Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33  All

Author Topic: Brag Board  (Read 227434 times)

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
Re: Brag Board
« Reply #525 on: March 06, 2016, 10:37:15 pm »
+14

Excited to hit rank 1 on isotropic  :)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #526 on: April 03, 2016, 10:31:35 am »
+5

Finally I'm ranked above Stef. #9, whoo!
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 04, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
+13

I ranked third in the North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad, which means I'll be one of eight students representing the United States at the international linguistics olympiad this year!

The contest is in India, so this also means I get a free weeklong trip to India this summer!

:D

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 04, 2016, 08:57:45 pm »
+4

Played Texas Hold 'Em for the first time this past weekend and won $35. Game isn't that hard when people decide to heavily bluff when you have Straights and 4 of a Kinds...

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 05, 2016, 01:19:58 am »

I ranked third in the North American Computational Linguistics Olympiad, which means I'll be one of eight students representing the United States at the international linguistics olympiad this year!

The contest is in India, so this also means I get a free weeklong trip to India this summer!

Aww. I got 19th a few years ago. Now my best brag is gone.

(congrats! :))

Also, you should come study at CMU - we have great Computational Linguistics - in fact, the Language Technologies Institute is here (it's where NACLO is run from), and the CS classes are well taught and small enough you'll be able to do really well. It combines world-level professors with a classroom small enough that if you do well in the classes you can get into research very quickly. I'm a slightly-above-average student, and I got an internship at the LTI within less than a week from asking a professor.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 01:22:44 am by XerxesPraelor »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 05, 2016, 03:28:24 am »
+1

NACLO is something I wish I knew about in high school, because it looks like a great excuse to solve logic puzzles. Alas, that ship has sailed.

Speaking of which, Putnam results came out today...and I didn't make top 500, one of my solutions must not have been rigorous enough. Oh well.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: April 05, 2016, 11:42:59 am »
+2

Played Texas Hold 'Em for the first time this past weekend and won $35. Game isn't that hard when people decide to heavily bluff when you have Straights and 4 of a Kinds...
I don't have anything to brag about, but I happened to see this post and couldn't agree more with it.

I play Hold 'Em casually with a group of friends every once in a while, and I never fail to take them to the cleaners (okay, maybe I DO have something to brag about).  They don't seem to understand that you have to be better than they are for bluffing to work successfully on the whole - I just play the odds.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 05, 2016, 01:25:43 pm »

I took NACLO too, but I didn't even make the second round (barely). Definitely a lot of fun though, and that's very impressive!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 05, 2016, 02:08:38 pm »
+1

NACLO is something I wish I knew about in high school, because it looks like a great excuse to solve logic puzzles. Alas, that ship has sailed.

Speaking of which, Putnam results came out today...and I didn't make top 500, one of my solutions must not have been rigorous enough. Oh well.

If you were above the 60th percentile, you probably scored at least a point.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: April 06, 2016, 02:32:49 am »
+1

If you were above the 60th percentile, you probably scored at least a point.

Got 11. My guess is A1 correct, 1 point on B1 because I had the right idea, and 0 on the rest. Cutoff for top 500 was 13.

This year was a legendary 0 median year, so my score isn't that awful, but I made top 500 the last 3 years. Was hoping I could get there for all 4.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 06, 2016, 09:55:54 am »
+1

That's pretty good.  I think I only scored points one time I took it, and I got like less than 10.  Though I'm not even certain there.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 06, 2016, 06:44:16 pm »
+5

Aww. I got 19th a few years ago. Now my best brag is gone.

(congrats! :))

Also, you should come study at CMU - we have great Computational Linguistics - in fact, the Language Technologies Institute is here (it's where NACLO is run from), and the CS classes are well taught and small enough you'll be able to do really well. It combines world-level professors with a classroom small enough that if you do well in the classes you can get into research very quickly. I'm a slightly-above-average student, and I got an internship at the LTI within less than a week from asking a professor.

I was waitlisted at CMU. Although apparently if I go on the priority waitlist, I would have a pretty good chance of getting in. It's so expensive though, especially compared to going to university of maryland for free.

But since we are talking about CMU, I might as well brag some more: CMU hosted a math contest last saturday, and I won the combinatorics round and placed second at the computer science round!

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 17, 2016, 09:32:11 pm »
+7

Don't know where else to post this, so it might aswell go in here:

Yesterday, I placed second in the German offline Dominion Championship. I'm still a bit salty about losing the finals, since the competition wasn't too stiff. All the German Dominion overlords of f.ds who beat me up regularly weren't there. But hey, I won some (duplicate) expansions :) Any Germans around here who still need Intrigue, Seaside or Adventures?

Besides some funny plays, here is the funniest thing about the tournament: The marketing team of ASS (German publisher) decided that it is a good PR move to play with rules THAT THEY MISSPRINT instead of using the official ones. For example, you had to discard your Province to block someone elses tournament, as if Tournament wasn't strong enough. Hilarious stuff.

Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 18, 2016, 10:11:36 am »
+6

Exciting weekend news for me.  My wife and I can now be considered proud parents!

We brought home our little Napoleon last friday and have had a wonderful first weekend together. 

There's just something endearing about seeing a cute little 7 week old Vizsla puppy rolling around in the grass looking up at you with a playful expression.  :)
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 18, 2016, 12:43:42 pm »
+5

Exciting weekend news for me.  My wife and I can now be considered proud parents!

We brought home our little Napoleon last friday and have had a wonderful first weekend together. 

There's just something endearing about seeing a cute little 7 week old Vizsla puppy rolling around in the grass looking up at you with a playful expression.  :)

Be sure to train it so it doesn't 'Waterloo' all over your carpet!
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: August 13, 2016, 07:02:12 am »
+2

Since there is a place for bragging, I hit a new record of 300lbs for squat yesterday, and managed five sets of five reps to boot.  And my progressive workout increases the weight as long as I can complete five sets of five, so every workout will be a personal best as long as I can keep making them.

My big milestone goal is 315, which I can hopefully get to in another week, but I don't want to rush progress.

I didn't feel great about my form, but l still lifted it.  I do get low, but sometimes I feel an imbalance pushing up (right leg much stronger than left leg).

I was also able to do 285 deadlift, but only one rep.  I think I could have managed more, but the gym was closing and I felt like I was really rushing, which could lead to an injury.

My bench press and overhead press (standing) still suck though :/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: August 13, 2016, 08:18:43 am »

I'd like to try stronglift too, but I am super scared that I will break something important on the deadlift/squat without an experienced spotter... Are you supervised?

Congrats!
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: August 13, 2016, 09:53:49 am »

I'd like to try stronglift too, but I am super scared that I will break something important on the deadlift/squat without an experienced spotter... Are you supervised?

Congrats!

No.  Look up Stronglifts 5x5.  You start out at half your max (or just bar with no weights) and increase 5 lbs a workout.  So you can build up and focus on form.  It doesn't take long to build up to heavy.

I got a belt to use for greater than 275 squat/deadlift to be safe (and I've also had back issues from before).

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: August 13, 2016, 10:15:10 am »

Yes, but without supervision, how do you know whether you have proper form? Starting with lower weights only helps assuming you know what proper form is supposed to look like, otherwise you are just delaying the injury.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: August 13, 2016, 11:03:46 am »
+3

I'm currently working in my first job as a freelance storyteller for a video game. Also, my very own game (made with a friend) will be featured as a demo in a Virtual Reality showroom for a german boardgame publisher. And i'm still working on a boardgame with a friend, where we finally got to the phase of only individual card fixes and flavour changes, and are now looking for artists. And finally, there is nothing else going incredibly wrong, so i can really enjoy it.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: August 13, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »

I'm currently working in my first job as a freelance storyteller for a video game. Also, my very own game (made with a friend) will be featured as a demo in a Virtual Reality showroom for a german boardgame publisher. And i'm still working on a boardgame with a friend, where we finally got to the phase of only individual card fixes and flavour changes, and are now looking for artists. And finally, there is nothing else going incredibly wrong, so i can really enjoy it.
What's the game like?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: August 13, 2016, 12:36:47 pm »
+1

Yes, but without supervision, how do you know whether you have proper form? Starting with lower weights only helps assuming you know what proper form is supposed to look like, otherwise you are just delaying the injury.

Well, there are extensive videos, pictures, explanations that tell you how to do it.  Usually gyms have mirrors.  You can always ask people that look experienced, as well.  And you can take video of yourself.

Doing all that at low weight means you won't get hurt while learning.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: August 13, 2016, 12:38:04 pm »
+1

What's the game like?

It's electronic Dominion, but virtual reality so it feels like you're sitting around a table and shuffling real cards

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: August 13, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »

What's the game like?

It's electronic Dominion, but virtual reality so it feels like you're sitting around a table and shuffling real cards

http://www.templegatesgames.com/ascensionvr/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: August 13, 2016, 02:07:58 pm »
+1

What's the game like?

http://www.templegatesgames.com/ascensionvr/

I'd like to think this just makes my joke better.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.