Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Awesome Scout  (Read 1823 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Awesome Scout
« on: July 02, 2013, 09:20:08 pm »

Disclaimer: I don't claim i had the best strategy on the board. Probably there were much faster ones. Still, i think a setting where Scout produces +1Action, +8$ is remarkable. There's no log because it was a real life game.

Story: We have all the expansions except Guilds, and decided to only use cards from two sets for a game. This one was Intrigue/Prosperity:
Scout
Bishop
Bridge
City
Mint
Torturer
Contraband
Goons
Harem
Kings Court

I opened 4/3 with Bridge/Silver and had 5 Coppers in hand turn 3. I felt lucky enough to buy a Mint and was lucky enough to buy a Harem turn 4 (though it would have worked out sooner or later anyway, as both opponents trimmed my deck with their Bishops). Turn 5 i copied my first Harem with Mint and bought a City. Soon i could trash my remaining money for another Mint and it didn't take long until my deck had no other money but Harem, and two Mints, a Bridge and 2 Cities as the only Actions (no estates). This was the time where i felt i actually wanted some Scouts. Using my Mints to gain up to 2 Harems per turn, my Scouts drew me ridiculous amounts of them. I more than once revealed 4 Harems, and being able to end a turn with a Bridge even gave me the buy i needed to make good use of them. It was absurd. In fact Scouts became so good that i'd rather discard two Harems for Goons then them.

Long story short, i still lost the game by two points, because i was stupid enough to reveal Mint and gain my 12th Harem, powering up my KC/City opponents. Still it was fun, and it made me see that while Scout is an awful card almost always, there are really specific games where it actually shines. Sad that there are so few of them.

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome Scout
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:39 am »
+3

Kings court-KC-Torturer-KC-bridge-bridge-bridge
Beats Scout I think.

As does the above with goons instead of bridge. Or maybe with bridge.

You definitely don't want harems on this kingdom...

Ed

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 01:08:23 am »

Your strategy is a nice idea for a weaker kingdom.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 01:14:32 am »
+5

Rebuild is obviously best here.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 02:24:06 am »
+2

Beats Scout I think.

Quote of the year.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 09:25:02 am »

Rebuild is obviously best here.

I guess the joke is that the kingdom doesn't matter because Rebuild is always best? In that case, i agree.

Beats Scout I think.

As does the above with goons instead of bridge. Or maybe with bridge.

You definitely don't want harems on this kingdom...

I know it wasn't the best possible strategy. Actually i wanted to go Bridge/Kings Court myself, but i got... distracted. Some of us just like to try something new from time to time, and Kings Court bores me. As i said, i just found it remarkable, and i think it's really like dondon151 said. It's not easy to compete with power cards like Goons or Kings Court.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 03:31:55 pm by Asper »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 20 queries.