Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33  All

Author Topic: Brag Board  (Read 227404 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Brag Board
« Reply #425 on: April 14, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
+12

I qualified for the USA Math Olympiad!

I was really stressed about this because I was really careless on the second qualifying exam, but it turns out I squeaked by anyway.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 14, 2015, 04:59:39 pm »
+3

I was really stressed about this because I was really careless on the second qualifying exam, but it turns out I squeaked by anyway.
Awesome! This is my goal next year. My index this year was 184.5 (AMC 10), and I was able to solve enough problems that if I hadn't made simple errors on any then my index would have been 216.5, which would be enough for USAJMO. However, it wouldn't be realistic to not make any silly mistakes, so the plan is to solve more problems next year!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 14, 2015, 05:05:35 pm »
+5

Awesome! This is my goal next year. My index this year was 184.5 (AMC 10), and I was able to solve enough problems that if I hadn't made simple errors on any then my index would have been 216.5, which would be enough for USAJMO. However, it wouldn't be realistic to not make any silly mistakes, so the plan is to solve more problems next year!

If only there were more questions involving hand probabilities and Watchtower.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: April 14, 2015, 05:25:48 pm »
+2

Aaaand now I have a problem to think about for a while. In a deck with necropolises, watchtowers, and confusions, what is the probability that I can draw it all in terms of the number of each card?

I'm confused as to what the point of drawing it all would be, unfortunately.

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 14, 2015, 05:52:50 pm »
+2

Aaaand now I have a problem to think about for a while. In a deck with necropolises, watchtowers, and confusions, what is the probability that I can draw it all in terms of the number of each card?

If you have 7 confusions, the probability is 0. Now that I have done the hard part, I am sure that you can finish it off  :) .

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 14, 2015, 07:32:04 pm »
+4

6 confusions: The bottom card must be a confusion, and I cannot at any point have 1 action, a watchtower in hand, and non-confusion cards left in my deck, nor can I have a hand without watchtowers and cards left in my deck.

Given 0 Watchtowers, the probability is 0.
Given 1 Watchtower, I must draw the watchtower and all necropolises in my starting hand. If you choose b elements from a set of size a, the probability that it contains c specific elements is (a - c) choose (b - c) divided by a choose b.  a = 7 + n, b = 5, c = 1 + n. Now we have that 6 choose (4 - n) divided by (7 + n) choose 5 is the probability that we draw our deck with one watchtower, 6 confusions, and n necropolises.
Given 2 Watchtowers, there have to be 1 to 9 necropolises in my deck for there to be a positive probability, and well... this is not so simple. I'm not even sure what the optimal number of necros is, two? That's another interesting question. Gut says you want roughly the same number of necros as watchtowers, in general.

For 6 confusions, for the probability to be positive we have w - 1 <= n <= 5w - 1, w > 0.

Wow, this got off topic fast. I'll, uh, pass the problem back to heron now...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:37:38 pm by liopoil »

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:08 pm »
+5

If you have 7 confusions, the probability is 0. Now that I have done the hard part, I am sure that you can finish it off  :) .

The general result is left as an exercise for the reader.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 15, 2015, 12:56:31 pm »
+1

If you have festival instead of Necropolis and Gold instead of confusion, how many golds is optimal in a deck with Max ten of the other cards in terms of buying points?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: April 15, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »
+1

Wow, this got off topic fast. I'll, uh, pass the problem back to heron now...

But how do you account for the masquerade?
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: April 29, 2015, 07:18:34 pm »
+3

Darn I only got like 14 points (rip IMO dream).
I really should have been able to solve all problems on day 1 (or at least 2 of them) but I did not have my wits about me and got trolled by #1 for almost 4 hours. And then I didn't have time to complex bash #2.
Then day 2 was really hard. #5 basically impossible. #6 wasn't too hard but I wasted too much time trying #5 because I thought that the test writers wouldn't make #6 way easier than #5. Darn. At least I got #4 in a half hour though.

#1 wasn't even hard, you just like apply the quadratic formula basically. I am sad now  :'(.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 02, 2015, 07:00:51 am »

How old are you who have taken this test? I'm just curious about something.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 02, 2015, 08:46:29 am »

I assume he is a junior or senior in highschool.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 02, 2015, 12:03:27 pm »
+2

Darn I only got like 14 points (rip IMO dream).
I really should have been able to solve all problems on day 1 (or at least 2 of them) but I did not have my wits about me and got trolled by #1 for almost 4 hours. And then I didn't have time to complex bash #2.
Then day 2 was really hard. #5 basically impossible. #6 wasn't too hard but I wasted too much time trying #5 because I thought that the test writers wouldn't make #6 way easier than #5. Darn. At least I got #4 in a half hour though.

#1 wasn't even hard, you just like apply the quadratic formula basically. I am sad now  :'(.

Maths tests tend to be very simple once you make one significant insight at the beginning, and basically impossible otherwise.  What sucks about these is that if you start down the wrong path, you're generally never going to solve the problem.  But, hey, they're supposed to be tough. 

Have you taken the Putnam?

heron

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 02, 2015, 12:38:41 pm »
+1

I am a junior in high school / 17 years old, so I have one more year to take the olympiad, but I will never get to go to the olympiad training camp or be on the IMO team.

Maths tests tend to be very simple once you make one significant insight at the beginning, and basically impossible otherwise.  What sucks about these is that if you start down the wrong path, you're generally never going to solve the problem.  But, hey, they're supposed to be tough. 

Have you taken the Putnam?

The most annoying thing is that this wasn't really my problem on the first day. On #1, I fumbled around with mods for a little bit without going anywhere, but I figured out to use a substitution and the quadratic formula in under an hour I think. The issue was, I need to figure out when the radicand would be a perfect square, which was tricky because the radicand was a cubic polynomial. The issue was that for some reason, I thought that it didn't factor until the very end of the test, when I noticed that it had a perfect square factor, which of course made the problem much easier.

Also no, I haven't taken the Putnam, although I do use it as practice sometimes. I'll take it when I'm in college I guess.

For the curious, here are the problems: http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/community/c70921_2015_usamo

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 02, 2015, 01:06:57 pm »

When I took my written qualifying exams, I plowed through Day 1 and missed only a minor amount of points (say, 2-5 of 60 or so).  On day 2, there was this conformal mapping problem (complex variables stuff), and I just did everything wrong on it because I forgot something basic (which I don't remember now).  The result was me spending almost all the time doing Problem 1 correctly, because what I was trying to do involved waaaaaay too much computation, so that I didn't have sufficient time to think about the other problems.  I ended up with like 50-60% for that day :(  I was actually lucky to have passed.

The Putnam exam is famous for having those "if you see it" type of problems.  The median score is 0 (out of 120 or so).

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 16, 2015, 05:05:53 pm »
+5

I graduated from college today with my BSME!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:48 pm »
+1

Did you hop with joy?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #442 on: May 17, 2015, 01:45:14 am »

I graduated from college today with my BSME!
Congrats!  8)

...what the heck am I waiting for?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2015, 05:51:50 pm »

So, in Pirates of Penzance, in the last song, even though it's not in the script, I have to sing down to an Eb2 and up to an F5...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

belugawhale

• Moneylender
  • Something.
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 22, 2015, 12:23:32 pm »

You all might be angry at me for this, but I am in the closed beta.
removed by user

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: June 22, 2015, 10:24:59 pm »
+9

When I weighed myself on Friday, for the first time in about 40 years the first number I looked at was a "1".  I have now lost 90 pounds (41 Kg) from my lifetime high.

Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 23, 2015, 12:50:35 pm »
+1

When I weighed myself on Friday, for the first time in about 40 years the first number I looked at was a "1".  I have now lost 90 pounds (41 Kg) from my lifetime high.

That's awesome congrats!

I took the GRE yesterday and scored a 336!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 08, 2015, 11:03:58 pm »

I just finished clearing every level in Stretchmo (including Perilous Peak), with no help from the internet!

That game is fantastic and very difficult and anyone who likes puzzle games should give it a try.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 10, 2015, 12:01:24 am »
+6

I have been published in a peer-reviewed journal (first author as an undergrad)!
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 10, 2015, 01:33:57 am »
+1

I just finished clearing every level in Stretchmo (including Perilous Peak), with no help from the internet!

That game is fantastic and very difficult and anyone who likes puzzle games should give it a try.

I have that game. I haven't played it much though.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.