Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Who's Who and Goko  (Read 3756 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Who's Who and Goko
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:09:47 am »
+2

I think the Who's Who list should now also include players who have reached the top of the Goko leaderboard and a 7k club.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Who's Who and Goko
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 10:22:43 am »
+5

I made it to 7k a long time ago, can I be in the club.  Please?  I'll bring cookies and Advisor memes.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:29:47 pm »

I think the Who's Who list should now also include players who have reached the top of the Goko leaderboard and a 7k club.

having some way of accessing archived goko leaderboards would help with this effort.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 01:28:59 am »
+5

having some way of accessing archived goko leaderboards would help with this effort.

I had a database table with a month of Goko leaderboard scrapes, but I lost it in the server transition. I could retrieve it with some effort, but I don't think I'm going to. Goko's rating system is so horrible that a hall of fame built around it would be morally wrong, IMO.

I'd much rather see something built around ratings derived from the actual game results. These results are available in my database. I'm happy to host anything that anyone cares to write and contribute to my github project.

Mike McCallister and ftl are also continuing to make progress on getting councilroom back online with Goko logs, so we'll have the CR achievements again eventually too.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 01:56:25 pm »
+3

It might be worth acknowledging people who have made it to #1, but a 7k club seems silly. Iso level 50 was a big deal since initially it was the max level. A new player would have their level be 25+/-25, meaning there is only a 5% chance of your skill being over 50, and level 50 meant there was only a 5% chance of your skill being below 50. This has a nice symmetry. Plus no one hit it for a really long time, and it's nice round number. 7k is not nearly as meaningful. It would have to be like 10k, or at least maybe 8k -- if you think "average" players are 4k (the first round number higher than the bots), then 8k is at least "double" that. But we don't really know enough about the rating system to say anything about that.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 06:15:05 pm »

It might be worth acknowledging people who have made it to #1, but a 7k club seems silly. Iso level 50 was a big deal since initially it was the max level. A new player would have their level be 25+/-25, meaning there is only a 5% chance of your skill being over 50, and level 50 meant there was only a 5% chance of your skill being below 50. This has a nice symmetry. Plus no one hit it for a really long time, and it's nice round number. 7k is not nearly as meaningful. It would have to be like 10k, or at least maybe 8k -- if you think "average" players are 4k (the first round number higher than the bots), then 8k is at least "double" that. But we don't really know enough about the rating system to say anything about that.

The top achievable levels are decided by how many players are actively playing, probably. If less people continue to play over time hitting 8k would be impossible.

The highest ratings aren't fixed but are moving based on the points in the system. I think there's nothing wrong with this.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 04:16:42 pm »

Then what about the Isotropish leaderboard?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 12:20:09 pm »
+2

Then what about the Isotropish leaderboard?

I agree that the Who's Who page should have some recognition of the goko games and should be updated.  I think Isotropish is the fairest way to do that.

We can at least add the GokoDom tournaments and more people to the "level 50 club" (I am pretty sure SCSN was there and some other people possibly) (although a distinction between Isotropic and Goko should be made)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.