Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Author Topic: Dominion: Pandemonium - Expansion WIP Thread  (Read 47532 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
Re: NoMoreFun's Expansion WIP Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2014, 11:40:54 pm »
+1

I'm finding "Package" very difficult to get right. In it's current wording you can gain a province with it just for playing a single highway, bridge or the trinket "chain" (with which you could actually open Province). However since the cards have to be differently named, you have to gain a province, a curse and a copper. That doesn't seem too overpowered. I might make chain only reduce the cost of non-victory cards. Wordings like "gain 3 cards with a total cost of up to $2 more than this card" always seemed a bit wonky.

Package
Single - $5
When you would gain this, instead, gain 3 differently named cards with a total cost of up to $7, putting them on top of your deck.

That should nerf the Victory card gain while buffing Action and Treasure gains.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for taking the name Vendor. At least, I'm assuming you changed its name to package due to the card Vendor in my set. If not, I apologize for presuming this was the reason.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:57:17 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 12:15:11 am »
+1

I'm finding "Package" very difficult to get right. In it's current wording you can gain a province with it just for playing a single highway, bridge or the trinket "chain" (with which you could actually open Province). However since the cards have to be differently named, you have to gain a province, a curse and a copper. That doesn't seem too overpowered. I might make chain only reduce the cost of non-victory cards. Wordings like "gain 3 cards with a total cost of up to $2 more than this card" always seemed a bit wonky.

Package
Single - $5
When you would gain this, instead, gain 3 differently named cards with a total cost of up to $7, putting them on top of your deck.

EDIT: Oh, and sorry for taking the name Vendor. At least, I'm assuming you changed its name to package due to the card Vendor in my set. If not, I apologize for presuming this was the reason.

No need to be sorry, as even though it was the reason, I like the name "Package" better and Vendor seems way more appropriate for a card like yours. I'd probably keep the name Vendor if I really was attached to it.

Also thanks for the feedback. "Differently named" means that the most popular options will be a ($4, $3, Copper), or ($5, $2 copper) with a decent $2. It could be too powerful with cards like Throne Room, but on the other hand it will give pause to people doing "Duchy, Estate, Copper" late game. I may very well do this, or say "no victory cards or singles"

EDIT: Gone with the latter option, as I needed to specify "no singles" anyway, and this solves the province and duchy problems decisively. I may still have a problem with "Conquest", as playing a conquest after a Highway is fairly easy, and I don't think there are that many combos of a Cantrip $5 and a terminal $5 that work quite that well. May go with the "no victory cards or singles" clause there as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:20:15 am by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 12:23:03 am »
+1

Package
Single - $5

Also thanks for the feedback. "Differently named" means that the most popular options will be a ($4, $3, Copper), or ($5, $2 copper) with a decent $2. It could be too powerful with cards like Throne Room, but on the other hand it will give pause to people doing "Duchy, Estate, Copper" late game. I may very well do this, or say "no victory cards or singles"

I doubt it'll be too crazy even with Throne Room, but I could be wrong. I'm probably thinking about it more in terms of a normal gainer as opposed to a Single. See, I was thinking about this concept recently (card than gains cards costing up to a total amount). I realized that topdecking the cards could be key for penalizing big Victory point gains. But I don't think I came up with "differently named". I think putting the two together might make this effect doable, either as a Single or as a regular Action card. Mind if I try the Action version myself?

By the way, I think I really like Labyrinth. I hope it works out in testing. I'll go through the whole set in detail when I get the chance.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:32:10 am by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
+1

Package
Single - $5

I doubt it'll be too crazy even with Throne Room, but I could be wrong. I'm probably thinking about it more in terms of a normal gainer as opposed to a Single. See, I was thinking about this concept recently (card than gains cards costing up to a total amount). I realized that topdecking the cards could be key for penalizing big Victory point gains. But I don't think I came up with "differently named". I think putting the two together might make this effect doable, either as a Single or as a regular Action card. Mind if I try the Action version myself?

By the way, I think I really like Labyrinth. I hope it works out in testing. I'll go through the whole set in detail when I get the chance.

All the ideas are yours.
I was quite happy when I came up with Labyrinth as I've had the "do these in any order" idea for quite some time. I wanted more Draw to X cards, then when I looked at a Draw to X Dungeon I realised it was a good candidate for that old idea. I thought of all 6 scenarios in a normal hand and they all seem fairly fine. It's probably one of the best $4s but in line with cards like Steward, and it can be dangerous later on.

EDIT: Changed the wording in case any of my ideas aren't actually my ideas. Conquest was originally a Gold gainer but I realised the "combined total: made it more interesting and worked well with the Scavenger/Hermit effect. I think I first saw the combined total thing in a fan card called "Thanksgiving". In all honesty my card was heavily inspired by your original idea for Clerk/Dignitary (Gain a Silver, then topdeck a card from your discard pile). I'd like to think we're all working together in the fan card community.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 12:32:54 am by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2014, 12:32:18 am »
+1

One more comment:

Repair
Action/Reaction - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that shares a type costing up to $5 more, putting it on top of your deck.
---
When you would gain a card, you may instead reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a cheaper card that isn’t a Single.

Repair's reaction effect allows you to gain nothing when you would gain a card. Say you're gaining an Estate from an opponent's Ambassador, for instance. You can reveal a Repair and choose to gain a Curse. Then you can reveal Repair again and gain nothing. I assume this is intended. If not, ignore the following suggestion.

I think it's cute that revealing the card twice allows you to pull off this trick, but I also think it's inelegant. Inelegant trumps cute in my book. I suggest changing the effect to "When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, you may gain a cheaper card that isn’t a Single." That way it only takes one reveal to gain nothing.

Either way, you should remove that first "instead" from the reaction effect.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2014, 12:37:34 am »

Repair's reaction effect allows you to gain nothing when you would gain a card. Say you're gaining an Estate from an opponent's Ambassador, for instance. You can reveal a Repair and choose to gain a Curse. Then you can reveal Repair again and gain nothing. I assume this is intended. If not, ignore the following suggestion.

That's the intention and thanks for picking up the mistake. Your wording doesn't in itself suggest that when you reveal it once you can choose to gain nothing (denying the you may seems to like you would gain the card you were going to gain anyway). If I were implementing the card in isotropic or goko I'd have it so you only need to reveal once, which also stops stupid things that accomplish nothing like infinite loops with Trader (eventually you'll have to settle on a Silver, something cheaper or nothing).

EDIT: It would work if I kept the first instead. Ie "When you would gain a card, you may instead reveal this from your hand. If you do, you may gain a cheaper card that isn’t a Single." It's isn't too obvious what "cheaper" refers to though. I'll go with cute for now.

EDIT 2: When it comes to online, there'd be a few other things I'd do. After picking the card for rear admiral, I'd give you "top deck" and "bottom deck" options for simplicity. I'm yet to see how Stash works in a Goko game. For Bargain I'd probably just show the cards in the supply, and have a symbol on cards that you can also gain from the trash. The mats are fairly similar to existing mats. Recruiter cards would appear with a red outline in or near your hand in normal circumstances.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 01:05:22 am by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2014, 12:41:31 am »
+1

That's the intention and thanks for picking up the mistake. Your wording doesn't in itself suggest that when you reveal it once you can choose to gain nothing (denying the you may seems to like you would gain the card you were going to gain anyway). If I were implementing the card in isotropic or goko I'd have it so you only need to reveal once, which also stops stupid things that accomplish nothing like infinite loops with Trader (eventually you'll have to settle on a Silver, something cheaper or nothing).

Yeah, looking at my wording again, I think you're right. Although by strict Dominion rules, I think it works the way I want, it's not intuitive at all. Perhaps specifying explicitly that you can gain nothing? Well, whatever. Your wording is fine, really. Maybe it would be cool to have a Reaction card that can be revealed multiple times in a meaningful way.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2014, 12:49:10 am »

Yeah, looking at my wording again, I think you're right. Although by strict Dominion rules, I think it works the way I want, it's not intuitive at all. Perhaps specifying explicitly that you can gain nothing? Well, whatever. Your wording is fine, really. Maybe it would be cool to have a Reaction card that can be revealed multiple times in a meaningful way.

I love things like drawing a Beggar with Secret Chamber, discarding it to gain 2 Silvers, trashing one of them with Watchtower, then discarding a Market Square to gain a Gold, then top decking the Gold with Watchtower. This reaction, as discussed in other threads, allows you to do something like that to empty a pile with the right cards on the board, but it requires specific cards
(Squire, Watchtower, Repair and any attack), which is rarer than the Masquerade pin for a very benign effect (unless you also have Goons, Cache and Trader, and even then that doesn't do anything mean like lock someone out of the game).

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2014, 03:01:04 am »

Whittler is now $5, and is a "you may" since while it can be good situationally it's often worse than Throne Room or even Necropolis.

I'm worried about +Buy. The set has a lot of gainers (Prospector, Philanthropist, Opportunist, Conqueror, Pariah) and remodels (Bargain, Repair, Cargo, Whittler), and "Package" is like virtual +buys, but there's only 2 among the 24 non "single" cards and one among the single cards. None of the other cards are well suited to +buys except Town Crier, which I would rather keep as a fairly simple terminal gold (a terminal triggering a wash effect is a slight penalty).

I'm also wondering if there's a strong enough theme. There's a lot of interactivity, with only Amigos, Tavern, Labyrinth, Serf, Cargo, Package, Recruiter and Whittler having no interactivity. I could add even more (eg a when gain event, or change serf's VP clause) but 27 cards out of 35 are interactive, and the events emphasise that idea as well. Is that enough of a theme?

I do want this to be a worthwhile expansion and not just a bunch of cards.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

Sigil
Treasure/Victory/Trinket - $0*
Worth $1, +$2 for each empty supply pile

Wait, why is this a Victory card? Sorry if this was asked before.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »

I think Donald X. aimed for 2-3 +buy cards in big expansions.  (I don't know where I originally saw that number but somewhere he had listed off how many of each type he aims for in his sets and I have copied those numbers and been using them for myself.)  The gainers should make up for being on the low end of +buy.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 01:17:41 pm »

Sigil
Treasure/Victory/Trinket - $0*
Worth $1, +$2 for each empty supply pile

Wait, why is this a Victory card? Sorry if this was asked before.

Because it's a typo :p

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 05, 2014, 06:43:39 am »

Updates:

• Serf has been replaced with Plantation, a Lab instead of a Peddler. It also has an interactive VP condition so it isn't too strong for $4 (0VP is inelegant).
  • Repair only lets you gain a card costing up to $3 more. $5 more wouldn't be broken but I'd prefer the card to fit in with the other Remodel variants. It still has the thematic Ruined Village/Village interaction.
  • Labyrinth has a when gain Event. I wanted more cards to deal with events. Labyrinth's when gain is a Nerf as it may be too good for $4, or easily one of the best $4 cards. I want there to be a card that triggers Events semi regularly, and I think adding something to Tavern may do that. 
  • Speaking of Events, I have decided to give Town Crier a +buy, which means that it can compare reasonably favourably to other cards whatever event gets drawn. For example, +$3, +1 card, each other player draws a card only compares well with council room with a +buy. +$3, +buy, everyone gets Torturer'd is a definite improvement on Horse Traders, or the deliberately chosen option of Count. I was short a +buy in the set anyway.
  • I haven't changed Oppressor, but I'm not sure it's gelling as a card. Patrol makes a "when gain Militia" workable. Escape Artist is a way of making the "+2 cards, discard for actions" card work. Oppressor's goal is to speed you up while slowing other players down, and there's a bit of symmetry with the bottom decking, but it's hard to make it elegant.
  • Speaking of symmetry, that's almost definitely the theme of this expansion, given how many cards have symmetrical things happen. With all the symmetrical things it's up to you to get the advantage. Scribe is this in its purest form, and Pariah is the thematic curser. Trinkets appear to contradict this, but it's a way of emphasing making things happen to everyone that benefit you more than others because of your style.
  • I want to give Conflict negative VP (-1VP for every attack in your deck) and/or a Curse type so it can be a Hot Potato. It's very problematic in games with Familiar, so I might specify "Attack costing up to $5".
  • Archer now costs $6, since it's a very good attack early game and even without the Attack may be on the strong end of $5.
  • Revolutionary now gives you $1, and every player can pick cards from your hand.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 06:52:25 am by NoMoreFun »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Pandemonium - Expansion WIP Thread
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 07:13:19 am »

I was worried Pariah was a little weak (if everyone takes the gain it's worse than sea hag, a $4 card), so I added an "anywhere in your deck" to both the card you gain and the curse others gain. This means there's 2 anywhere in your deck cards, and I like to have 3 of each mechanic. I was considering making one of Tavern's cards "anywhere in your deck", but as a village, it will probably take too long to resolve.

Labyrinth has lost the when gain event, as it's probably fine compared to other early game trashers like Steward and Remake, given its risk late game. Instead Rear Admiral, which skirts the 4/5 boundary (it's a better Courtyard, primarily because in engines you have much more control with a little attack thrown in) has it. The name is a relic of when it was bottom decking and its "Ghost Ship" attack; should it be changed?

Retreat is no longer a Duration because in the 2nd turn it's out it still awkwardly adds cards to the mat, which are stuck there until the next time you play a Retreat. I think it's also fine at $5.

Fool can no longer block Provinces since it can create a game state where nobody wants to be the one to unblock the fool pile, and the game will slowly march towards a 3 pile end in kingdoms without +buy.

Seriously desperate for any kind of feedback.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 11:49:15 am »
+2

Seriously desperate for any kind of feedback.

I'm going to try to critique the set today, but I might not be able to finish depending on my work.

I think the set is daunting to critique because there's just so much stuff here. Thanks to the Singles, Events, and Trinkets, there are some 52 unique cards in the set. Yeowch! Also, since the Single and Event mechanics are fairly exotic, it's tough to give feedback without playtesting them first. A lot of guesswork.

Probably the best thing you can do to boost feedback is to mock up all the cards and put them in the OP. I can't speak for everyone, but I know that I'm guilty of thinking a card is more interesting when it looks like a real card. I wish it weren't the case, but I think it is.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »
+1

Bargain
Reaction - $2
When you would gain a card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it from the supply or the trash, putting it into your hand.

(Note: The gaining from the trash is there so if someone uses a junker on you, you can reveal the bargain, trash it, gain it back, and put it in your hand. The Name comes from a somewhat similar pure reaction card developed by GeoLib which was the inspiration for this card – I think it’s different enough but I couldn't think of a more suitable name for this card)

I don't generally like this kind of Reaction that gains a card costing more than the one you would have gained. It's cool when you're being junked, but it's really kludgy when you're trying to use it as a pseudo-Treasure. This Bargain gets a pass because you trash it, limiting the number of times you'd use it for wonky buys. That being said, I think I'd prefer it to have an Action effect (or something) rather than as a pure Reaction. A pure Reaction card would be neat to see, but I'm not sure this is that card.

There's a fine line between a cool, subtle effect and a wonky one. Where that line is varies from person to person. For me, the thing where you can react to gaining a Curse by trashing a Bargain and then gain that same Bargain back is a bit wonky. I'd at least try a version that can't gain from the trash.

EDIT: Let me be more clear here. Wonky combos are fine if they come up once in a while. If they come up a lot—e.g. every time there's a junker on the board—and they're part of the card's business-as-usual functionality, I think that's suboptimal.

Prospector
Action - $2
Gain a Treasure costing up to $6, putting it in your hand. Each other player gains a copy of that Treasure, putting it on top of his deck.

I think I'd prefer to see a more expensive version of this that didn't topdeck the other players' gained cards. This version might be fine, though. Also, I really think this should be an Attack card. It definitely has the potential to sometimes hurt (like Jester), and there are no rules issues with it being an Attack (unlike Masquerade).

OK, that's the non-Single, $2 cards. It's a start. I'll critique the Singles individually after the normal Kingdom cards. However, I strongly urge you to not make the Singles take up Kingdom card slots. With even one or two on the board, it really cuts into your purchasing options, at least once the Singles that can actually be gained are gone from the Supply. I'd much rather see a rule like that for Colonies and Shelters where you include one—or maybe two—Singles in the game in addition to the 10 Kingdom cards.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:08:39 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 03:03:53 pm »
+1

Amigos
Action/Duration - $3
+$1
At the start of your next turn, +1 Action
---
When you discard this from play, draw an extra card at the end of your clean up phase.

Ah, the pseudo 3-turn Duration. I think it might need +$2 instead of +$1 to be worth going for, but I guess playtesting will tell.

Opportunist
Reaction - $3
When any player gains a Treasure card, you may reveal and discard this. If you do, resolve an Event from the Event deck.
---
When you reveal this, gain a card costing up to $3.

"When any player gains a Treasure card" isn't a great trigger. It's not a momentous event like when another player gains a Province (à la Fool's Gold). I think it's nice to encourage other players to gain Actions instead of Treasure, but of course this triggers on your Treasure gains too, encouraging you to go for Treasure so that this Reaction won't be dead. The fact that the gained card costs up to $3 means that you'll often be gaining Silver with it, further pushing you toward a money deck. Not necessarily a big deal, but worth thinking about.

Scribe
Action - $3
+$2
Place the top card of the event deck face down on your Scribe Mat
---
At the start of your turn, you may reveal and resolve an Event from your Scribe Mat.

I haven't looked at the Events in quite a while, but I assume they still mostly hit all players equally. That being the case, I might cost this at $2 instead of $3. It's a more interesting/powerful Duchess!

Tavern
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+2 Cards
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
---
When you gain a Province, discard all Taverns from play. If you discarded any, resolve the top Event of the Event deck.

I think the top is probably not overpowered, but beware non-terminal cards that return cards to the top of your deck. The first card I ever playtested was such a card and it was awful. The main issue is that you play one, draw 2 cards, put one back on top, then play another, draw that card you put back plus another one, etc. It gets tedious fast. It also has the potential for quite a lot of AP; much more so than if you were simply discarding cards.

As for the bottom part, is there a reason the Taverns get discarded? Again I don't remember the Events, but it's probably not so bad if an Event resolves per Province gained.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:00 pm »
+1

Barge
Action - $4
Now and at the start of your next turn; +2 buys, draw until you have 5 cards in hand
Put your deck in your discard pile
---
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

+1 Buy is probably sufficient. Also, is there a reason for the "put your deck into your discard pile" clause here? It's not 100% clear whether you do that both turns, although I'm guessing you only do it the turn you play it. Seems like you could leave it out.

Beauty
Action/Attack - $4
+2 Actions
Each player (including you) discards any number of cards from his hand until he can reveal a hand of only Actions, Reactions and Treasures.
Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.
---
When you reveal this, +1 card.

I think the "when you reveal this" mechanic is a bit wonky. Donald tried it on Fortress and decided to just do when-trashed instead.

I'm not sure about the wording on the top half. I think the other player probably has to reveal his hand first and then discard cards one at a time until the condition is met. Even so, it might be a tough sell. I used to have this card:

Convocation
Types: Action
Cost: $5
+1 Action. Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard revealed cards one at a time until no two of them share a type. Put the rest into your hand.

Most playtesters that saw this for the first time said, "So…what does this do?" I had to change it so that it just draws you an Action, a Treasure, and a Victory card from the revealed 3 cards. What I'm trying to say is that you may want to just have each player reveal his hand and discard all the Victory and Curse cards in it.

Labyrinth
Action - $4
Do all three of the following in any order:
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand
Discard a card
Trash down to 3 cards in hand

As I said before, I'm a fan of this one. Three basic elements, but they interact in interesting ways and you can pick the order depending on the situation.

Oppressor
Action/Attack - $4
+1 Action
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any number on the bottom and discard the rest. 
Each other player reveals the bottom card of his deck and gains a Cell from the Cell pile if it’s any other card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.

The top is probably going to generate some AP for advanced players. Say you have a few (or zero) cards left in your deck. Putting up to 5 cards in a certain order based on what you have in your hand may take quite a while. Probably it'll usually be fewer cards. If it's too long, you could always change it to 4 cards, like most other non-terminal Scout cards.

Philanthropist
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one of the following for everyone to Gain. You put the gained card in the location in brackets;
A Copper (in hand), A Silver (on top of your deck), A Gold (on the bottom of your deck)

Like Prospector, this should be an Attack. I would say that the set doesn't need both Prospector and Philanthropist. I like Prospector better.

Plantation
Action/Victory - $4
Worth 1VP if you have the fewest Plantations of any player.
---
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a victory card. Put it in your hand and discard the rest.

Are you supposed to get the 1 VP on a tie? If not, it should say, "if you have fewer plantations than any other player." Seems like a fine card in general, although it might be better with just a flat 1 VP.

Rear Admiral
Action/Attack - $4
+3 Cards
Each player with 5 or more cards in hand puts a card from his hand anywhere in his deck.
---
When you gain this, resolve the top event from the event deck.

Seems OK, although the "anywhere in deck" might create a bit too much AP. Maybe not. I had a card like that once, but I've since scrapped it. I didn't scrap it because of AP, though, so perhaps it's not an issue.

Repair
Action/Reaction - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that shares a type costing up to $3 more, putting it on top of your deck.
---
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a cheaper card that isn’t a Single.

I think I've talked about this one already. I like it better at "$3 more" than "$5 more", so I'm glad you made that change. The Reaction is fine. I've come around on it. I don't like the infinite loop it makes with Trader, but it's no worse than revealing Trader repeatedly, I guess. Yeah, overall I think I like the card.

Revolutionary
Action/Attack - $4
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal your hand. Each player may choose any number of cards from it. Discard the chosen cards.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Seems harsh. Playtesting will tell if it's workable, but I wouldn't be surprised if most players got pretty sick of discarding their good cards. Like, the card looks weak. Whether or not it is weak, people may not buy it for that reason.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:35:27 pm by LastFootnote »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 05:57:19 pm »

As for the bottom part, is there a reason the Taverns get discarded? Again I don't remember the Events, but it's probably not so bad if an Event resolves per Province gained.

I gave it that wording so that it's not an event per Tavern per Province.

+1 Buy is probably sufficient [for Barge]. Also, is there a reason for the "put your deck into your discard pile" clause here? It's not 100% clear whether you do that both turns, although I'm guessing you only do it the turn you play it. Seems like you could leave it out.

It's a nerf - a Duration that always misses the reshuffle.

I haven't looked at the Events in quite a while, but I assume they still mostly hit all players equally. That being the case, I might cost this at $2 instead of $3. It's a more interesting/powerful Duchess!

I think that in general, a "wash" effect after a Terminal is worse than the Terminal on its own, due to the opportunity cost of playing a Terminal. This makes Duchess "worse" than a Terminal Silver. I'm not really comfortable with a Terminal Silver or something strictly better at $2. The events hit everyone equally, but you are in control of when they occur, if at all. So for example, one of the events is drawing a card - if it comes down to the last turn and you really need that Province before the other player gets it, it can come in handy. One of the events is a Torturer effect - if you've got 2 dead cards in hand late game it's a good time to pull it off. I think it's a pretty good $3, but playtesting will tell.

I think I'd prefer to see a more expensive version of [Prospector] that didn't topdeck the other players' gained cards. This version might be fine, though. Also, I really think this should be an Attack card. It definitely has the potential to sometimes hurt (like Jester), and there are no rules issues with it being an Attack (unlike Masquerade).

There are no issues with playing out the rules but I don't like the interactions with Moat and Lighthouse. I like how top decking makes the Copper hit harder, but the other options worse. I think the non topdeck version will have to be a $5 as a terminal gold with a "wash" effect that doesn't seem to benefit other players all that much more than you, and it's kind of more boring that way.

[Rear Admiral] Seems OK, although the "anywhere in deck" might create a bit too much AP. Maybe not. I had a card like that once, but I've since scrapped it. I didn't scrap it because of AP, though, so perhaps it's not an issue.

I think it will be fairly straightforward after your first game or two with it. If I was implementing this in isotropic I'd have "top deck", "bottom deck" or "pick the number of cards ahead of it in your deck".

I'm not sure about the wording on the top half [of Beauty]. I think the other player probably has to reveal his hand first and then discard cards one at a time until the condition is met. Even so, it might be a tough sell. I used to have this card

It's a sort of draw to X Cellar for you, and I wanted the effect to be mirrored. If the hand was revealed I'd have a "that is neither Action nor Treasure", but don't want the 2 "when reveal" pure reactions to nombo. I like it this way, and I can imagine it having the thematic feel of going around the corner and adjusting your clothes when you see a "beauty".

Thank you so much for all the feedback so far.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 06:06:04 pm by NoMoreFun »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 06:02:42 pm »
+1

There are no issues with playing out the rules but I don't like the interactions with Moat and Lighthouse. I like how top decking makes the Copper hit harder, but the other options worse. I think the non topdeck version will have to be a $5 as a terminal gold with a "wash" effect that doesn't seem to benefit other players all that much more than you, and it's kind of more boring that way.

The topdecking makes it so if enough of these are played, a player may be stuck with a hand of 5 Coppers every single turn. Of course, you'd need to be trashing the Coppers you gain in order to not have your deck choke.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 06:09:35 pm »

The topdecking makes it so if enough of these are played, a player may be stuck with a hand of 5 Coppers every single turn. Of course, you'd need to be trashing the Coppers you gain in order to not have your deck choke.

I think the self junking makes it ok for the same reason as Bureaucreat. At any rate a hand of 5 coppers isn't all that bad, albeit boring (for the same reason as that awful Midas card I came up with), but it's about as difficult as 5 Bureaucrats to get going and they can buy Duchies every turn, so with enough of a lead they have a better chance of winning the slouch towards the finish.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »

This Bargain gets a pass because you trash it, limiting the number of times you'd use it for wonky buys. That being said, I think I'd prefer it to have an Action effect (or something) rather than as a pure Reaction. A pure Reaction card would be neat to see, but I'm not sure this is that card.

There's a fine line between a cool, subtle effect and a wonky one. Where that line is varies from person to person. For me, the thing where you can react to gaining a Curse by trashing a Bargain and then gain that same Bargain back is a bit wonky. I'd at least try a version that can't gain from the trash.

My only concern is that you'll run out the pile with a junker on board, although it means that instead of the curse pile emptying, the Bargain pile empties instead (in 2 player; the pile would disappear in a flash in a 4 player game with junkers unless there's a good $2 that you'd rather have than another bargain).

I could give it a "top" effect, especially one that puts good cards in the trash, but in order for the card to function it has to cost either $1 or $2. At $2 being a oneshot silver is already quite good.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 10:03:45 pm »
+1

I'd lie if i said i have the energy to do more than just some quick remarks, so please don't take it badly if i say something stupid.

Ambush
Single - $2
When you would gain this, instead put it anywhere inside a supply pile, and take the Ambush token.
---
When this card appears on top of a Supply pile, the current player trashes a card costing at least $3 that he has in play. The player with the ambush token pays it to gain a card from the trash, putting it on top of his deck. Return this to the Supply

Um... "Return this to the supply" means that it will still be on top of a supply pile, doesn't it? Apart from that i don't really get what this is about, and it feels as if putting it anywhere in a supply makes it more complicated than necessary. Probably i want this to block a pile from being bought, but why wouldn't i just put a token on the pile, then? It's not like putting it somewhere in the pile would surprise anyone (you can look through it) - if anything, it makes the card more political ("I put it third so Barbara can buy a Lighthouse, but Steven can't, Harr Harr!"). Not the one i like most.

Fool
Action/Single - $2
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
Put this card on top of any non-empty supply pile of cards costing $6 or less.

Hm, Fool still has the blocking mechanism but has become a usefool card itself. I like how you can use it to force opponents into buying a card they don't want without making it seem unfair (as the card is not that bad itself). As a second card with a pile-blocking mechanic, i find this much simpler and clean than Ambush.

Bargain
Reaction - $2
When you would gain a card, you may trash this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a card costing up to $2 more than it from the supply or the trash, putting it into your hand.

Hmm... It took me some time to get that the gain from the trash means you can gain itself after trashing it, so it basically moats junking attacks. The other use is to make it a one-shot Silver, which i think is not that much better than +2 cards from Moat itself. My feeling is this is worse than or about as "strong" as Moat (defending not every kind of attack). I see that you can chain them on reaction and gain a Province instead of a Curse with four of them in hand (or a Gold/Duchy with three), but as they really are one-shots if you did that and dead Moats until that i'm pretty sure such a strategy wouldn't really work...
Edit: It's funny how LastFootnote seems to have the opposite opinion about this card's power, but i'm too tired to think about it now... Good night...

Prospector
Action - $2
Gain a Treasure costing up to $6, putting it in your hand. Each other player gains a copy of that Treasure, putting it on top of his deck.

Why are your 2$s so weak? Compare this to Beggar: It also costs 2$ and gives +3$, but Beggar not only has a downside you can use to your advantage (greening, Gardens) but also is a reaction. Comparing the bonus you get to the bonus for your opponents, this card takes up a spot in your hand and gives +3$ (max) - while, during their second-next turn, your opponents will have exactly the same situation, just without spending a buy or an action on it. In the endgame this might make the difference, but almost certainly not enough to make a strategy of it.

Conflict
Reaction/Single - $3
When another player plays an Attack card, you may reveal this. If you do, that player gains this card.
---
When you reveal or buy this, gain an Attack card costing up to $5.

Well, of course this is irrelevant if there are no attacks. Given this is a single that doesn't really matter though, i guess. I'm not sure i like the "reveal" part here - it might be intended to be a defense aganst Saboteur, Knights (which can trash the only Conflict for good) and some others, but it still works nicely to be spammed with Hunting Party or Managerie. Hmm... All those Minions... I think if there are cards supporting the spamming, the fact that there's only one of them will make the game really frustrating and unfair.

Fete
Single - $3
When you would gain this, instead, look at the top 2 cards of the Fete deck, put one on the bottom of your deck, and put the other back on the bottom of the Fete deck. Put a card costing $6 or less from any supply pile on top of the Fete deck.
---
Setup: Make a Fete deck out of one copy of every Kingdom supply pile in the current game.

You must get the impression i hate all your singles :(
Here i don't like the first player advantage. The first player to buy one can hope to gain a nice card (whatever nice kingdom cards there are) and put a Curse on top, effectively halving the chances of a good bargain for every player following.

Amigos
Action/Duration - $3
+$1
At the start of your next turn, +1 Action
---
When you discard this from play, draw  an extra card at the end of your clean up phase.

I still like this idea, and i still think that giving the +1 action on the turn it is played not only boosts it by a tiny bit (as you can chain them) but also fits the  fact that usually durations are useless the turn they are played. Also i'd try to cost this at 2$.

Opportunist
Reaction - $3
When any player gains a Treasure card, you may reveal and discard this. If you do, resolve an Event from the Event deck.
---
When you reveal this, gain a card costing up to $3. 

The second reaction isn't as easy to spam as Conflict, and not worse than Tunnel. I see it can work as a defense, and interestingly to discard attacks as well as to attacks that steal from you. It's weird that the Opportunist revealed by another players Spy can trigger another Oppurtunist if it gains a Silver, with your Opportunist in hand reacting to that other Oppurtunist gaining a Silver, too... In general, i think "gain a Treasure" isn't a big enough pause in the game to have a reaction for, especially as it can grow pretty complicated with the events involved.
Sorry i'm so negative all the time here :(

Scribe
Action - $3
+$2
Place the top card of the event deck face down on your Scribe Mat
---
At the start of your turn, you may reveal and resolve an Event from your Scribe Mat.

I must admit i'm not a huge fan of the events when reading them on the screen, but i don't know how they'd play. Thinking about it, it's probably crazy, but fun. I wouldn't mind having such a mechanic on that new Promo...
Anyhow, i'm not sure the benefit of the card is good enough, especially as you don't know what event you'll cause, yourself. If you did add that (or it was intended that way all along), i think the card would work nicely. Otherwise, i'd rather have Chancellor.

Tavern
Action - $3
+2 Actions
+2 Cards
Put a card from your hand on top of your deck. Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your deck.
---
When you gain a Province, discard all Taverns from play. If you discarded any, resolve the top Event of the Event deck.

It's +Cards first, isn't it? I still don't get why you would want to trigger events - they can harm you and help you both. I'm not even sure whether the last part is a penalty or a benefit. As this is probably a bit strong as a Village variant, i assume it was intended as a penalty. At least i know i'd hate to let every player draw a card at the end of my buy phase (where i can't use it)...

Tower
Single - $4
When you would gain this, instead, move a tower token to any supply pile.
---
Setup: Place a tower token on each of the Estate, Duchy and Province supply piles. Cards are worth an extra 1VP for every tower token on its supply pile.

Hmm... I can imagine situations where the game (especially a 2-player game) would reach a stalemate where nobody wants to end the game, as that would make the other player's card of choice worth points, and instead the Tower token gets shoved back and forth... Also it's a bit swingy if you are lucky enough to put it on "your" card the last turn. It somehow makes the game less strategical and more luck depandant for that reason, i think.

Barge
Action - $4
Now and at the start of your next turn; +2 buys, draw until you have 5 cards in hand
Put your deck in your discard pile
---
While this is in play, when you gain a card, you may trash a card from your hand.

More simple, that's nice. I like how the "in play" and the on play synergize. I'm not sure about the (forced) Chancellor and whether it keeps the card from being too weak, though. Like the idea, though.

Beauty
Action/Attack - $4
+2 Actions
Each player (including you) discards any number of cards from his hand until he can reveal a hand of only Actions, Reactions and Treasures.
Draw until you have 4 cards in hand.
---
When you reveal this, +1 card.

I don't know about the "reaction". It only matters for Tunnel and some of your own, doesn't it? Truth be told, it feels a bit specific. Also it very obviously defends against itself, and while i'm not sure i like that in general, it's nice that there's no first-player advantage here. Like Conflict, this is crazy with Hunting Party or Menagerie...

Labyrinth
Action - $4
Do all three of the following in any order:
Draw until you have 5 cards in hand
Discard a card
Trash down to 3 cards in hand

Interesting. I thought about a card where you can order choices too, but it didn't work. I like yours better. Also like the name. Nice.

Oppressor
Action/Attack - $4
+1 Action
Look at the top 5 cards of your deck. Put any number on the bottom and discard the rest. 
Each other player reveals the bottom card of his deck and gains a Cell from the Cell pile if it’s any other card, putting it on the bottom of his deck.

It's a bit like a fixed Scout, isn't it? A bit complex with the Cells, the bottom-decking, the ordering of cards down there... Not that bad.

Philanthropist
Action - $4
+1 Card
+1 Action
Choose one of the following for everyone to Gain. You put the gained card in the location in brackets;
A Copper (in hand), A Silver (on top of your deck), A Gold (on the bottom of your deck)

Of course the Copper gain qualifies as an attack, and yes, i know, the others don't. If i'm not mistaken i allready proposed a way to solve this (without attack type): "Choose one: Gain a Copper in hand; Gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck; Gain a Gold, putting it on the bottom of your deck; Each other player may reveal a Reaction card from his hand. If he doesn't, he gains a copy of the card you gained."
Obviously that's not a beautiful wording, but still i'd prefer it to a junker that's not an attack. Apart from that the card is fine, though not overly strong.

Plantation
Action/Victory - $4
Worth 1VP if you have the fewest Plantations of any player.
---
+1 Card
+1 Action
Reveal cards from the top of your deck until you reveal a victory card. Put it in your hand and discard the rest.

This is... interesting. I'm not sure how it plays, but it's definitely something new. I do remember playtesting a Victory card that wanted you to not gain too many of them, but this is different.
Also combos with Scout ;)
  

Rear Admiral
Action/Attack - $4
+3 Cards
Each player with 5 or more cards in hand puts a card from his hand anywhere in his deck.
---
When you gain this, resolve the top event from the event deck.

I see. The event is used as a way to keep this from being "strictly better" than Smithy (which isn't that far stretched thinking about how many of them are worse when resolved at the end of your buy phase). The attack might be beneficial to other players sometimes, but a single card doesn't really help setting up something enough to make giving a good one out of hand worthwile, usually. Then again this can only hit each player once a turn, and there is a restriction... I'm not really sure, but it might be okay for 4$.

Repair
Action/Reaction - $4
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card that shares a type costing up to $3 more, putting it on top of your deck.
---
When you would gain a card, you may reveal this from your hand. If you do, instead, gain a cheaper card that isn’t a Single.

Yay, a terminal Rebuild. On second look, i like how it is worse when used for victory cards and how it is worse than Mine or Taxman for Treasures. But then again, it is more flexible and also defends against junkers. Two of these can even work as a Remodel. I feel the reaction is a bit too much, the card is pretty good for 4$ even without that.

Revolutionary
Action/Attack - $4
+1 Action
+$1
Reveal your hand. Each player may choose any number of cards from it. Discard the chosen cards.
Draw until you have 6 cards in hand.

Interesting. Reminds me a bit of Advisor, only that this is either worse or better, or probably both. Don't know if i'd like playing with it, but i'd definitely try it out.

Enchanter
Single - $5
When you would gain this, instead, move the hex token to any Action supply pile.
---
When a player discards a copy of the card with the hex token from play, if that player has no actions remaining, each other player gains a Curse. Place the Hex token on the Enchanter supply pile at the start of the game and when it’s on an empty pile.

"Starting my third turn, i play Smithy. Now i play six Coppers, buying Enchanter and placing the hex token on Copper. Six Curses for each of you guys."
Even if you forbid Treasures, this is still mostly a swingier, stranger, stronger Ill-Gotten Gains. Swingy because you might have a terminal in hand to play after all those Hamlets you had (so you can give out a Curse per Hamlet). Strange because the player buying it may put the token on a card that the player after him will play, too - just without spending 5$. Stronger because you don't have to gain that awful "half-Silver" IGG is.

Patrol
Single - $5
When you would gain this, instead, gain a cheaper card, and each other player reveals the top card of his deck, gaining a Cell from the Cell pile if it’s any other card. Each player puts any cards gained this way on top of his deck. 

Fine. Like Border Village is overpaying to 6$ to gain an additional Village, this is overpaying to 5$ to have an attack. Why not, it's simple and i like it.

Package
Single - $5
When you would gain this, instead, gain 3 differently named cards that are neither Singles nor Victory Cards with a total cost of up to $7.

Like the name. Not sure whether it's good enough most of the time - probably if you want to load up on cheap cards like Lighthouse, Fishing Village, Menagerie etc... Still feel that "differently named" is very restrictive, especially as you can't gain more than two 3$s, anyhow. Unless of course you have cost reduction, in which case this is absolutely able to go crazy...

Pioneer
Single - $5
Gain 2 cheaper Action cards, placing them on the Pioneer mat.
---
During your turn you may play a card from the Pioneer mat instead of from your hand. If you do, trash it.

Not the worst single. I'm not really a fan, but i see it has some appeal. Heck, it's easy in a way, so i guess i like it after all.

Rival Markets
Action/Duration/Single - $5*
+$2
+2 Actions
+2 Cards
+2 Buys
At the start of your next turn, return this to its own pile.
---
While this card is in play, it is also in the Supply, and costs $4.

He he, i see what you did there. I like the idea of a card players can buy from other players, but i'm afraid this will likely just be passed around in turn order. Hmm... Is there any way to avoid me gaining my own Rival Market with Workshop? It would be nasty if a player could make sure it's his forever.

Cargo
Treasure - $5
Worth $1
When you play this, trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

Fine. Maybe the trashing could be optional.

Conqueror
Action - $5
Gain 2 Cards with a total cost of up to $7.
Each player (including you) looks through his discard pile and either trashes a card from it or puts a card from it on top of his deck.

I get it. This can be "gain a Gold, each other player may [...]". A bit more flexible, but i think it's okay. what i don't like is that it allows gaining Provinces with cost reduction, of course, and the name fits much more for an attack, i think. That aside i guess it's okay.

Escape Artist
Action - $5
+2 Cards
Each player may reveal a Cell from his hand. If he doesn’t, he gains a Cell from the Cell pile, putting it in his hand.
You may play a Cell from your hand.

Not strictly better than Lab, but very close. Unless you have absolutely no junk in hand (or don't have another action you want to play, which isn't that unlikely), it is. Guess i'd have to playtest it to know for sure, though.

Pariah
Action - $5
Gain a card costing up to $6, putting it anywhere in your deck. Each other player may gain a Curse, putting it anywhere in his deck. If he did, he also gains a copy of the card you gained.

I don't know. Putting a Gold on top of my deck is great, and even if an opponent may gain the same card (for gaining a Curse and putting it in his deck, too), that doesn't really seem like a relevant penalty most of the time (Watchtower aside). Then again it's probably fine from the power level. Funny how this is worse when you gain a Duchy - your opponent may be able to trash the Curse he draws later, while still gaining a Duchy and putting the same number of bad cards in his deck as you. Probably fine as far as i can see.

Retreat
Action - $5
+1 Buy
Trash a card form your hand. Place a number of cards equal to its cost in coins from the top to your deck face down on the Retreat mat.
---
While this is in play, when you gain a card, set it aside on the Retreat mat. You may look at the cards on the retreat mat at any time. Put all cards on the Retreat mat in your hand at the start of your turn.

Not sure it needs the "while in play". That aside it's fine, though a bit similar to Pioneer.

Town Crier
Action - $5
+$3
+1 Buy
Resolve the top Event from the Event deck

Fine.

Whittler:
Action - $5
You may do this up to three times:
Reveal an action card from your hand. Play it, then trash it. Gain a card costing less than the trashed card, putting it in your hand.

Not sure about the power level. At first glance, the cost decreases, and so this should be worse than King's Court. But then again you might be able to combine cards that synergize (Smithy/Village from the top of my head) and can play good cards you draw for the first two. Then again you have to trash the cards you play, so i assume it's okay at 5$.

Archer
Action/Attack - $6
Each player reveals cards from his deck until revealing one costing $3 or more. He either discards it or puts it back (you choose), then discards the other revealed cards.
+3 Cards

Fine. Not sure about the power, but probably it's stronger than it seems.

Baroness
Victory/Single - $0*
Worth 2VP for each Estate left in the supply.
---
This card costs $1 for each Estate left in the supply.

Like the name. It's interesting, i like it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:05:42 am by Asper »

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 03:39:24 am »
+1

You are supposed to know what cards are on your Scribe mat. I have edited the OP.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll respond or adapt more adequately when I get time.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 04:11:46 pm »

Bargain's most important feature is the gain to hand. It's a "combo" card. Being a oneshot silver is the least interesting way to use it. It might be worth making it "exactly $2" to nerf it a little, but I think gaining the card to hand then immediately having to discard it nails the point about how the card could be used.

I believe that Ambush is covered by the same rule as Knights (you can see how many knights are left, but not what order they're in). It's basically an Embargo but I wanted there to be some uncertainty, and self Ambushing can be a strategy (it's basically a Scheme).

I changed Fete so that you no longer add cards to the Deck. That means it will get depleted, but that's ok. There's a bit of FTA with that card but trinkets are a nice counterbalance to FTA.

Conflict was designed to break some card design rules. It's a reaction that hurts attackers (but I think it's ok because it gets passed around and if you buy it you're vulnerable to it). It's a "dead" card that you buy to get a discount on a good card. It's a companion card to Fool and Rival Markets; Rival Markets is a card that gets passed around because it's wanted, Conflict gets passed around because it's unwanted, and Fool is a strange mix of both.

You're meant to be able to gain your own Rival Markets back with Workshop, or buy it back. You need to evaluate how badly you want the card.

With Beauty you can still discard Tunnels if they want to. The idea (which I think is thematic) is that it's up to you to prepare your hand and show it off, but there's some cards like Curses that just won't be tolerated. I wanted to make an attack/village and this attack is both very weak (but can hurt when used in tandem with junkers, or in games with a lot of discard for benefit) and unstackable.

I love the idea of Repair's reaction so if it isn't on Repair (which is now looking like a decent card all on its own, especially since Rebuild was officially declared overpowered), it will go onto another card.

If amigos was +$2 you'd compare it to other terminal silvers. Is both Caravan and Fishing Village in the same card about equivalent in power to a +buy? I want it to be Terminal on play, then a village next turn, as that's actually the concept of the card - the triple duration thing is just a way to make it interesting. The goal is to have several of these cards working together in phase. It might be ok at $2; the $3 cost is thematic.

Barge is looking weak. I might make it draw to 6, but then it's comparing well to Wharf. The compulsory chancellor (duration that misses its own reshuffle as a nerf) is a mechanic I want to explore and isn't going anywhere.

I didn't notice the "IGG" aspect of Enchanter. Perhaps I'll adjust the wording to make the check at the start of the buy phase. You can still do interesting tricks with gainers.

Pariah's gain is now normal, but the curse is still anywhere in (their) deck. Might make it a top deck for simplicity. I don't want the card to seem weak when it's done symmetrically, but a Sea Hag that genuinely slows the other player down seems strong enough to make the decision tricky.

I think I'm ok with the Highway/Conqueror combo for now, but it's worth a playtest. You can think of non attack interactions as cards you play with cantrip effects, and a cantrip trasher (that doesn't even hurt your hand)/scavenger is very, very good. Any better suggestions for the name? It's just a pun on "Divide and Conquer", and in some circumstances (eg your discard pile consists of a province) the effect is like an attack.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.