Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What cards do you appreciate the existence of?  (Read 18241 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: What cards do you appreciate the existence of?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2013, 10:24:13 am »
+2

Also, it's sometimes just faster to skip the scrying pool and build an engine without it.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2013, 11:10:15 am »

Maybe simply Village and its brothers in arms.

The presence of at least one of them changes the possible strategies dramatically.

Amen to that!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2013, 11:16:22 am »
+8

Spy and Oracle will never make me loose bad cards, only good ones (except if my opponent doesn't know what i want). It's an informed decison there.
I agree that it wouldn't be as annoying if you ddin't loose the cards from your hand, but you actually do, so I fail to see why this is relevant.

Watno, I completely agree with you about Minion. The word you're looking for is "lose", though. Not "loose".

No, it's loose. The bad cards on your deck are tight, not loose, so they don't fall off when Spy and Oracle are played.  But good cards are really loose; they're just way too cool, they can't be held down by the man.  Fall right off the deck.  And Minion makes all the cards in your hand loose---you drop them right into your discard pile.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
+1

I always overestimate how powerful Squire is (or rather, how many you can buy without really weakening your deck), but I'm never annoyed at the card. I wish I could say that about every dominion card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 10:37:32 pm »

I always overestimate how powerful Squire is (or rather, how many you can buy without really weakening your deck), but I'm never annoyed at the card. I wish I could say that about every dominion card.
You want to overestimate every Dominion card? Is that even possible?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 01:36:19 am »
+2

You want to overestimate every Dominion card? Is that even possible?

Sure it is. He thinks that Dominion is totally awesome!!!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

PSGarak

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +160
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 01:51:18 am »
+5

I'm starting to have an appreciation for Crossroads. It's not particularly great, on the whole, but it's subtly game-warping. Having Victory Cards be not entirely dead weight changes balance around in a way that throws off your instincts. Maybe you shouldn't have Advisor give him an estate, that could be a free draw, or even two! Maybe Vagrant and Scout are doing something useful! Maybe Rabble isn't making my day so bad after all! It's all so different, none of these cards are behaving like they're supposed to, and it's awesome.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:18 am »

Scrying Pool, Possession, Fortress, Rats, Watchtower, King's Court.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2013, 10:13:12 am »

Scrying Pool, Possession, Fortress, Rats, Watchtower, King's Court.
you... you... :( that is a BAD kingdom. Though, there isn't a good way to get enough money to buy KC and Possession...

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2013, 08:24:19 pm »
+1

Though a recent addition to the world of Dominion, I appreciate the existence of Masterpiece. It's a go-to card for when you anticipate a slog and when you just want to power through your opponents' junkers, all without the weirdness of Trader.

Also, I gotta give the nod to Horse Traders. Even without the reaction, the card is pretty nice to have in a fair amount of situations. The reaction gives you a different way to defend against attacks, especially against the attacks that only take effect when you have 5 or more cards.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2013, 11:40:55 pm »
+1

King's Court.

Goodbye.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tombolo

• Tactician
  • Respect: +450
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2013, 10:56:26 pm »
+5

Baker, because it just opens up a world of new possibilities for the opening, and anything with coin tokens is generally pretty cool.

Pretty much anything with +Action or +Buy, because engines are fun!

Tunnel, Rats, Hoard, and Gardens, because they aren't often the best strategy on the board, but it's fun trying to make them work anyway.

Black Market and Knights because I actually kinda like the random, silly elements they add.

KC, Goons, Grand Market, Wharf, and Bridge because they each can make for really satisfying megaturns.

Marauder because Spoils and Ruins are both pretty fun.

Necropolis because dang, +Action in my starting deck!

City because it can really change the dynamic of the game AND can turn into a one-card engine if you activate it.

Peddler because it's a cool idea and satisfying if you can exploit it.

Colony because it means more time to play with my engine.

University because I love +Action and I love free engine pieces.

....I am going to list 90% of the cards if I don't stop myself!
We’ve had a hard day at work, we’ve been looking forward to our Dominion, how can you expect us to play anything else, you ogre.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2013, 11:45:53 pm »

You forgot Hermit as a megaturn enabler.  I built a megaturn deck with Bridge and it, and it worked well.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 04:56:59 am »
+4

Ruined Village, because it's hilarious.

Eggplantation

• Baron
  • Respect: +48
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2013, 10:24:21 am »
+1

I recently uncovered a whole heap of appreciation for the card 'Procession' while playing a game the other day. Fortress and mystic were in the kingdom, so it was great. Procession the fortress and get free engine pieces and mystics -  awesome. It is very satisfying to pull off a successful use of procession, however it is all the more special because it doesn't work well in every situation.

Compynerd255

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
    • Betafreak Games
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2013, 12:34:10 pm »

Hmm... this is interesting. It's times like this that I wish I played Dominion more often.

Throne Room and King's Court. There's something satisfying about playing cards twice and three times, but it's even more satisfying when you can chain them together for megaturns (more so Throne Room than King's Court, which quickly gets out of hand). I always dream of a game with only Throne Room, King's Court, and terminals.

Forager when there are more Treasures than the basic three. One of the funnest games of Dominion I played was a Forager game with Talisman and Spoils on the board.

I will also second Watchtower because not only is it's draw-to-6 valuable, but also because trashing or topdecking cards is just so dang powerful.

And one more: Witch. The presence of Curses totally makes the game extremely interesting.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2013, 08:13:46 pm »

omg herald! and candlestick maker! really all of guilds, but especially those two. oh and merchant guild, despite my earlier whining about it.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 10:29:39 am »
+5

Counting House -- I love this card. It's seldom viable, but when there are supporting cards on the board (e.g. Chapel, Chancellor, Worker's Village, Bank); win or lose, having this work is one of the most satisfying plays in all of Dominion.
How does Chapel synergise with Counting House? Chapel wants to get rid of Coppers, Counting House wants more of them.

You use Chapel to get rid of all those worthless Silver and Gold that you can't dig out of the discard pile.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 11:02:31 am »
+6

Border Village and Rats because a lot of their power and the best combos with them are simply due to their cost.

Border Village (once it's in your deck) is a $6 Village -- that can be remodeled into a Province! Once it's in your deck, it's better than Village because it costs $6. Even its below the line ability is great because it's overpriced. You can get a $5 card instead of a $2 card.

Rats is great with Apprentice, Salvager, Remodel, et al. because it costs $4.

It's just so cool that the cost itself matters when thinking about the strength of the card rather than the cost being purely a function of the card's power.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 02:15:12 pm by Polk5440 »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 12:12:22 pm »
+1

Counting House -- I love this card. It's seldom viable, but when there are supporting cards on the board (e.g. Chapel, Chancellor, Worker's Village, Bank); win or lose, having this work is one of the most satisfying plays in all of Dominion.
How does Chapel synergise with Counting House? Chapel wants to get rid of Coppers, Counting House wants more of them.

You use Chapel to get rid of all those worthless Silver and Gold that you can't dig out of the discard pile.

Oh man, I bought a Platinum once in a Counting House game. That was the biggest mistake of the whole game. It should have been a Copper. (OK it should have been a Province because it was late enough but ya know...)

Cards I appreciate:

Steward because it's my favorite card. ILY Steward <3

Embargo because it scratches that strategic itch I have.

Cards like Coppersmith, Stonemason (sorta Develop too) because they aren't always the best, but when they get their moment in the sun they just shine so brightly.

Jack of All Trades because yeah it's easy to play DoubleJack, but it's so much fun to incorporate it into an engine and mop the floor with DoubleJack. So many different ways to support this card.

Ambassador because it's so interactive. Jack and Amb games are the farthest from boring that I can think of (most of the time)

Soothsayer because THAT is what cursing games are supposed to feel like!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 12:43:17 pm »

watchtower - worth buying maybe half the time it shows up, but really neat in all kinds of ways.  does so many different things.

silk road - my favorite alt vp card.  rushes can be kind of boring, but i prefer it in engines where it increases the number of points on the board.  fun to plan around.

margrave - a great engine enabler.  attacks, draws, and gives buys.  Nothing too fancy, just a nice, compact, useful card.

governor - makes for interesting tactical games.

menagerie - planning for this is fun.  having it pay off is fun. 

Among the cards I might rather go without are Minion, IGG, Ghost Ship.  The first two because they're so often totally board dominating and rule out other strategies (Rebuild fits here too, but I guess I haven't played it enough to get tired of it).  Ghost Ship because it's just so painful to get hit with it every turn.  I hate it so much that I even hate doing it to my opponents but I can't stop myself because it's so strong (obviously board dependent, but it happens).  Probably the worst is when you've got a humming engine with just one GS and your opponent is just left in the dust. 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.