Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33  All

Author Topic: Brag Board  (Read 227484 times)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Brag Board
« Reply #200 on: July 15, 2014, 03:29:02 pm »

I just opened a Roth IRA account.  I can retire in 40 years now!

Awesome!  Roth IRAs are a ridiculous lifehack, and if you can afford one you should keep contributing the max each year.

I hope you put it into an index fund?

My account says it is a mutual fund Roth IRA, which I assume is different than an index fund, but I really don't know very much at all about these things.  The guy on the other end just asked on a scale of 1-6 how much risk I was willing to take, and I told him 6.  I can always downgrade the risk in later years as life circumstances change.  And I plan on contributing the max every year.

The very rough idea is that most fund managers will try and guess which stocks will outperform and invest in those.  An index fund will buy stocks in proportions corresponding to the index you want to track (something like the FTSE 100, or the Dow Jones Industrial Average).  Since most managers do no better than random guessing, but incur extra charges whenever they make a trade, index funds are generally reckoned to be a much cheaper route to equal returns.  Definitely do some reading: it could make a world of difference over 40 years.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 15, 2014, 03:45:16 pm »

I just opened a Roth IRA account.  I can retire in 40 years now!

Awesome!  Roth IRAs are a ridiculous lifehack, and if you can afford one you should keep contributing the max each year.

I hope you put it into an index fund?

My account says it is a mutual fund Roth IRA, which I assume is different than an index fund, but I really don't know very much at all about these things.  The guy on the other end just asked on a scale of 1-6 how much risk I was willing to take, and I told him 6.  I can always downgrade the risk in later years as life circumstances change.  And I plan on contributing the max every year.

The very rough idea is that most fund managers will try and guess which stocks will outperform and invest in those.  An index fund will buy stocks in proportions corresponding to the index you want to track (something like the FTSE 100, or the Dow Jones Industrial Average).  Since most managers do no better than random guessing, but incur extra charges whenever they make a trade, index funds are generally reckoned to be a much cheaper route to equal returns.  Definitely do some reading: it could make a world of difference over 40 years.

I am not paying anyone for the account.  My bank will manage it for me at no additional cost. 

That being said, I will definitely do some more research into it, and will be able to adjust how the funds are allocated within the IRA fund over time.  The important part that I got from my conversation is that you can only add so much money per year, so even if the funds are not performing at maximum potential, it is still very important to at least get it started because you can't catch up later.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 16, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
+7

My writing sample got accepted with a real place and I'm officially a freelance writer! 

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 17, 2014, 10:44:14 am »

Should I buy the sets on goko do you reckon?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 17, 2014, 01:31:06 pm »

If you plan on playing a lot, yeah. It's not as bad as you think. I mean, there's lots of problems, but I always seem to be able to play when I want and games go pretty smoothly.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 17, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »

If you plan on playing a lot, yeah. It's not as bad as you think. I mean, there's lots of problems, but I always seem to be able to play when I want and games go pretty smoothly.

Sometimes you get to play against some really pleasant people, too!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 17, 2014, 05:28:35 pm »

no, I've played quite a few games on goko, and I can almost always get a game with someone who has cards.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #207 on: July 18, 2014, 02:16:07 am »

Yeah. I have just two expansions, and usually I get to play with all of the expansions. I still think that buying them was worth it for those situations where I'm playing against someone with no cards, it's significantly more interesting than just base and only somewhat less interesting than all cards.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:45 am »
+1

This weekend we played two Swedish National Championships of a game called The Spoils. It's a TCG similar to Magic The Gathering, so the two championships were Limited (where you build a deck from a pool of random cards, then top 8 drafts for the playoffs) and Constructed. While I failed miserably at Constructed during the quarter finals, I managed to win the Limited Championship. Even though there were only 15 players, I feel like bragging about it a bit. ;)

This year we only had Constructed Nationals, but I won that one!

raerae

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: raerae
  • Respect: +85
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 21, 2014, 06:42:56 pm »

I reckon you should buy them then brag about it...on the brag board...it's for bragging.  (all of them is the answer to your question though)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2014, 06:46:11 pm »
+15

Employed!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 22, 2014, 03:25:06 pm »
+2

I'm bragging about this even though I didn't have anything directly to do with the component production. I'm a bragging fiend!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gtgames/sentinel-tactics-the-flame-of-freedom/posts/918532

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 22, 2014, 06:25:41 pm »
+2

Bragging about having a game in the Humble Bundle? Why not! https://www.humblebundle.com/ (Nosgoth)
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 22, 2014, 06:31:25 pm »
+1

Bragging about having a game in the Humble Bundle? Why not! https://www.humblebundle.com/ (Nosgoth)

I hate humblebraggarts.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:34 pm »
+4

Employed!

8 respect for a 1 word post!

Nah just kidding. I was curious how much respect I could get without giving any details. I've now got a full time job starting in September, working as a TA (Teaching Assistant), mostly with Maths/Physics, in a respected school. Which I'm pretty happy about.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2014, 07:02:35 pm »
+1

Employed!

8 respect for a 1 word post!

Nah just kidding. I was curious how much respect I could get without giving any details. I've now got a full time job starting in September, working as a TA (Teaching Assistant), mostly with Maths/Physics, in a respected school. Which I'm pretty happy about.

- insert obligatory TwistedArcher joke -

Congratulations!

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 11, 2014, 12:57:25 pm »
+11

A friend gave me a Wishing Well as a birthday card today.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 14, 2014, 12:48:45 am »

Ok. Short tale of Team Fortress 2 Revenge here.
Spy is probably my all-time favorite class, and I was having a ton of fun playing Sawmill--even making it to the top of my team.
Then two enemies started talking about how spies can't carry a team and how we were noobs (true, I see too many spies on teams a lot, but our team only had 2 at that time, including myself).

Anyway, I got the perfect chance as the two enemy team members who had been chatting were right next to each other (this is later, so they weren't AFK or anything--they were actually on their way to try and spawncamp) and I managed to backstab both the soldier and the heavy.  ;D

Here's a screenshot from the game. IDK, it just makes me happy because I'm not the best at a lot of different games, but I feel pretty confident with TF2.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:56:36 am by Ichimaru Gin »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 14, 2014, 01:15:10 am »
+2

I did some stuff that consequently led to other stuff happening.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 14, 2014, 02:22:05 pm »
+3

I did some stuff that consequently led to other stuff happening.
None of my actions have consequences.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #220 on: August 14, 2014, 02:37:50 pm »
+1

Ok. Short tale of Team Fortress 2 Revenge here.
Spy is probably my all-time favorite class, and I was having a ton of fun playing Sawmill--even making it to the top of my team.
Then two enemies started talking about how spies can't carry a team and how we were noobs (true, I see too many spies on teams a lot, but our team only had 2 at that time, including myself).

Anyway, I got the perfect chance as the two enemy team members who had been chatting were right next to each other (this is later, so they weren't AFK or anything--they were actually on their way to try and spawncamp) and I managed to backstab both the soldier and the heavy.  ;D

Here's a screenshot from the game. IDK, it just makes me happy because I'm not the best at a lot of different games, but I feel pretty confident with TF2.

Nice job :)

I used to play TF2 really seriously.  Played Engi on a Highlander team and Demo on a 6v6 team.  How I miss it ...

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 16, 2014, 07:46:55 am »

Our invitations turned up today. Not sure if more excited about the wedding or Special Edition Love Letter (which I just ordered and got 25% off in the not-at-gencon sale).

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 18, 2014, 02:36:13 pm »
+10

The game I recently designed, Apprentice, is a finalist in an international board game design contest!

Details about the game (sort of): http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11450.0 (rules aren't quite current here)

Details about the contest: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1174850/kbg-design-contest-2014-1600-prize-pool

Edit: More details about the game and a print and play: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=11668.new#new
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 06:09:14 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 27, 2014, 02:43:54 pm »
+2

I have just been cast in a local production of Jekyll & Hyde. I get to play a pompous surgeon and Hyde #2. That last part may sound strange, but this show is interesting in that the actor playing Jekyll never plays Hyde. Four of the other actors each play a different personality of Hyde. Hyde #2 is not the super-scary brutal Hyde, but I look forward to wearing this mask.

My first show since my year-long hiatus and my first nonmusical in about 4 years. I believe that And Then There Were None was my last dramatic performance.
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 27, 2014, 03:20:34 pm »
+1

I have just been cast in a local production of Jekyll & Hyde. I get to play a pompous surgeon and Hyde #2. That last part may sound strange, but this show is interesting in that the actor playing Jekyll never plays Hyde. Four of the other actors each play a different personality of Hyde. Hyde #2 is not the super-scary brutal Hyde, but I look forward to wearing this mask.

My first show since my year-long hiatus and my first nonmusical in about 4 years. I believe that And Then There Were None was my last dramatic performance.

I'm auditioning for Music Man soon!  In a bit less than a month.  Maybe I'll say what part I get here.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 33  All

Page created in 1.343 seconds with 21 queries.