Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Victory cost reduction  (Read 1908 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Victory cost reduction
« on: July 19, 2013, 06:29:37 am »

lord chamberlain
+1action
+1$
Victory cards cost 1$ less this turn but not less than 0$

Action 4$

basicaly a silver with a bonus for victory cards.
it allows nice tricks with trash for benefit cards like Upgrading a Gold in a province or stonemasing a Peddler for 2 provinces.

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
Re: Victory cost reduction
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 11:59:52 am »
+1

I think I like this card... but I suspect it would be too powerful at $4 because it's non-terminal and has such powerfulcumulative effects -- in many games, this would be more powerful than Bridge.

The reason being that since the point of the game is Victory cards, this allows all sorts of tricks like the one you mentioned. With two Chamberlains in play, you'd suddenly be able to use Rogue and Knights to trash your opponents' Provinces or Swindler to turn Provinces into Golds. And Rogue or Graverobber to pull those Provinces back out of the trash and into your deck. Yes, you can pull some of those tricks with Bridge, but it's much harder to do so since it's non-terminal, and the Swindler trick wouldn't work at all, since Bridge reduces the cost of ALL cards.

Same with all the TFB cards... a couple of Chamberlains, and all of a sudden Forge, Remodel, Expand, etc... have a much easier time churning out Provinces...

Still, I like the card -- I like those kinds of tricks -- but it would need playtesting to determine cost to see at what cost it is balanced.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 01:57:20 pm »

It's probably fine.  Those tricks can be done with Highway too.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:09 pm »

Yeah. A better comparison is highway.
Going from $4 to $5, highway does the following:

-$1
+1 card
Discount effects everything, not just VP cards

Seems pretty reasonable.

Compare Quarry and Highway:
-$1
+1 card
-1 "discount"
Discount effects everything, not just action cards

It definitely needs play testing. Maybe it needs to be a treasure? Maybe it needs -2 discount (but take away the $1?). How does it play with a Throne Room? Etc.

Ed

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:27:46 pm »

It isn't better than Bridge; it doesn't require +actions, instead it does require +buys, which are actually harder to come by. Market Square is the only cantrip +buy for under $5; there are many sub-$5 Villages. Bridge also helps you get more engine components. I would expect to pull off a Bridge megaturn faster than a Lord Chaimberlain megaturn.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »

It isn't better than Bridge; it doesn't require +actions, instead it does require +buys, which are actually harder to come by. Market Square is the only cantrip +buy for under $5; there are many sub-$5 Villages. Bridge also helps you get more engine components. I would expect to pull off a Bridge megaturn faster than a Lord Chaimberlain megaturn.

Worker's Village is a cantrip +buy. Hamlet is not cantrip, but almost as good, and easy to spam. Candlestick maker is at least non-terminal +buy, and Pawn is probably fine for this job. I don't see a lot of cantrip +buy at 5+.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:39:54 pm »

I forgot Worker's Village, good point - but Worker's Village helps Bridge too, with the extra action instead of the extra buy. Anything else requires more draw, and therefore more Villages to power the draw engine, even if they are themselves non-terminal.

My point about $5 wasn't that there's lots of cantrip +buy at $5+ (Market, Grand Market, ...?) but that it's much easier (and therefore, quicker) to get, especially in multiples, cards that cost less than $5.

Bridge is one of those cards that is O(n^2): 5 Bridges can't quite buy 2 Provinces, 6 Bridges buys exactly 3, but 7 Bridges buys 7 Provinces. This category includes cards such as Goons and Merchant Guild, and not Lord Chaimberlain.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 20 queries.