Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Ranking the Expansions  (Read 31871 times)

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking the Expansions
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 11:56:08 am »
+1

9: Cornucopia - this is the only expansion that suffers from power creep, I feel. Whether intentional or not, around half the cards are power cards for their cost, which is something I dislike. I don't mind a few cards being powerful, that makes the game fun in my opinion, but when half the set are that good, it's not much fun.

1: Seaside - My favourite expansion and it has been for a while. Durations are a lot of fun, and the set itself is very thematic. There's a few cards I dislike, such as Ghost Ship and Sea Hag, but they aren't enough to overcome my status quo bias of putting this first love of this expansion.

I find this list curious, because to me Seaside is the expansion which has the most power creep.  Using Qvist's rankings, Seaside has:

- 2 of the top 3 of the $3 cards (Ambassador, Fishing Village)
- The most powerful $4 card (Sea Hag)
- The 3rd best $5 card (Wharf)
- Several other cards such as Lighthouse, Warehouse and Caravan, that are very strong even if they don't get listed in the 'best of the best' category.

Now you could argue over whether Cornucopia has more or less power cards than this, but I'm intrigued that you use it as the sole justification for putting Cornucopia in last place, yet never even mention it while putting Seaside in first.
I actually did some calculations about Qvist rankings at one point recently. I looked at cards in top and bottom quintile of each list. This was before the $6+ list came out, and I excluded Alchemy and Promo cards entirely (treated them as if they didn't exist for purposes of calculating the quintiles).

When you subtracted the "bad" cards from the "strong" cards using this formula, I was surprised to discover that they all almost (i.e. within 1) exactly cancelled out except for two of the expansions. Yes, Seaside has Wharf, Sea Hag, etc., but it also has cards like Treasure Map and Pearl Diver. Likewise, Intrigue (home of Scout, Saboteur, etc.) has a reputation for being weak, but it also has cards like Masquerade and Swindler.

The 2 exceptions:

Cornucopia had 6 cards in the top quintile, and only 2 in the bottom quintile. When you remember that it's only a 13 card set...

Base. Base has a reputation for being somewhat underpowered, and the community ratings seem to bear that out. 9 (!) cards from Base were in the bottom quintile, while only 3 made it into the top quintile (Militia was the 3rd).

So to summarize; Base cards, while often important, tend to be weak on average, while Cornucopia cards tend to be very strong on average. Now with numbers!

Edit: Should note I rounded up on the sizes of my quintiles.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:59:16 am by Just a Rube »

Piemaster

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +170
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 12:01:09 pm »

You just listed four cards out of 26 that are right at the top, compared to:
Hamlet is the #2 $2 card
Menagerie is around #4-5 on the $3's
Remake, Tournament, Young Witch are the #3-5 $4 cards
Hunting Party is about #4-5 on the $5's

That's 6 cards out of 13 that are right at the top of their price brackets. Almost every expansion has some top level cards, some middling cards, and some low cards. Cornucopia just happens to have way too many top level cards. Even including the other three cards you named, it's 7/26, or barely over a quarter of the cards, in the top quarter of cards. Without that, it's 4/26 in the top 10%, which is a little high, but not really significantly so.

It also helps that cards like Wharf and Ambassador are fun and powerful, while cards like Tournament and Hunting Party are the extremely boring kind of powerful. And I don't know if you've played Hunting Party in real life, let me tell you, the whole digging for cards is not fun.

In addition to the ones I mentioned, Ghost Ship, Tactician, Salvager and Warehouse are also in the top 25%

If you think that Seaside cards are more fun, then that's a perfectly valid reason to rank it higher.  Just seemed weird that you ranked Cornucopia dead last solely because of it's power then don't even mention it for Seaside.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 12:03:16 pm »

Hmmmm.

9) Base - Sure, it's the one that hooked us all in, and it has a few key cards, like Throne Room, but having played with the expansions it's just so blah now.  I like it when Base cards pepper my kingdoms, but not when they're the entire kingdom, which is something I really can only say about Base (or maybe Alchemy - 8 Potion cards would be kind of intense).

8) Intrigue - Again, some really solid cards, and definitely more interesting than Base, but Base and Intrigue together, to me, form the actual "base" of Dominion - these are the key, solid cards.  There's nothing wrong with Intrigue, it's just that the other expansions are so much more interesting.

7) Seaside - I swear I'm not just going in order.  Bear in mind that from here on out, they're really, really close.  I do love Seaside, I just love the other sets more.  Durations are amazing (more, Donald X!), but this really is the last set to be affected by any sort of power creep or just Donald X in general getting better at rounding out cards.

6) Alchemy - I'm definitely not on the Alchemy hate bandwagon - some great cards here, definitely - but again, the best is yet to come.

5) Cornucopia - Told you I wasn't going in order!  Great set, great theme.

4) Guilds - I really like my experience with Guilds so far - I like what it adds, and I love how it affects the overall strategy of the game.  I predict that several of these will become household names, either for their uniqueness (Stonemason, Baker) or their power (Journeyman, Masterpiece, Merchant Guild).

3/2/1) I just can't pick between these - Hinterlands, Prosperity and Dark Ages are my favorite expansions.  Since I've shoved the Base Cards with the pretty pictures into Hinterlands, I oftentimes will just bring these three sets when playing Dominion IRL.  Lately I've also brought Guilds just to keep trying new things with it, but if these were the three only available sets of Dominion, I would still be quite satisfied.  Prosperity for the feeling of so much money (mwahahaha), Dark Ages for the fantastic combos and card interactions (Rats and Death Cart forever!), and Hinterlands as the most solid set in Dominion. 
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 12:52:38 pm »
+4

8) Intrigue
I hate it when this happens.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 01:45:39 pm »
+8

>:( Base Set
 ::) Promos
 :) Intrigue
 ??? Cornucopia
 :-* Seaside
 ;) Guilds
 :D Hinterlands
 :o Alchemy
 ;D Prosperity
 8) Dark Ages

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2013, 03:26:38 pm »

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2013, 04:55:20 pm »

You just listed four cards out of 26 that are right at the top, compared to:
Hamlet is the #2 $2 card
Menagerie is around #4-5 on the $3's
Remake, Tournament, Young Witch are the #3-5 $4 cards
Hunting Party is about #4-5 on the $5's

That's 6 cards out of 13 that are right at the top of their price brackets. Almost every expansion has some top level cards, some middling cards, and some low cards. Cornucopia just happens to have way too many top level cards. Even including the other three cards you named, it's 7/26, or barely over a quarter of the cards, in the top quarter of cards. Without that, it's 4/26 in the top 10%, which is a little high, but not really significantly so.

It also helps that cards like Wharf and Ambassador are fun and powerful, while cards like Tournament and Hunting Party are the extremely boring kind of powerful. And I don't know if you've played Hunting Party in real life, let me tell you, the whole digging for cards is not fun.

In addition to the ones I mentioned, Ghost Ship, Tactician, Salvager and Warehouse are also in the top 25%

If you think that Seaside cards are more fun, then that's a perfectly valid reason to rank it higher.  Just seemed weird that you ranked Cornucopia dead last solely because of it's power then don't even mention it for Seaside.

It wasn't soley because of power. I guess there's a fine line between 'powerful so it's fun' and 'unfun because of power' which Seaside stays behind, while Cornucopia crosses. I also find a lot of Seaside's strong cards are very fun - Wharf and Fishing Village make for great engines, Tactician leads to exciting double turns, Ambassador games tend to be interesting and exciting, Salvager leads to some fun plays etc.. With Cornucopia, any fun you might have from Remake and Menagerie is more than cancelled out by Tournament and Hunting Party, two of my least favourite cards in the whole of Dominion.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2013, 05:58:40 pm »
+2

I'll never understand why people put Cornucopia so low only because of tournament... hey, it's 1/13 of the set...
So for me :

9. Alchemy :) : I'm not an Alchemy hater but overall, this is the expansion I like the least because I don't like Familiar so much (even if still more than Mountebank and Witch), I hate alchemist (I don't see how it can be interesting), Philosopher's stone is weird, and Transmute is a bad designed card in my opinion. Otherwise, I love Apprentice and Vineyard.

8. Base :) : Not as awesome as the expansions.

7. Prosperity :) : At first I liked it a lot, now not so much. I don't enjoy the brutality of Mountebank and Goons games, and most of the other cards are unexciting. Like in every other sets, there are cards I have a particular love for (Forge being number 1), but overall still less than the other sets.

6. Intrigue :D : I have love and Hate cards. I think Seaside should have been a better expansion for first, but still a great expansion.

5. Dark Ages :D : I'm still discovering the expansion, so its position might change. But I think overall I like the cards from Seaside and Guilds a little bit more, even if the subtleties of a few DA cards (like Rogue or procession) is awesome.

4. Seaside :D : There are some of the most interesting cards of the game in this expansion (Embargo, Tactician). And yes, durations are fun.

3. Guilds :D : Coin tokens and overpaying are two new excellent mechanics. Some funky and subtle cards, I think like Hinterlands, I'll like the expansion better the more I'll play with.

2. Hinterlands  ;D : This expansion is fascinating. At first, I was a little skeptical about some cards (like... Duchess. What is the point ?), but really now I love what they add to the game. Yes, even IGG. Yes, even Jack sometimes. And duchess. I also love Develop. I played a bunch of games where I though it was a stupidly weak card, but now I love the tricks I can do with it. There is so much subtlety in this expansion. Incredible.

1. Cornucopia  ;D ;D : With no doubt, my favourite expansion. Excepting tournament, everything is perfect. Jester, FT and Young witch are the example of the "good" attacks (I mean, interesting AND enjoyable). Remake is one of the most interesting trashers. Fairgrounds change the dynamic of the game...

GwinnR

• Tactician
    • View Profile
    • German Youtube-Videos
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 01:49:42 am »

I do something like that in the german forums. Just like Qvists rankings, not with the strenght but how you like the cards.

Without Dark Ages and Guilds this is the result (from liked to uliked):

1. Cornucopia
2. Hinterlands
3. Base
4. Prosperty
5. Intrique
6. Seaside
7. Promo
8. Alchemy

[For the germans here...this is the thread of which i spoke: http://forum.dominionblog.de/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2000]
Nobody's perfect, but I'm only a nobody o.O

My german Youtube-Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gwinnrdominion

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 02:01:18 am »
+5

10: Base Cards- 5%- Seriously Donald? The only visble strategy here is BM. And what's up with potion? There isn't any potion cost in the set???

9: Base- 30%- Yeah it's what started us off, and it's nice and all, but too many weak cards. Pretty bland.

8: Hinterlands- 45%- There are cards I really hate, like IGG, FG, plus stuff like like Duchess that makes you want to cry. I really only like Tunnel and Silk Roads here. I do hate to put it this low, but something has to be down here.

7: Cornucopia- 50%- Tournament is horrible. Why? Just why? Fortune Teller is boring, Jester is annoying and kind of swingy. There are some cards I like, like horse traders, but again, I can't rank all the sets high.

6: Intruige- 60%- I genuinely like a lot of cards here, like Bridge, Conspirator, Baron, and Steward. I really dislike Swindler and Torturer. Pretty average for me.

5: Prosperity- 65%- Many cards I like, like Peddler, and Bishop, as well as stuff like Watchtower, Loan, and Venture. Dislike the snowball nature of GM, and dislike Mountebank, but otherwise is fine.

4: Alchemy- 75%- I really hate Familiar, but all the other cards (even Herbalist and Transmute) range from nice to awesome. Potions are fun for me, Golem is crazy awesome, Apprentice is fun, SP is so satisfying, and Vineyards is pretty cool. PStone is also very interesting as well.

3: Guilds- 85%- Overpay and coin tokens are really fun and cool, escpecially overpay (Acheivement Unclocked!) but the other cards leave something to desire.

2: Dark Ages- 90%- So much awesome. The only card I really dislike is Cultist. Rats is so satisfying to win with, the upgrades are useful, and it's fun doing on-trash ability shenanigans. Shelters and Ruins add a lot. Poor House is cool, as are Spoils. Counterfeit, JD, and Forager are good and interesting trashers. Knights are cool as well. I think this expansion adds the most to the game.

1: Seaside- 95%- Love durations, Sea Hag fixes the problem of 5 cursers, everyone can open. Island, NV and Haven are cool, even Pirate Ship has its virtues. TM is swingy, but with support can be strategic, Treasury is nice, as is Explorer. Even the lowly Pearl Diver isn't that bad. So much good, and very little mediocre makes this my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 02:02:33 am by StrongRhino »

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 05:07:39 am »

Here is my list.  Just going to deal in proper sets/expansions, not getting into promos and stuff.

9. Base - I loved it at the time, but it really looks dated now.  Too many really bad and uninteresting cards.  Still, it does a job and does it well.

8. Alchemy - I don't dislike Alchemy as much as some people, but it does seem a bit out of sync with the rest of the game somehow.  I don't like the idea of having to 'doctor' my sets and kingdoms to accommodate the clunky potion mechanic, even though I do like a lot of the cards.

7. Guilds - I haven't played enough Guilds to give an accurate assessment yet, but it seems I am not as enthralled as most people.  It has some nice mechanics in it, but due to the small size of the set they are not really fleshed out very well.  It would have been better to make this a larger expansion I think.

6. Hinterlands - Pretty good, I guess, I like a lot of the cards in Hinterlands.  There are some rather bland ones I dislike though, such as Duchess, Inn and Farmland and the mechanics in there don't excite me all that much.  This could have traded with Guilds and been the smaller set.

5. Intrigue - I like Intrigue quite a lot and thought it was the perfect follow-up to the original.  The cards are a lot more interesting than base and many of them are still favourites of mine.

4. Dark Ages - Dark Ages is a kind of crazy madness that I enjoy playing with a lot.  I don't think I would want to play a Kingdom of pure DA, but sprinkled in amongst other expansions it works well and facilitates some very interesting interactions.

3. Prosperity - I'm not as high on Prosperity as most people, but it does contain some iconic and wickedly fun cards (such as Kings Court, Goons and Grand Market) even if the Colony/Platinum thing doesn't add as much to the game as I hoped.

2. Cornucopia - I love Cornucopia!  It panders to a playing style that I really like and encourages you to use cards that you habitually ignore.It has some very powerful cards, and I don't hate Tournament as much as most people.  Only falls down due to being only 13 cards

1. Seaside - The traditional favourite.  I like the duration cards and many of the cards in here are truly iconic ones.  Plus this is the only set where I feel the theme strongly comes through in the cards.  It was a close-run thing between this and Cornucopia, but in the end I gave the nod to the larger and more fully-explored set.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 05:17:49 am »

Quote from: Piemaster
There are some rather bland ones I dislike though, such as Duchess, Inn and Farmland and the mechanics in there don't excite me all that much.
Bland ? I would say subtle.
Duchess is a $2 card, and those cards are not game-changer, obviously. But I think duchess is a particularly interesting one, I think.
Farmland is another really interesting card, that 2VP potential lead changes the dynamic of the game.
And Inn is wonderful for tactical engine plays...

Piemaster

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2013, 09:41:55 am »

Quote from: Piemaster
There are some rather bland ones I dislike though, such as Duchess, Inn and Farmland and the mechanics in there don't excite me all that much.
Bland ? I would say subtle.
Duchess is a $2 card, and those cards are not game-changer, obviously. But I think duchess is a particularly interesting one, I think.
Farmland is another really interesting card, that 2VP potential lead changes the dynamic of the game.
And Inn is wonderful for tactical engine plays...

You're right, there's nothing wrong with these cards.  I don't think there is really a bad card in the game, so it's all relative really.  Hinterlands just contains some of the cards that interest me least.

GeronimoRex

• Navigator
  • Respect: +49
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 12:30:33 pm »
+1

I'd have a really hard time ranking them... Haven't played Guilds at all, so it's not on this list:

9. Promo Cards -- I'm a rare person that really likes Governor (it's a fun card that benefits everyone and speeds the game up as long as no one spams it), but none of the Promos are essential.

8. Base Set -- too many boring cards. I feel like 1/3 of this set could disappear and no one would miss it.

7. Alchemy -- I really like Alchemy--we started with the Big Box set and so we have played a lot of Alchemy games. Games with 3 or more Alchemy cards are often great games with some interesting nuances. But with totally random sets, too many kingdoms end up with 1-2 Alchemy cards, making the need for Potions annoying. If limited amounts of Alchemy cards played better with other sets, or if there were more cards, I'd rank it higher. For instance, if Alchemy/Cornucopia were combined into a single large set, almost all with Potion costs, I'd rank it higher (e.g. Tournament would be less frustrating/swingy if it required a Potion buy to slow down acquisition).

6. Intrigue -- As much as I like some of the cards, especially the Action-Victory cards, there are too many forgettable cards. Would have loved to see more Action-Victory or Treasure-Victory or other alt-Victory cards in other sets.

5. Prosperity -- Lots of really fun cards, but the big money focus isn't as much fun to play as the more nuanced strategies present in some of the other expansions. I do like the difference Colony/Platinum can make to a kingdom and to replay value. Playing the same kingdom with and without Colony/Platinum makes for two radically different games that require totally rethought strategy. Simple change, huge implications.

4. Hinterlands -- On gain effects are awesome and are a great strategic element. But after gain, lots of the cards don't excite me.

3. Dark Ages -- So many fun cards. So many complicated interactions. The complexity is great for long-term value, but is harder to involve new players and can immensely slow down the game. And having more Kingdom cards than any other set makes it an awesome value. Probably more value for your money in the Dark Ages box than in any other Dominion set.

2. Seaside -- Duration is awesome. Theme is consistent, and virtually every card is fun. Many of the best game-changing cards are here: Embargo, Lookout, Native Village, Island, Tactician...

1. Cornucopia -- I know the cards are powerful. It's a small set, so that's okay. It will never be played standalone. And, as someone else mentioned, I love that there are several cards that encourage diversity -- it helps every card in a Kingdom to be considered as part of a viable strategy. I think some of the strategies encouraged by Cornucopia are some of the most complex strategies and some of the most rewarding. Interactions between Cornucopia and Dark Ages can be particularly crazy and fun.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2013, 03:13:44 pm »

A "gut feelings" list.

10. Promos
9. Base
8. Cornucopia
7. Guilds
6. Seaside
5. Dark Ages
4. Alchemy
3. Prosperity
2. Intrigue
1. Hinterlands
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2013, 03:26:09 pm »

10. Promos
9. Base
8. Intrigue
7. Alchemy
6. Guilds (only've played 1 game with it so far)
5. Cornucopia
4. Hinterlands
3. Prosperity
2. Seaside
1. Dark Ages
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2013, 03:38:53 pm »
+3

10. meh
9. meh
8. meh
7. meh
6. meh
5. meh
4. meh
3. meh
2. meh
1. Cornucopia
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

Fragasnap

• Tactician
  • Respect: +703
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2013, 05:31:33 pm »
+2

By my personal preference. If I like having it on the table, it gets a high rating. Starting with number 8:

8.    Dominion- Lots of staples here, but unfortunately, most of the set is dominated by Big Money and far too many cards are huge duds. I would miss the staple vanilla cards, but the set really doesn't stand up very well on its own, particularly with the level of analysis that this board has provided. Mechanically great, but outmoded-- practically by design.
Love:         Smithy
Hate:     Adventurer

7.     Alchemy- I have nothing against the mechanic and am not one to spit on it by virtue of how few cards in this odd theme there are, but a number of cards are extremely swingy and fiddly so I look down on the entire set. I enjoy the level of strategic commitment required for many of the cards in this set. It makes for some really interesting analysis of some boards since the strategies using them diverge from the norm. This really could have stood being expanded to a full set to milk all the flavor out of it and I would have loved it-- in fact, I want to love it even as it is, but it is just too lacking.
Love:     Apprentice
Hate:       Familiar

6.      Guilds- The new mechanic is very effective and doesn't lead to the boring certainty I feared at the outset. I am very disappointed in the Attacks in this set, being swingy and lackluster. The off-theme cards are particularly offending in this set due to it being small. Really, the biggest disappointment is easily that the set is not bigger than it is because the mechanics in it could definitely gone a lot further.
Love:         Doctor
Hate:     Soothsayer

5. Cornucopia- The cards that are so loathed in this expansion are fun to play with (and while one in particular can be swingy, I don't think it is as bad as most people make it out to be) and the theme as a whole encourages interesting deck composition. That particular one card strategy gets pretty old pretty fast, but otherwise the rest of the set is fun to play with. I'm rarely unhappy for a game to be generated with these cards.
Love: Horn of Plenty
Hate:         Jester

4.    Intrigue- I like the alternate VP and Village-type in this set particularly, but a lot of the set still seems rough around the edges. It always felt as though most Kingdom cards either dominates games or are completely negligible. At the same time, the set has a lot of really cool cards that I struggle to imagine Dominion without. Even better that Base cards are included.
Love:          Baron
Hate:           Pawn

3.   Dark Ages- Really wish some of the themes were carried further and some of those cards piles were used more. Despite being the most flavorful and professional in appearance, a lot of the cards were actually pretty mediocre, but when a card stands out here it is an excessively memorable card. In some ways, this set feels like a loose cannon with the amount of stuff in it, yet it somehow manages to hold together just enough to make a great expansion.
Love:    Graverobber
Hate:         Armory

2.     Seaside- Wow the theme of this one is awesome and surprisingly consistent-- maybe because the mechanic stands out so much from almost every other mechanic in the game. The attacks are a bit on the powerful side, but are incredibly memorable so I forgive that. So many people have heaped so much praise on to this one, that I can't really add more to it. This is simply a great expansion.
Love:        Embargo
Hate:          Wharf

Hey look, I put last place second up so that you can wonder what it is for a second!

9. Prosperity- The more I play with it, the less I like it. Very few things in the set feel cohesive. Expensive cards often lead to swingier games that are decided by luck just as often as skill. I love the Reaction card of this set and might miss a few others, but otherwise would be perfectly happy without this expansion.
Love:     Watchtower
Hate:       Platinum

1. Hinterlands- Lots of in set combos, lots of cards with very kingdom dependent power levels that very rarely feel particularly out of hand. The theme is also pretty good, even if it sometimes feels somewhat tacked-on, flavor wise. Often, this set makes me feel clever for playing the cards right, especially with its in-theme cards. What's more, most of the cards are always useful somewhere, and even the generally powerful ones require some amount of the finese.
Love: Border Village
And to be honest, I really don't dislike any cards from this set all that much.

As a Goko freeloader (I'm not going to pay for a service that disconnects 20% of the time and makes me look bad for it), I've been playing a disproportionately high amount of base only games, and it most definitely seems to be the worst set.
I have to say, as a Goko freeloader (who doesn't actually play Goko, but has before), playing with only one set many times in a row always makes me feel rather jaded against that set.
Dominion: Avarice 1.1a, my fan expansion with "in-games-using-this" cards and Edicts (updated Oct 18, 2021)

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2013, 05:34:43 pm »
+4

Really, the biggest disappointment is easily that the set is not bigger than it is
Dude, it would be really hard to make a set that is bigger than it is.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2013, 05:58:04 pm »
+4

Really, the biggest disappointment is easily that the set is not bigger than it is
Dude, it would be really hard to make a set that is bigger than it is.
I want a set that's well-sized. Well, big compared to a small set, small compared to a big set, and average compared to sets of the same size as itself.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 06:03:38 pm »

I love King's Court. It's my favorite card.

+1 just for this.

brokoli

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 06:12:43 pm »

Actually, I think all small sets should have been larger.
I like the love/hate idea (I'll say "dislike" because hate is too harsh). For me :

Base
Love : Library
Dislike : Witch

Intrigue
Love : Baron (but Duke, Coppersmith and Saboteur are close)
Dislike : Minion

Seaside
Love : Tactician / Island
Dislike : Ghost ship

Alchemy
Love : Apprentice
Dislike : Alchemist

Prosperity
Love : Forge
Dislike : Mountebank

Cornucopia
Love : Menagerie / Horn of Plenty
Dislike : Tournament

Hinterlands
Love : Tunnel / Farmland / Inn
Dislike : Jack / Margrave

Dark Ages
Love : Knights
Dislike : Urchin-Mercenary

Guildes
Love : Stonemason / Candlestick maker / Merchant guild / Butcher (yep, after more games I'll know)
Dislike : Doctor

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:19 pm »

Seems fun.

Set{Like / Dislike}
Base{Library / Feast}
Intrigue{Masquerade / Minion}
Seaside{Navigator / the fact that the set has 2 cheap junking attacks}
Prosperity{Counting House / Goons}
Cornucopia{Jester / Hunting Party}
Hinterlands{Trader / Fool's Gold in a 2-player game}
Guilds{Butcher / none yet}
Dark Ages{Procession in Dark Ages heavy games / Rebuild, especially without Shelters}
Alchemy{Philosopher's Stone / Scrying Pool}
Promos{Stash / Governor}
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:27:57 pm by LastFootnote »

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2013, 06:31:39 pm »

Love: Everything.
Dislike: Black Market.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2013, 06:51:30 pm »

Me too!

Base
Love: Witch | Hate: Spy

Intrigue
Love: Steward | Hate: Nobles

Seaside:
Love: Pearl Diver | Hate: Lighthouse

Alchemy:
Love: Apprentice | Hate: Vineyards

Prosperity:
Love: King's Court | Hate: Colony

Cornucopia:
Love: Fortune Teller | Hate: Horn of Plenty

Hinterlands:
Love: Ill-Gotten Gains | Hate: Embassy

Dark Ages:
Love: Cultist | Hate: Rebuild

Guilds:
Love: Merchant Guild | Hate: Doctor?

Promo:
Love: Envoy | Hate: Governor

And actually, after rethinking this, I would probably put Hinterlands above Base and Intrigue, after all. Or above Base at least.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.922 seconds with 20 queries.