Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Farmland Balance Question  (Read 3466 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Farmland Balance Question
« on: July 08, 2013, 09:09:37 pm »
+1

On most of the remodel type cards the reasoning behind having the price jump be "exactly" and "up to" makes sense, but I can't for the life of me figure out why Farmland is "exactly" and not "up to". Is there some balance issue that I'm missing? The only thing I can think of is that it's somehow too powerful to do the trash-a-Province-gain-a-Province trick in a way that nets you two VP, but that honestly doesn't seem that much more powerful than doing it with Butcher.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Farmland Balance Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:45:04 pm »

I bet it's an artifact of when it used to be an on-gain effect instead of on-buy.

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 02:41:31 am »
+6

I bet it's an artifact of when it used to be an on-gain effect instead of on-buy.

I remember back when goko had it as on gain. Farmland/Fortress pile drive was pretty hilarious.

easwaran

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »
+2

I guess it means you can't trash a 4 or 5 cost card to get a duchy? At the end of the game, a farmland and a duchy is nearly as good as a province, especially when there are penultimate province considerations going on.

juffowup

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 12:10:19 am »
+1

I think power isn't necessarily the issue here; not every card needs to be exactly as powerful as possible.  With 'exactly', I think farmland still has the most important interactions (gold/farmland->province) but is a much more interesting card... what can I keep in hand to still end up with $6? 

I think there's also a flavor thing, that trash-for-up-to-this-much-more is only for cards very close to remodel, while the weirder versions have 'exactly'.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 20 queries.