Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33  All

Author Topic: Brag Board  (Read 227485 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Brag Board
« Reply #575 on: December 12, 2016, 03:44:25 pm »

Thanks for the detailed info! I've been trying 5x5 stronglifts too for the past 3 months, but I had barely ever done any lifting before, so I am starting from scratch. I have been tracking what I eat, and I am somewhere around 140-145 pounds, so obviously I don't expect to lift anything similar to what you do.

What I've been finding most difficult is solving my shoulder pain (from being hunched over a laptop for the past 7 years), which makes standing overhead tricky (I am doing it seated at the moment), and even forces me to be careful with the bench press. But also one of my legs is an inch or two shorter than the other, which means that squatting is by default fairly messed up for me, I am moving to single leg squats for the time being because "heavy" (for me) squats were actually downright painful.

I actually enjoy the few exercises that don't make some pre-existing condition flare up :p

I think definitely do standing overhead, not seated.  Standing forces you to engage your core.  I'd keep doing low weight (even if it's just the bar) and work on form.  My biggest problems are standing overhead and bench press as well.  Overhead press is awkward for me to get the right form, and bench press causes some shoulder pain unless I'm very careful.  I think in my case it's due to me swinging my right arm a lot for volleyball.  I think my upper pec is not really firing like the other muscles are, which makes the shoulder muscles (front delt) try to overcompensate.  I've been trying some isolation exercises there; I'll see if it helps.

I still need to fix my overhead press form.  I think I need to get my elbows a little more in front to create a better "platform" to start the lift from.  I also have a tendency to arch my back. This guy is pretty good about form for the basic power lifts:

For bench press, I've found it's very important to keep your elbows tucked in and bring the bar down towards your abdomen instead of directly to the chest.  (So a kind of diagonal path instead of vertical path.)  Also draw the shoulder blades together.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 12, 2016, 04:09:50 pm »
+1

The problem with standing overhead is just that I don't have the shoulder flexibility to do it properly, so I have to arch my back more than seems healthy (in the long term) to get the bar over my head. It's covered in the video, and a lot of these videos recommend shoulder dislocates, but that's not actually a good idea unless you already have pretty good shoulder mobility. In time, maybe. Right now, seated is the only one feasible for me.

I have the same problem as you for bench presses, my front delts are doing most of the work... which uh have lead to my shoulder muscles having a bit of a weird shape at the moment. I need to add something for my back deltoids after the Christmas break.

Man, when I started the porgram, I thought the hardest part would be staying motivated throughout, but turns out that it was figuring out the proper form to target the relevant muscles without hurting myself :p
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 12, 2016, 04:14:57 pm »
+1

Yeah, that you're tracking everything and can see progression, and also have little details to research and focus on, means that it keeps you actively engaged for a long time.  It's been six months for me, and a lot of times I'm still pretty psyched to go lift.  (Though there are definitely days where I'm really tired and really have to make myself go.)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 12, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »
+5

On Saturday I hiked all 5 peaks of Hanging Rock state park; which is 11 miles; 2,200 ft elevation change.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 12, 2016, 08:33:50 pm »
+1

You can also try some goblet squats.  i warm up with those and I find it helps a lot with balance and depth.  Focus on keeping knees pushed out while you're at the bottom an going up.  Should feel glute activation.

I switched one day out of three with box Squats (at a lighter weight, only up to 275) instead of regular ones.  Those are good for developing form as well.  I might suggest quite low weight box Squats and see if there is any pain, and if not gradually work up.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 09:45:06 pm by Witherweaver »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 21, 2016, 04:51:30 pm »
+8

I got into the University of Michigan! Given that I've lived in Ann Arbor my whole life, I'd prefer to go somewhere else, but after being deferred to regular action by my top two choices a bit of good news is quite a relief.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm a high school senior going through the terrible undergraduate college admissions process.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 04:53:07 pm by liopoil »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 21, 2016, 05:20:57 pm »

You can also try some goblet squats.  i warm up with those and I find it helps a lot with balance and depth.  Focus on keeping knees pushed out while you're at the bottom an going up.  Should feel glute activation.

I switched one day out of three with box Squats (at a lighter weight, only up to 275) instead of regular ones.  Those are good for developing form as well.  I might suggest quite low weight box Squats and see if there is any pain, and if not gradually work up.

Sorry, missed this. I am trying to stretch a bit better now (butterflies, mainly). It seems to help a bit. I will try regular squats again after the Christmas break, will see how it goes.

The pain was there even for zero weight, it just graduated from "localized uncomfortable feeling" all the way up to "piercing pain" depending on the weight. Some googling suggested that I am not stretching properly before and after the work out *shrugs*
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 23, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
+1

Sorry, missed this. I am trying to stretch a bit better now (butterflies, mainly). It seems to help a bit. I will try regular squats again after the Christmas break, will see how it goes.

The pain was there even for zero weight, it just graduated from "localized uncomfortable feeling" all the way up to "piercing pain" depending on the weight. Some googling suggested that I am not stretching properly before and after the work out *shrugs*

Squat stretching is extremely important for me.  Like I think I'd be injured without it.  When I don't warm up and stretch properly (I mean before even going to empty bar), I get pain in hip socket, lower back, knees.   Biggest things for me are:

1) Hip flexors
2) General hip mobility
3) IT band, hamstrings

First I warm up with foam roller for a few minutes.. hit IT bands, quads, hamstrings, glutes, and also right on the hip flexor (front of hip, above quad) itself.  Then I do these two:

1) Start in plank (hands and toes only touching ground), bring one foot up to the same-side hand (outside of it) and lunge into the hip socket, while keeping the other leg straight back (knee off ground).  There are a few variations here.  One is to make it dynamic, just move foot up to hand, stretch, move back, move other foot up, stretch, repeat.  Other is to hold there, and maybe move around slowly.  You can also drop the opposite knee to the ground and move the other leg through a bigger range of motion. 

2) Regular hip flexor stretch.  Start with one knee on the ground, other leg in front of you, knee bent 90 degrees with foot on ground.  In the leg that is on the ground, activate the glute and lean forward over your other knee (keep glute activated).  Should feel the stretch in the hip flexor, lean more for more stretch.  Hands can remain on the forward knee, and you can raise the arm on the side that is stretched to go deeper.  Hold for quite a while.

Also just getting in a complete depth squat with no weight, either (a) holding on to an anchor to get all the way down, or (b) holding a kettle bell/weight in front of you (i.e., goblet squat), and just holding the position (while keeping knees out). 

I also do single-leg deadlifts with a small weight (like under 40, though can probably go as low as 10 or so) in the opposite hand before doing squats.  I think this helps isolate some muscles  and works on imbalances between the legs.  Just doing the work to keep your balance there makes me feel a little stronger and more stable.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 23, 2016, 01:19:34 pm »

Thanks! This is very useful. I am stuck with body weight exercices for the next two weeks, so it's a good time to work on stretching.

By the way, how long are your work outs? Because mine are getting longer and longer, with the extra stretching, warm up and extra rest time between sets as I increase the weight. It started at about 30 mins, but now it's more like 1h30, and it can only get longer.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 23, 2016, 02:12:33 pm »
+1

Thanks! This is very useful. I am stuck with body weight exercices for the next two weeks, so it's a good time to work on stretching.

By the way, how long are your work outs? Because mine are getting longer and longer, with the extra stretching, warm up and extra rest time between sets as I increase the weight. It started at about 30 mins, but now it's more like 1h30, and it can only get longer.

Total time in gym is very long, almost two hours.  Because I do warmups for a long time.. like the stretching I was describing and some mobility for maybe 15 mins, then I do single-leg deadlifts/light goblet squats/jumps/jump squats to warmup, which is another 10 or 15.  Then I start squat.  Because I go heavy I take at least a couple minutes between sets, and they take some time to do.  I've deloaded squats and am working back up, so haven't failed those in a long time, but I pretty often fail to get full 5x5 on overhead press or bench presses, so that workout tends to take a while as I try to take the full 4--5 minutes after a failed set.

Also, sometimes I have to wait for squat or bench press to free up, because those are used quite a bit, and there is only a couple of each.  And depending on time/energy I do some stuff after the 5x5.. usually some isolation exercises and some extra core work (leg lifts or Russian twists or something similar).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: December 23, 2016, 02:16:03 pm »
+1

Also, I found those hip adductor/abductor machines are good to do... helps target the sides of your legs that are maybe.. 'support' for squats but not necessarily worked hard when you do squats.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #586 on: December 27, 2016, 08:20:03 am »
+7

My band's album was nominated for Folkmetalmagazine.com's Debut Album of 2016! (it's the one called Necro-Cannibal Machinery – Misanthropy)

http://www.folkmetalmagazine.com/debut-album-2016-nominees/
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 31, 2016, 11:14:16 pm »
+2

Got back up to 315 squat (5x5)  today, though now I'm 20 pounds lighter than last time I squatted that.  So I guess that's progress.  I think I'm getting lower, too, though I didn't get a chance to video myself so it's hard to tell.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: January 03, 2017, 08:32:42 am »
+5

I completed the black pipe stage in Mario Run
Well you *do* need a signature...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: January 19, 2017, 11:22:25 am »
+3

So yesterday I was under 200 lbs body weight (specifically, 199.2) for the first time since like one summer during grad school, and other than that since before high school I think.  I started weighing myself daily and recording it, just for some stats and reference.  I try to do the same time every day (when I wake up, before eating or drinking anything) for consistency. 

Weight moves in funny ways.  There seems to be preset 'plateaus' where its flat or oscillates, then drops drastically, then plateaus again, etc.  Like I was 201.2 for three days in a row (exactly, no movement at all), then dropped 200.2, then 199.2, and today jumped back up to 201.6.  I'm guessing the jump up today was because I ate a lot more carbs yesterday than usual (not any more calories, just less fat/protein and more carb), and you need to store more water when you store carbohydrates. 

I'm trying to drop around 5--10 more.  I may post a graph when I'm done if it looks interesting. 

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: January 24, 2017, 08:50:32 pm »
+12

Today I was named a Regeneron (formally known as Intel) Science Talent Search finalist! This means that I get to spend a week in Washington D.C. with the 39 other finalists from around the United States, among other awesome things. The competition consisted of submitting a research paper along with supplemental essays and information. My paper is also on the arXiv at https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.09774 !

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 03, 2017, 11:11:12 am »
+1

Today I was named a Regeneron (formally known as Intel) Science Talent Search finalist! This means that I get to spend a week in Washington D.C. with the 39 other finalists from around the United States, among other awesome things. The competition consisted of submitting a research paper along with supplemental essays and information. My paper is also on the arXiv at https://arxiv.org/abs/1610.09774 !

I love that you got in with a paper on thin sliced meat in Germany.  So yummy!
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 11, 2017, 07:13:30 am »
+4

2 golds out of two i categories i participated in at Moscow Irish Dance Championship!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 28, 2017, 03:23:12 pm »
+9

My wife made this for my birthday. It's not a print or something, she appliqued it (in case you're wondering, the German logo on the boxes differs a bit from the from the US one)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:39:07 pm by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 21, 2017, 12:53:12 pm »
+3

i broke the half as much as ww benchmark for deadlift & squat today
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #595 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:03 am »
+31

I'm going to be a father in four months!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 22, 2017, 11:41:26 am »
+1

i broke the half as much as ww benchmark for deadlift & squat today

Ha.  I've dropped some weight (at about 193 bodyweight now) and my lifts have gone down some.  I haven't gone above 275 deadlift, and my form starts to suffer after a rep or two.  I've also gone light on squats in favor of speed/explosion, so I only work up to 275 and then try to do fast sets (plyo-ish) of 135.  Basically, I'm trying to get more fast-twitch work than strength now.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:31 pm »
+2

ooh, then i broke the 3/5(ww) benchmark
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 22, 2017, 05:42:54 pm »
+2

Didn't know we had some aspiring powerlifters amongst us.

I don't know that my lifts are worth bragging about.

OHP - 125lbs
Bench - 195lbs
Squat - 305lbs
Deadlift - 385lbs

Height - 5'11"
Weight - 160lbs
Age - 39
Lifting for ~2 years.

Started with SL 5x% now doing Wendler 5/3/1.

Goal is 1/2/3/4 (that is # of plates on OHP/Bench/Squat/DL) by end of this year and 1000lbs club by July next year (40th birthday).

After that I'm looking to get a sub 17 minute 5K while maintaining those lift numbers as well as body weight.

I'll probably come brag when I achieve that.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 22, 2017, 06:00:58 pm »
+1

I started doing 5x5 a little under a year ago; saw pretty regular gains for about 6 months, I was around:

OHP: 115
Bench: 190
Squat: 355
Deadlift: 315
Row: 155

Max bodyweight was 225 (I'm 6'1").   Around November I cut my calorie intake a ton (probably by about 50%), at which case I stopped increasing weights for 5x5, but kept doing the routine (with goal to more or less maintain weight and improve form).  I actually deloaded as well to work more on form.  A month or two ago I switched my squat workout to light-weight speed squats instead of heavy squats (also sometimes box squats, etc.).  Right now I'm at

OHP: 95
Bench: 170
Squat: Warmup to 1x5 @ 275 then 3x10 or 5x5 speed sets @135.
Deadlift: 275
Row: 135

I also start with jumps/plyo type stuff.  I actually further deloaded bench press because when I go towards my upper limit, the shoulder muscles on my right arm seem to dominate and the pec on that side isn't really getting worked correctly, and also leads to pain in my arm.

I find it weird that a lot of people can deadlift more than they squat, but for me squatting is much easier.  It could just be because I've done it a lot more, so my body is more used to the motion.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 33  All

Page created in 1.324 seconds with 21 queries.