Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: derelict - ruins are his home  (Read 2403 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
derelict - ruins are his home
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:39:09 am »

derelict
choose one:+1  action,
or +1$;
reveal cards from your deck until you revealed 2 ruins
play them in any order.
discard the rest.
you may gain a ruins.

action-looter 3 $

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: derelict - ruins are his home
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:03:38 am »

Sounds possibly really strong. Play 2 from your deck is kinda like +2 cards +2 actions. Of course the actions and cards are both weaker than normal. But I would probably remove the choice part of it, just give it some other vanilla bonus. Probably make it nonterminal too, because I like the strategy of Golem where you don't know if it will be your last action or not.

But that's just me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:54 am »

Funny because personnally I think it's too weak... having 2 ruins in the deck is not really great and they can hurts your hand. Also, if there are no other looters on the board it's not so easy to get two ruins and you usually don't want them...

I really like the concept otherwise.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 10:42:53 am »

Funny because personnally I think it's too weak... having 2 ruins in the deck is not really great and they can hurts your hand. Also, if there are no other looters on the board it's not so easy to get two ruins and you usually don't want them...

Yes; and I feel like Goleming up two Ruins compares unfavorably to just playing a Pawn, where you can at least choose which two vanilla effects you get.

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

The biggest problem with this card is that at it's current strength, on the vast majority of boards it will be a dead card. It probably needs to be strong enough to make it a viable strategy to clutter your hand with Ruins.

It will seldom be worth cluttering your hand with Ruins (even 2 Ruins) just to have this in play. If you are going for a Vineyards, Gardens or Fairgrounds strategy, then this a decent support; and maybe if it's a board with Menagerie or Horn of Plenty, it would be worthwhile.

But generally, there are only three cards in the game (out of 200 +promos) that force Ruins to be in play. And for all of those, you would generally be better off trashing Ruins (if possible) vs. trying to play them.

With Derelict, in a best case scenario, it's a $3 Lab (if you can acquire the right Ruins), but it's very unlikely you'll be able to stack more than one Derelict for positive results. And in the meantime, with most of your hands (unless you slow your deck by buying a bunch of Derelicts), you'll have Ruins drawn dead into your hand.

I think it would be a more interesting card if were both higher strength but also higher skill. Maybe make it a terminal action, but make it:

Derelict ($3)
Action-Looter
You may gain a Ruins and put it on top of your deck.
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal 2 Ruins. Discard the other cards and play each Ruins card twice, in either order.

This way, the card is potentially as strong as something like Tribute, but at the expense of cluttering your hand with Ruins.

I'm still not sure it would be worth buying this card, but I think at $3 with potential power, it would be worth thinking about -- I suspect it would be a trap card rather than a power card, but I think it would be a trap worth considering.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:12 pm »

In games without Cultist or Marauder, it's going to be very hard to make it worthwhile polluting your own deck with Ruins; and then when they're available, people won't buy Cultist or Marauder anyway, because they'll be helping their opponents. If it needs Ruins to be usable, make it give Ruins to the other players; then you'll get Ruins from your opponents, but you can use this card to mitigate their attacks while attacking back.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:07:37 pm by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:37:43 pm »

In games without Cultist or Marauder, it's going to be very hard to make it worthwhile polluting your own deck with Ruins; and then when they're available, people won't buy Cultist or Marauder anyway, because they'll be helping their opponents. If it needs Ruins to be usable, make it give Ruins to the other players; then you'll get Ruins from your opponents, but you can use this card to mitigate their attacks while attacking back.

oh that is a nice idea

Delerict - 4$
each other player gains a ruins putting it on top of his deck.
the player to your left reveals cards until he has reveald 2 ruins. play them in any order, then return one of them to the left plaeyers top deck, discard the other ruin and the remaining revealed cards into his discard pile.
Action Attack Looter

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »

That is... weird, and not what I was going for. More like, "Each other player gains a Ruins. Dig for two Ruins, play them." Giving Ruins to other players is already a benefit, you don't need to benefit more from your opponents having Ruins. My point was just that if the card doesn't work without Ruins in your deck, the simple way to get them there isn't to gain them for yourself (because who wants that?), but for your opponents to give them to you.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 05:04:11 pm »

But then nobody will want to buy it because then everyone else will buy one too then the card won't do much to them.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »

Sure it will. Having a Ruins-Golem doesn't mean you want Ruins; and even if you do want Ruins, you only want two of them. Anyway, even if it's as you describe, it's a Prisoner's Dilemma; if I buy it, you have to buy it too, even if we were both better off not buying it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.312 seconds with 20 queries.