Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Informed Majority  (Read 3347 times)

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
Informed Majority
« on: July 08, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

I was thinking about how to do a Mafia-like game in which the Mafia team is in majority, and I came up with this simple idea:

5 people, 2 Good "Townies", 3 Evil "Mafia". The Evil team knows who each other are, the Good team don't. The game takes place over up to 3 rounds. At the end of each round, each player secretly names another player, which are all then simultaneously revealed. If the two Good players named each other, they immediately win. If after 3 rounds this has not occurred, the Evil team wins.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this would be balanced or fun, but I'm happy to run it if people want to give it a go.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Re: Informed Majority
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:39:02 pm »

Sounds interesting, but I have no idea how I would play it.  ;D

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:02 pm »

Round 1:
A names B, B names A, C names D, D names C, E does whatever.
Round 2:
A names C, C names A, B names E, E names B, D does whatever.
Round 3:
A names D, D names A, C names E, E names C, B does whatever.

Good win if good team is: AB AC AD CD BE or CE

Evil win if Good team is: AD AE BC BD

So good has 60% of winning.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:46:14 pm »

Thats if its pure random, and enforced by players. Evil guys can reduce that chance, of course.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 07:47:55 pm »

What happens in the rounds themselves?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:53:16 pm »

What happens in the rounds themselves?

Discussions.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »

/in
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:17:53 pm »

I was thinking about how to do a Mafia-like game in which the Mafia team is in majority, and I came up with this simple idea:

5 people, 2 Good "Townies", 3 Evil "Mafia". The Evil team knows who each other are, the Good team don't. The game takes place over up to 3 rounds. At the end of each round, each player secretly names another player, which are all then simultaneously revealed. If the two Good players named each other, they immediately win. If after 3 rounds this has not occurred, the Evil team wins.

Thoughts? I have no idea if this would be balanced or fun, but I'm happy to run it if people want to give it a go.

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:

I actually think it is 75% chance of winning.

If I'm Good Player #1, I have 4 people to choose from in round 1.  So 25%.
Second round, I have 33% chance of choosing correctly.
Final round, I have a 50% chance.

But, basically, I get to choose 3 out of 4 players.  Unless I completely whiff, I win.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:36:15 pm »

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:

But, basically, I get to choose 3 out of 4 players.  Unless I completely whiff, I win.

That's assuming that the other good player chose you on the same round you chose him.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:46 pm »

Anyway, I like the idea that everyone is pretending to be one of the only good people, and knowing that most people are lying. Any ideas on good ways to do it?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »

Round 1:
Round 2:
Round 3:

That's assuming that the other good player chose you on the same round you chose him.

Oh, missed that part. 

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »

It actually sounds a whole lot like the 'Conspiracy' game I ran awhile ago, but I find this one more interesting. You just have to get the distrobutions right.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:07 pm »

Having just seen the Princess game that started up has got me thinking about ideas for this, here's something (might need refining).

Some number of players. Let's say 9 players for now. 6 form the informed majority (good guys), the other three the minority (bad guys). All of the good guys know each other, the bad guys know nothing. The basic idea is the bad guys are trying to find each other through discussion and an information source in game.

The game takes place in four rounds. Each round starts with a chance for talking (let's call it day for familiarity). After some deadline, the game moves to night. Except in the final round, each bad guy names two people (both different, not themselves). The good guys collectively talk (via QT or whatever) and for each bad guy, name a pair of people including at least one good guy.

After the night phase the next round starts and a score is revealed. This score is the number of bad guys named by the bad guys, i.e. collectively how many of each other they managed to name, so anything from 0-6, during that night. If the good guys guessed exactly the two people a bad guy would name, that bad guy is now 'neutralised' - I don't know who (if anyone) gets told this has happened at this point. People can then discuss e.g. reveal who they named, and any kind of analysis, scumhunting etc. can go on.

At the end of the fourth round things are a little different. The good guys are done. All bad guys who weren't neutralised name two more people, trying to guess their allies. If any of them names both of the other bad guys, the whole bad guy team wins. If none of them do, the good team wins.

That's the rough idea. Any thoughts on it? Likely broken strategies? Worth giving a test run after Princess is over?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 08:58:00 pm »

Having just seen the Princess game that started up has got me thinking about ideas for this, here's something (might need refining).

Some number of players. Let's say 9 players for now. 6 form the informed majority (good guys), the other three the minority (bad guys). All of the good guys know each other, the bad guys know nothing. The basic idea is the bad guys are trying to find each other through discussion and an information source in game.

The game takes place in four rounds. Each round starts with a chance for talking (let's call it day for familiarity). After some deadline, the game moves to night. Except in the final round, each bad guy names two people (both different, not themselves). The good guys collectively talk (via QT or whatever) and for each bad guy, name a pair of people including at least one good guy.

After the night phase the next round starts and a score is revealed. This score is the number of bad guys named by the bad guys, i.e. collectively how many of each other they managed to name, so anything from 0-6, during that night. If the good guys guessed exactly the two people a bad guy would name, that bad guy is now 'neutralised' - I don't know who (if anyone) gets told this has happened at this point. People can then discuss e.g. reveal who they named, and any kind of analysis, scumhunting etc. can go on.

At the end of the fourth round things are a little different. The good guys are done. All bad guys who weren't neutralised name two more people, trying to guess their allies. If any of them names both of the other bad guys, the whole bad guy team wins. If none of them do, the good team wins.

That's the rough idea. Any thoughts on it? Likely broken strategies? Worth giving a test run after Princess is over?

Sounds kind of like Mastermind, where you are guessing colors and order.  Here you are seeking combos, and getting a score to judge how well you did.

How's winning work?  When one bad guy correct guesses the other two?  Or when all three correctly guess?

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 08:59:41 pm »

Sounds complicated, I'll give it another think over at some point. Is there a reason the informed majority is the good team? I would think that if it's good vs evil it's the evil team that would be informed, since they're the team that has to deceive.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »

Sounds kind of like Mastermind, where you are guessing colors and order.  Here you are seeking combos, and getting a score to judge how well you did.

How's winning work?  When one bad guy correct guesses the other two?  Or when all three correctly guess?

Yep, quite a bit like Mastermind, but the information you get out is obfuscated in a different way. I was thinking more like Resistance when coming up with the rules.

Winning/losing is all on the final rounds guess (reread the last paragraph, you probably just missed it). A bad guy could correctly guess at any earlier point, but if they change their mind later, sorry, your fault. And note if they do guess correctly earlier, the good guys can't neutralise them on that round (yeah I thought of a few possible breaking strategies in advance :P).

Sounds complicated, I'll give it another think over at some point. Is there a reason the informed majority is the good team? I would think that if it's good vs evil it's the evil team that would be informed, since they're the team that has to deceive.

I think it shouldn't be too bad once you get the idea down. Day phase, discussion. Night phase, name two people. Get a combined score at the start of the next day but risk being neutralised if the good guys second guess you. Find your team by day 4 to win.

No particular reason for good/bad guys. Just arbitrarily choose and I thought I'd go for not the normal. I can see your reasoning there as well, might be simpler to understand that way around.

Note I thought up this idea in about 5-10 minutes, so it's likely rough around the edges a bit.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 10:29:55 pm »

I think I'm still confused.

So I'll use maj and min for the teams.  Nights 1-3:

minx3 submit 2 names that do not include themselves.
maj as a group submit 2 names PER min member.

Scoring is 0-6, with the number based on the number of maj members named by the min guesses.
If maj team was able to match a min guess, that min member is neutralized.

Night 4, active min members get one chance to guess their partners for the win.

At night (1-3):
The majority's goal is to neutralize the minority members at night by matching guesses.
The minority's goal is to figure out who the other minority members are by guessing pairs.

The final night:
The majority hope to have neutralized all or most of the minority.
The minority hope to guess their partners.

Neutralization is never made public, right?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 11:58:15 am »

That looks about right, yes.

Just to clarify what the majority would do, they'd submit an order that looks something like (assume 1-3 are the minority):

Player 1 guesses Player 4 and Player 6
Player 2 guesses Player 7 and Player 6
Player 3 guesses Player 1 and Player 4

And if any of those are correct they neutralise the player.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2013, 04:24:46 pm »

The Princess game we're playing right now reminds me of a game I once played called "Are you the Traitor?" Everyone has a certain role, and they're trying to find other players' roles fastest without giving themselves away.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41541/are-you-the-traitor

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »

I actually really like the sound of Jimm's game, though it is much harder than people said. If I am correct noone is told who chose wrong. So let me see:

Mc, robz, Jim, ash, galz are playing.
Mc and robz are town, Jim, ash, galz are mafia.

Round 1: player-chosen
Mc-Jim / robz-ash / Jim-mc / ash-robz / glaz-anyone

Now all we know is one of me and Jim is not town and one of robz and ash is not town.

Round 2:
Mc-ash / robz-Jim / Jim-robz / ash-mc / glaz-anyone

Still no win,

Round 3:
Mc-robz / robz-mc / Jim-ash / ash-Jim / glaz-anyone

We win.

So yes, you pick one person who is not town and I you are right you win.
3 mafia out of 5. A town player guessing has a 75% chance of picking a mafia player to "sit out" and thus winning the game. The difficult part is that mafia will 100% never let the mafia player sit out, but town should 100% never change the "sat out" player.

Yea I would be interested to see it will either be great, or a high town won rate.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 10:50:15 pm »

Now that Save the Princess is over, I think I'd like to try giving my game a test run. Any volunteers? Probably go for 48 hour days, 24 hour nights, so it'd take a little under 2 weeks total?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »

Now that Save the Princess is over, I think I'd like to try giving my game a test run. Any volunteers? Probably go for 48 hour days, 24 hour nights, so it'd take a little under 2 weeks total?

Jimmmmm for sure.  I'll give it a go.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 06:10:59 pm »

When are you starting up?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 12:21:09 pm »

Probably not, considering a general lack of interest.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 09:11:38 pm »

Probably not, considering a general lack of interest.

Your interest, or others' interest?

If it's fairly quick, I am sure you will get signups quickly. StP filled in an evening or so.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.284 seconds with 19 queries.