Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trade Route/Trade Route Open  (Read 1295 times)

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
Trade Route/Trade Route Open
« on: July 16, 2013, 01:37:41 am »

There are almost no situations that you would ever want to open TR/TR.  It kills your economy at the price of very lousy trashing.  However this game had just the right set up to make it the best opening. At first look I didn't notice Colonies, and thought GM was ignorable, and that some BM would win; likely with a sprinkling of Lighthouse/Swindler/Fishing Village mostly to react to what your opponent does. 

However Colonies change everything! A Colony game gives you so many more points that you have enough time to get to Grand Markets. Swindler would be a big threat without Lighthouse, but with lighthouse, I can just trash down to a trim deck that has 2 Lighthouses. His early Swindler only hurts if it hits one of my TRs, since I want to trash all my starting cards.  It takes me quite a while to build back any economy, but once I do I am able to win the GM split 7/3 and its just about over at that point.

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130715/log.50775a4a0cf28ed55d9d6fd3.1373952465950.txt

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Trade Route/Trade Route Open
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 01:53:05 am »
+1

Aw man, I was about to post this log! I mean, long story short I got outplayed really hard, but I think there's a couple things that help out here.

1. Lighthouse costs $2, meaning that even after you trash a card with Trade Route, you'll be able to buy one. You're going to want one anyways, which means that you don't get slowed down too much from trashing.

2. My Swindler hits Overgrown Estate, which is just about the worst target. A bit faster cycling, but more importantly it's a free trash. I don't think it would have affected the outcome, but trashing 3 cards before 2nd shuffle, while buying useful cards T3 and T4 compares favorably to a Chapel opening in my opinion.

I think the big thing here is the Lighthouse cost + Colonies. Colonies = longer game = trashing is better because trashing is inherently a sacrifice short term, win long term play. Lighthouse is cheap enough to pick up almost any turn you'd want it, is necessary to guard against Swindler, and isn't bad money wise either (helps that it gives non-Copper $ as well.)
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 03:24:23 pm »

+1 to Titandrake, you do a better job of explaining what I was thinking than I do.  I had forgotten about that OE hit turn 3, that is incredibly bad luck.  Ruins Shelters are a bit of a deterrent against Swindler, but I don't think they are a hard counter by any means.   

Edit: Switched Ruins to Shelters
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 03:49:29 pm by eliegel34 »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 03:25:16 pm »

Ruins are a bit of a deterrent against Swindler,

Shelters, of course.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.