Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: When opening terminals miss the reshuffle  (Read 18791 times)

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
Re: When opening terminals miss the reshuffle
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2013, 07:12:40 pm »

The term was used for Magic before it was used for Dominion.

I didn't realize that. I don't know a whole lot about Magic but it seems like that idea would be more relevant in that sphere, where there's a wider range of cards that could be in play at any given time.

But I have to wonder, do Magic players have this same argument? Edge cases are pretty much the entire game.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2013, 08:44:19 pm »

I quoted a nice definition from a mtg wiki earlier in this thread.  Maybe I was a bit too adamant about there being *no* exceptions.  But I think it is fair to say that forced discard or forced trashing are not strictly worse or better than not having that on a card, and it should be very, very obvious that Scheme cannot be strictly better than Sea Hag because they are completely different cards.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2013, 12:44:30 pm »

And now, assuming the MtG wiki can be trusted, I can answer my own question.

The convention is well understood among experienced Magic players. However, those new to the terminology may complain that a strictly better card is not better in all situations than a strictly worse card. For example, Shock is a better card to draw than Lightning Bolt if both players are at two life and the opponent controls a Booby Trap naming Lightning Bolt. Such examples are not a failure of the terminology; it compares only the attributes of the cards regardless of obscure situations that may arise in play.

So yeah they do have this argument, but there's still general consensus about it.

Edit: VVV Yeah sorry I'll stop posting if it's not about terminal collisions.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 02:48:40 pm by shMerker »
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2013, 02:34:23 pm »
+4

I think this discussion has become strictly worse than it should.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 20 queries.