Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33  All

Author Topic: Brag Board  (Read 227559 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Brag Board
« Reply #300 on: December 06, 2014, 11:25:29 am »
+3

Any idea what you want to do next in your life?

I'm planning on studying English translation, because it would make me better at speaking both English and Finnish, I could study another language on the side which is generally very useful, translating things is super interesting, it would feel like I'm doing something useful if I'm making some books or movies or whatever available for a larger audience, I would get to spend time with the works I'm translating, and it's also a profession that would give me a lot of freedom with any potential band projects that I might have. And just in case I happen to change my mind later, having studied languages is never a waste.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 07, 2014, 03:57:39 pm »
+6

I got 100% on my behind-the-wheel drive test!
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 08, 2014, 03:28:44 am »

I'm planning on studying English translation, because it would make me better at speaking both English and Finnish, I could study another language on the side which is generally very useful, translating things is super interesting, it would feel like I'm doing something useful if I'm making some books or movies or whatever available for a larger audience, I would get to spend time with the works I'm translating, and it's also a profession that would give me a lot of freedom with any potential band projects that I might have. And just in case I happen to change my mind later, having studied languages is never a waste.

I don't know if there's much difference between the swedish and finnish translation market, but in Sweden, if you're a translator, you'll mainly translate instruction booklets and stuff like that.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 08, 2014, 04:51:30 am »
+1

I don't know if there's much difference between the swedish and finnish translation market, but in Sweden, if you're a translator, you'll mainly translate instruction booklets and stuff like that.

Just as well too, else the rest of us would feel even more lost when we get home from Ikea.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #304 on: December 08, 2014, 02:38:37 pm »
+1

I'm not entirely sure myself, but I think it also depends on the language. In any case, translating instruction booklets would still be pretty cool, I just hope that I don't have to become an interpreter.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 16, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
+9

I graduated university!

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 16, 2014, 10:29:15 am »

God, you're a young one too?

Congratulations, man.  That is outstanding, and it is good to see your name again.  Gonna stick around?
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 16, 2014, 03:19:55 pm »
+1

I graduated university!

I just started! :( although I did start two years late.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 20, 2014, 01:26:25 pm »

Congratulations, man.  That is outstanding, and it is good to see your name again.  Gonna stick around?

Stick around here? I've been reading f.ds a little more than posting lately I guess

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 20, 2014, 02:11:41 pm »

Stick around here? I've been reading f.ds a little more than posting lately I guess

Yep.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 22, 2014, 08:39:02 pm »
+17

I placed first in the University of Maryland High School Mathematics Competition, which means that I get a full tuition scholarship to University of Maryland, as well as $500.

More importantly, however, my friend (who got second) and I have ended Montgomery Blair High School's total dominance of the competition. It has been 15 years since my school had anybody place in the top 3, and Blair has had a student in the top 3 every year (even this year). Anyway I am pretty excited about this.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 22, 2014, 08:48:48 pm »
+1

Woah - unrelated, but my school lost to Blair at the national science bowl finals. I've just started math competitions recently too, but I'm nowhere near that level, congrats. I'm just hoping for top 100 at the michigan competition.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 22, 2014, 09:47:21 pm »

Woah - unrelated, but my school lost to Blair at the national science bowl finals. I've just started math competitions recently too, but I'm nowhere near that level, congrats. I'm just hoping for top 100 at the michigan competition.
I don't think my school does math competitions (or, at least, I haven't heard anything about it), but they sound interesting. What exactly do you do in them?

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 22, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »
+2

I don't think my school does math competitions (or, at least, I haven't heard anything about it), but they sound interesting. What exactly do you do in them?

There is some variety, but most of the time you just sit and take a math test for a while, except the problems are way more fun than the math tests you take at school. Sometimes they are written tests and sometimes they are multiple choice or short answer. Usually the problems are based on "classical math" like algebra, geometry, combinatorics, or number theory and are designed so that all you need is cleverness to solve them, rather than knowledge of advanced calculus. Extra knowledge can never hurt though. A few competitions are a little more exciting and are live or have team rounds or other exciting things.

If you are interested in trying them, I would suggest that you ask if your school offers the AMC 12, or see if it is offered at a local university. Also you should look into the Idaho ARML (American Regions Math League) team and see if you can join it, because ARML is a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of people who like math competitions.

You can find a lot of information and problems from past competitions at http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/.

Most of the problems posted in the maths thread could be competition problems or are competition problems.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 22, 2014, 11:36:33 pm »
+1

There is some variety, but most of the time you just sit and take a math test for a while, except the problems are way more fun than the math tests you take at school. Sometimes they are written tests and sometimes they are multiple choice or short answer. Usually the problems are based on "classical math" like algebra, geometry, combinatorics, or number theory and are designed so that all you need is cleverness to solve them, rather than knowledge of advanced calculus. Extra knowledge can never hurt though. A few competitions are a little more exciting and are live or have team rounds or other exciting things.

If you are interested in trying them, I would suggest that you ask if your school offers the AMC 12, or see if it is offered at a local university. Also you should look into the Idaho ARML (American Regions Math League) team and see if you can join it, because ARML is a lot of fun and you get to meet a lot of people who like math competitions.

You can find a lot of information and problems from past competitions at http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/.

Most of the problems posted in the maths thread could be competition problems or are competition problems.
I watched a couple of the AMC videos and they're a bit over my head, but still pretty cool. I'll talk to my math teacher about the competitions when I get back to school and do a bit more digging to see if I'm math-y enough to do it. Thanks for the help!

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 23, 2014, 05:00:11 am »
+1

If you like mathematics then I would encourage you to give the competitions a go.  From my own experience I suspect that you will get more out of them if you know a group of people with similar interests or have somebody who can teach you some of the standard tricks for solving the problems.

But if you think mathematics research might be your future and find you aren't great at the competitions, don't let it worry you, as the skills they require are different—research is about making progress on things that people have never considered before, rather than finding a clever solution planted by the setter.  I was never very good at later rounds of the competitions, but am now a professional mathematician, and lots of the people I know who came up through the Olympiad system have now found themselves a proper job instead!

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 23, 2014, 09:02:44 am »
+7

lol nerds
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 24, 2014, 07:41:18 am »

Just found the treasure in the Armchair Treasure hunt!
5th team so far, quite impressed. Can relax till after Christmas now.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 25, 2014, 02:53:34 pm »
+1

Check out this frickin' awesome present I just got:

Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 25, 2014, 04:44:49 pm »

I'd be impressed if I knew what it was...

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 25, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »
+7

It is a studio monitoring headphone. It comes with high passive noise attenuation and a 2 year warranty. From Germany.

Now is the time to be impressed.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 05:00:24 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #321 on: December 25, 2014, 04:59:45 pm »

Semi-professional headphones.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 25, 2014, 05:52:58 pm »
+5

You got a young woman for Christmas?  That's what I wished for!

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 25, 2014, 06:39:19 pm »
+1

Yeah yeah, course you did Wither.... We all know it was a Lego Space Rocket with realistic flashing lights and laser sounds.

Also, am now slightly impressed by the ear phones..... Of course As much as someone who still uses the standard apple earphones that comes with an iPod can be .

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 25, 2014, 07:30:43 pm »
+3

You got a young woman for Christmas?  That's what I wished for!

Yes. You found out my secret identity. I am actually a pair of headphones.

@Ozle: What happened was I asked the salesperson at an audio gear store what he thought were the best studio headphones that didn't cost like a thousand dollars. Then I passed the exact brand name and stuff on to Santa my parents. I really can't wait to use them when I get back to my apartment... something tells me I won't be able to leave my computer.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33  All

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.