Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Throne Room and Band of Misfits as Mining Village  (Read 2323 times)

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Throne Room and Band of Misfits as Mining Village
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:35:14 am »

If I play a Throne Room, playing a Band of Misfits twice, choosing Mining Village, and trashing it the first play, do I play it a second time? Do I get to choose a new card, since Band of Misfits left play?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Throne Room and Band of Misfits as Mining Village
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:39:58 am »
+1

If I play a Throne Room, playing a Band of Misfits twice, choosing Mining Village, and trashing it the first play, do I play it a second time? Do I get to choose a new card, since Band of Misfits left play?

Yes, you play it a second time; no, you don't get to choose a new card, even though Band of Misfits left play. There was a whole big discussion about this when Dark Ages came out.

shMerker

• Duke
  • Respect: +389
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:30:53 pm »
+2

Said discussion, in case anyone reading this is interested. And here's the Cliff's notes version from a later thread:

Throne on a Band as a one-shot has a special ruling, unique to that situation, and that special ruling is why it works that way, in the technical sense. And the reason for that ruling was that the rulebook didn't address it, and I wanted it to work like people would think it would, and the other option (not doing anything the second time) was crazy counterintuitive.

And so the ruling is that Throne "locks in" on what it's playing, which again only matters for Band. If Band is Feast the first time then Throne is Feasting again the second time, it is not looking at Band to see what Band is now.

It makes sense that Procession can gain an Action costing 6$ after using it with BoM, but why does BoM return to itself when it's trashed the one time, and not the other? To make this even more clear, play Procession, choose BoM and use it as Feast. After you actually trash it, you still have to treat it as a Feast, but after resolving it the second time, you treat it as BoM again. To me, this makes no sense. Can somebody enlighten me?
Procession gaining a card is a *separate step*. At that point we have finished playing the card and want to look at it. When we look at it it costs whatever it costs now.
"I take no responsibility whatsoever for those who get dizzy and pass out from running around this post."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:23:47 pm »

What plays a big role for this ruling is the fact that any card that causes you to play another card multiple times, be it Throne Room, Kings Court or Procession from that older thread, "locks in" on the card it plays. As you play Band of Misfits "as if it was" another card, Throne Room locks in on that card and not on Band of Misfits. Those two things together are the reason Throne Room plays the chosen card twice, and not Band of Misfits.

This explanation is probably a bit more than you wanted, but if you want to know why it's like that - that's the reason.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 09:24:00 pm by Asper »

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:32:50 pm »

What plays a big role for this ruling is the fact that any card that causes you to play another card multiple times, be it Throne Room, Kings Court or Procession from that older thread, "locks in" on the card it plays.

I agree that this is the case, but I think this "lock in" rule was invented by DXV on the spot for Band of Misfits.

This is one of the reasons why you can play a card a second time with Throne Room even if it was trashed.

I don't think it is.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:23:42 pm »

What plays a big role for this ruling is the fact that any card that causes you to play another card multiple times, be it Throne Room, Kings Court or Procession from that older thread, "locks in" on the card it plays.

I agree that this is the case, but I think this "lock in" rule was invented by DXV on the spot for Band of Misfits.

This is one of the reasons why you can play a card a second time with Throne Room even if it was trashed.

I don't think it is.

Maybe not. Actually, i have no proof for this, so i'll remove it. In that case, you are probably right about the lock in rule, too. It only matters for BoM.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.639 seconds with 20 queries.