You still might want to use card counting on the base stack to see  if one of the most powerful base cards is coming up.

Having fewer icons ends up not really being a disadvantage because there are at least 4 categories of icons.  Your opponent can't stay ahead in all four, and if you're executing echoes dogmas and he's executing base dogmas, you're gonna come out ahead.

I'm not even sure whether going after Industrialization when the 6 stack is full is worth it.  The worst base 6's can disappoint a lot harder than the worst echoes 6's, and Hot Air Balloon has some pretty WTF power.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »

I have the impression that echoes cards are better with the expansion Figures in the sand, because with figures you are less focused on getting the majorities (sharing a dogma gives a Figure card)

But without Figures, I'm still not convinced that echoes are so much better... majorities are important particularly for supremacy dogmas.

ksasaki

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:42:33 am »

echoes cards are much better, in general.  There are no "echoes" or "foreshadows" in base, two very broken abilities.  I usually snoop around age 1 echoes looking for a splay left echo (i.e. umbrella or chopsticks).

Echo effects: it's like having an extra action, you should just spam it like crazy (unless shared, but sometimes also helps shares.  Ever had ruler tucked under math?  It's a forced share of math, over and over again as long as they have at least 2 light bulbs).

Foreshadows: you get to meld 2 cards + take a dogma action, it's a 3-1 special! 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.