Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Countering the rebuild  (Read 2410 times)

100pctskillz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Countering the rebuild
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:19:22 am »

This is one of the best games I have ever played.

Important cards : IGG, Forge, Rebuild, Noble brigand.
Seeing the Forge on the board, I realise that a IGG rush might be useless. Also, vs rebuild IGG doesn't win either. However, when I see my opponent going for rebuild I realise he'll never hit 7 again to buy a forge so I combine IGG, some duchies, some money and a noble brigand to keep his gold low and let him focus pure on rebuild to win the game.  He gets stuck with an empty duchy pile , low money deck and trashes his estates for other estates. I buy the IGG's and last provinces and win.

All feedback welcome!

http://dominionlogs.goko.com//20130714/log.516ccd07e4b082c74d79e0d6.1373814883990.txt

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
Re: Countering the rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:40:36 am »
+2

I'm sorry I have to say this, but I think your opponent missplayed this a lot and Rebuild should normally win this.
When the Duchies were gone an he had 4 Estates in his deck, he should have stopped naming Province and named Estate instead. That way the game would have ended before you had a chance to catch up.
I really don't get why he switched to naming Duchy on turn 18/20, which made him trash his estates for nothing instead of piling out the Provinces.

DrFlux

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +68
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 01:19:39 pm »

This IS a very interesting board. Would a hybrid strategy with an IGG or two into say 2 or 3 rebuilds be good here? I feel like the IGG would help your economy and slow down your opponent from hitting 5 as often.

Another interesting question: without IGG here, do you even want to consider minion? There is a weird synergy/anti-synergy thing going on between rebuild and minion. And they are at the same price point. Also does rebuild beat minion all the time?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 01:59:19 pm »

I have a hard time believing Minion could compete with Rebuild on many boards. I also highly doubt it's ever worth buying an IGG in a Rebuild strategy; giving one Curse once is not comparable to non-terminal +~2.5VP.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:14:05 pm »

Also, Minion can help Rebuild because a smaller hand size means you are more likely to not have a green card in your hand which means you are more likely to hit the card you want to hit. For instance, you have a Duchy in your hand and want to turn it into a Province.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:15 pm »

Also, Minion can help Rebuild because a smaller hand size means you are more likely to not have a green card in your hand which means you are more likely to hit the card you want to hit. For instance, you have a Duchy in your hand and want to turn it into a Province.

I'm willing to take that risk.  Give me the extra card.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:33:38 pm »

I have a hard time believing Minion could compete with Rebuild on many boards. I also highly doubt it's ever worth buying an IGG in a Rebuild strategy; giving one Curse once is not comparable to non-terminal +~2.5VP.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8715.0

Me, I'll bank on the Minions from now on in a straight-up matchup.  With IGG in the mix, I don't know, though.  Watno is right that your opponent played Rebuild really poorly.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:16:18 am »

Well, you're 33% less likely to draw the card you want to Rebuild, but you're also 20% less likely to draw your Rebuild, and normally you would have something else to Rebuild instead. It would power up Horse Traders/Rebuild and ruin Scheme/Rebuild and Scavenger/Rebuild. I guess it depends on the speed at which the engine can be built, but the big problem with any engine vs Rebuild is that the Rebuild player is trashing VP from the supply while taking the lead.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

100pctskillz

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:47 am »

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8715.0

Me, I'll bank on the Minions from now on in a straight-up matchup.  With IGG in the mix, I don't know, though.  Watno is right that your opponent played Rebuild really poorly.

Reading my gamelog again, I agree he played it poorly. He should indeed have turned provinces into provinces and I would have stood no chance...
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.