Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Playing with people on this forum IRL  (Read 4128 times)

thirtyseven

• Duke
  • Respect: +475
    • View Profile
Playing with people on this forum IRL
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:16:27 pm »
+1

I haven't posted much lately, but just wanted to mention that this post (and the following post) in the Christianity thread caused two strangers to meet up IRL to play a game of Dominion! It was fun meeting and playing with him, although our paths probably won't cross again except on Goko (we're probably almost 1500 miles away from each other... it just so happened he was coming out my way). Any similar stories of meeting up with an online Dominion player to play IRL (that you didn't know previously)?
I'm only a mid-level player, so I may be wrong...

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Playing with people on this forum IRL
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:30:07 pm »
+1

Last years spontaneously flew from Seattle to Detroit for a weekend to play in one of the few Dominion National Qualifying tournaments.

I met a few people on here at the tournament, but particularly I met Robz and Sharkbait. Both of whom I avoided in the prelims and met in the semi finals and finals. Its funny how a short irl connection like that matters. I'll go out of my way to play with both if them online.

It doesn't hurt that both games were super interesting. Including the semi final match where Scout was a key card (I'll let you guess which of the two I played in that game...)

Ed

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 07:31:58 pm »

I have played a few people who used isotropic, but nobody from the forums yet.  Would love to, though.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:54 pm »

I've met and played Stef and Florrat during the preround of the Dutch national championship in Utrecht. The 4th and only non-f.ds participant had been playing for just a few weeks, so even though he played surprisingly decent, he found himself a bit outclassed.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:52:00 pm »

I've met lespeutere and some over German Dominion players at the Spiel fair in Essen last year, during the German championship, which was nice.

Are any of the Germans (or Belgians or Dutch) planning to go to Essen this year? Would be cool to meet more people.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 09:31:39 pm »

I met someone from the forums at the Finnish champs this year, but I didn't hear his nickname.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 10:50:37 pm »

I'm too lazy to dredge it up, but there's a nice long post about Robz and me meeting up last summer.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:25 pm »
+3

I played a game with Celestial Chameleon a few months back. He didn't empty the supply on turn 4, so I was pretty disappointed.

Also I've played games with Joseph2302 a couple of times. It helps that we were housemates for two years I guess.

Although I do suppose neither of these are exactly what you were looking for :P...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:18:59 am »

No but I think it would be a lot of fun. I just wish I were better at Dominion :P anyone near/going to be near Pennsylvania? Also, I will be studying abroad this fall in France, and hopefully travelling around Europe too.

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:51:26 am »

No but I think it would be a lot of fun. I just wish I were better at Dominion :P anyone near/going to be near Pennsylvania? Also, I will be studying abroad this fall in France, and hopefully travelling around Europe too.

Where in PA? It's a pretty big state. I visit western PA very occasionally.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:56:25 am »

I go to school in western PA, and live in central PA.  I go to school at Grove City College, which is about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh

thirtyseven

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 08:50:12 am »
+1

I go to school in western PA, and live in central PA.  I go to school at Grove City College, which is about 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh

Hah, no way. Out of all the schools in PA. I'm a GCC alumnus ('11) and I guess I'll see you at homecoming for my round two of random Dominion meetups!

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 10:26:28 am »

I was in Miami for two months this year, running away from our lovely winter here in Finland. I thought "now that I'm here, should definitely meet some people from the forums" and flew to hang out with Robz for a bit. It was definitely very fun, I would highly recommend battleship-style iso (well, goko these nowadays) for anyone. It's fun, and a great way to improve (talking about the game is much easier in person than in goko's chat box), especially if your opponent is close to your skill level.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:41 am »
+1

Hah, no way. Out of all the schools in PA. I'm a GCC alumnus ('11) and I guess I'll see you at homecoming for my round two of random Dominion meetups!
Seriously? That's awesome! What did you study? I'm unfortunately not going to be around for homecoming... I'll be in France. But I did try to start an unofficial dominion club last semester... I got 2 people I didn't know to come...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »

Young Nick and I go (went) to the same school for undergrad, so we've played a few games together. Sadly, I've graduated.

I've also played against ednever at nationals and Fabian and loppo at worlds. Turambar's brother was in the tournament and I played many games against Turambar and his friends after the tournament.

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:16 pm »
+1

Don't forget manzi at worlds, although the communication was somewhat limited there.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 01:24:27 pm »

One-Armed-Man lives near me and has a standing invitation to my game group, but he's been busy with his own school games stuff.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 02:45:16 pm »
+1

I have played IRL Dominion with Eevee, ednever, sharkbait, Young Nick, werothegreat, AxeKnight, and of course, my brother, mcmcsalot. All very fine folks!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.