Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Destroyed By Swindler  (Read 1338 times)

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Destroyed By Swindler
« on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:44 am »

This is about as bad as I've ever lost a game! I'm playing against one of my an IRL buddy that moved away while we face time. We got some pretty good laughs out of this game! I get 5/2 vs. his 4/3 and go for Rebuild/Embargo and he goes for Swindler/Swindler.  I figure with a Rebuild opening I can plow through points real fast, Swindling my Coppers doesn't really hurt, however Outpost is a pretty nasty target for my 5s. 

I Embargo Silver on T3 since I don't need any economy, and I figure that will slow him some.  I am able to get 3 Rebuilds while his deck is just colliding swindlers.  I figure its over at this point, and i should be able to win pretty quickly.  I continue to make a Rebuild vs. BM type deck; I get a few estates and cellars so i can play my Rebuilds more often.

While I'm building this common deck archetype he Swindles all Rebuilds into Outpost on Turn 4/6/9. Suddenly I'm left with a deck with NO economy built to play a key card it neither has nor can afford. Obviously things didn't go very well from here.

I think I got pretty unlucky here, but Swindler is not bad against Rebuild, especially with a really bad 5.  Also I think Market Square would crush Swindler/Swindler on a  4/3, but I thought Rebuild would be fast enough, but it wasn't.

Cellar, Embargo, Herbalist, Squire, Market Square, Swindler, Market, Outpost, Rebuild, Upgrade

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130715/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1373930847497.txt

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyed By Swindler
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 12:10:40 pm »
+2

There's a few more things to tease out from this game:
- You probably want to get your starting estates promoted up to provinces quickly. This gives you a lead that will look great once your provinces are swindled. To get those starting  cards promoted you shouldn't buy any more estates early.
- The market square is going to be good with the swindler and rebuild (and upgrade if you take that route).
- Completely trashing out your economy to rely on rebuild seems one way to fail with rebuild. If you are buying estates instead of duchies you lose turns promoting them up, you are reliant on draws, and can lose control of the duchy or province pile (if either is important). Rebuild+deck cycling+card gaining can still be good of course.

edit - playing with key cards against swindlers is a gamble too of course
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:57:19 pm by DG »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 12:51:44 pm »

Hitting every single Rebuild with Swindler was just pure luck I think.  Embargoing Silver was probably a bad move though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 01:00:16 pm »
+2

Embargoing Silver should be because you're about to buy a Market Square or two. I think Embargoing Gold is going to be better, though, unless your opponent really doesn't have that much Silver; a Rebuild player just doesn't need Gold at all, but a BM player totally relies on it.

Getting all of your Rebuilds hit is super bad luck, I'd have ragequit! But you should have had some economy, to buy even more Rebuilds (in the non-mirror) and then Duchies to get Provinces ASAP.

In the lead, you want to trash VP from the supply as fast as possible, and Provinces almost turn your opponent's Swindlers into your friends.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 03:20:22 pm »

Embargoing Silver was probably a bad move though.

I'm curious why Embargoing Silver is a bad move.  My opponent has no silvers at that point and the only Silver kingdom card is Swindler which is terminal.  This has a pretty good chance of slowing down his economy; its fairly hard to get to Gold with only a couple terminal Silvers in his deck.  He can gain silver via Squire, but that's probably pretty slow.  It should even slow down his ability to get to 5 a little, which is really what he wants for Upgrade or Rebuild. 

I probably should have tried to get some economy, but if swindler was not there, I think I'd be in pretty good shape with 3 rebuilds in my deck and a lot of cycling. I think DG is right, relying on a few key cards against Swindler is pretty risky, and I got unlucky. Swindler is just really high variance card, if he hit only my Coppers, I would probably have won as bad as I lost, with the same strategy.

Getting all of your Rebuilds hit is super bad luck, I'd have ragequit!

I would have probably left at this point if I wasn't playing a friends of mine, it was pretty frustrating to get killed that badly.  It's a lot easier to take that kinda lucky when you know the person getting lucky.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.