Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Coup I (Game Over - Liopoil wins!)  (Read 15847 times)

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
Coup I (Game Over - Liopoil wins!)
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:59:03 pm »

Link.
Description down below:
Quote from: BGG
In Coup, you want to be the last player with influence in the game, with influence being represented by face-down character cards in your playing area.

Each player starts the game with two coins and two influence – i.e., two face-down character cards; the fifteen card deck consists of three copies of five different characters, each with a unique set of powers:

Duke: Take three coins from the treasury. Block someone from taking foreign aid.
    Assassin: Pay three coins and try to assassinate another player's character.
    Contessa: Block an assassination attempt.
    Captain: Take two coins from another player, or block someone from stealing coins from you.
    Ambassador: Draw two character cards from the Court (the deck), choose which (if any) to exchange with your face-down characters, then return two. Block someone from stealing coins from you.

On your turn, you can take any of the actions listed above, regardless of which characters you actually have in front of you, or you can take one of three other actions:

Income: Take one coin from the treasury.
    Foreign aid: Take two coins from the treasury.
    Coup: Pay seven coins and launch a coup against an opponent, forcing that player to lose an influence. (If you have ten coins, you must take this action.)

When you take one of the character actions – whether actively on your turn, or defensively in response to someone else's action – that character's action automatically succeeds unless an opponent challenges you. In this case, if you can't reveal the appropriate character, you lose an influence, turning one of your characters face-up. Face-up characters cannot be used, and if both of your characters are face-up, you're out of the game.

If you do have the character in question, you reveal it, the opponent loses an influence, then you shuffle that character into the deck and draw a new one, perhaps getting the same character again and perhaps not.

The last player to still have influence – that is, a face-down character – wins the game!

Game State:

Turn Order
1. liopoil
2. Grujah
3. Umbrageofsnow
4. Twistedarcher
5. hyramgraff

--

liopoil (Finished 1st!)
Duke
Ambassador

Claims:
Ambassador

Grujah (Finished 3rd!)
Assassin
Assassin

Claims

UmbrageOfSnow (Finished 5th!)

Duke
Captain

Claims
Captain
Duke

Twistedarcher (Finished 4th!)

Contessa
Assassin

Claims
Ambassador

hyramgraff (Finished 2nd!)
Duke
Contessa

Claims
Duke
Contessa

Playing by forum:

To keep things running smoothly and quickly, turns are going to work like this:

1. On your turn, bold one action {Ambassador, Captain, Duke, Assassin, Income, Foreign Aid, Coup} and list a target for said action (if required).
  1A. That action has 24 hours to resolve (except for Coup and Income which happen almost instantly). During this time period, players can either:
    1Aa. Challenge that player by posting Challenge:Player Name {Card Name}
    1Ab. React to that action by claiming to have a card I have Contessa {Assassination}/Duke{Foreign Aid}/Ambassador {Captain}!
  1B. If you have a card that can block a played card or want to call someone out, but aren't online in time, tough cheese. You don't get to and the action goes as normal. So be active!
2. You may set presets. Say, for example, you always want to immediately block Assasation attempts, you must notify me and tell me that whenever someone were to play an Assassin on you, you immediately respond with a Contessa. Or that you never want to call Player X out for playing the Assassin.
  2A.I suggest everyone set at least one preset during the pregame. You can set them at any time and they can be undone at any time.
    2Aa. This will keep the game running smoothly and can make the actions you take seem more valid (akin to IRL when players immediately respond to an action being taken).
  2B. These presets will be posted by me, but under the player in question's name.
3. Table talk IS allowed, but no talking to other players outside the game thread whether IRL or by PMs.
4. Refer to the OP often. I will be updating it frequently with...
  1A. What players claim to have (whether or not they do or don't have it).
  1B. What cards players have flipped over.
   1Ba. And who is out and who is in.
  1C. The amount of money players have.
  1D. The turn order.

Actions:

Assassin:
Pay 3 coins. Choose 1 player. They lose one card. BLOCKED BY CONTESSA
Captain: Choose 1 player. Take 2 coins. BLOCKED BY CAPTAIN; BLOCKS CAPTAIN
Ambassador: Draw 2 cards, add them to your facedown cards, and return 2 cards to the deck. BLOCKS CAPTAIN
Contessa: BLOCKS ASSASSIN
Duke: Take 3 coins. BLOCKS FOREIGN AID

Income: Take 1 coin.
Foreign Aid: Take 2 coins. BLOCKED BY DUKE
Coup: Pay 7 coins. Choose one player. They lose one card.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 06:23:02 pm by Archetype »

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Coup PBF
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:07 pm »

I can attest to this being a very fun game!  (Though I am not in.)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:19 pm »

In!

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:20:05 am »

This game looks cool.. I recently purchased it on kickstarter and am waiting it's arrival in a couple of months.  I am worried about how this would play on a forum, though.  After every single action, wouldn't you have to wait for every single player to check in to possibly challenge it?  It just seems like it has the possibility to really drag on.. I get the impression that it's supposed to be a quick and simple game with short decision times, and am worried that we wouldn't get that here.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:55 am »

/in

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:57 pm »

This game looks cool.. I recently purchased it on kickstarter and am waiting it's arrival in a couple of months.  I am worried about how this would play on a forum, though.  After every single action, wouldn't you have to wait for every single player to check in to possibly challenge it?  It just seems like it has the possibility to really drag on.. I get the impression that it's supposed to be a quick and simple game with short decision times, and am worried that we wouldn't get that here.
eh I'll probably have defaults.

So a player can tell me that they'd like their Contessa (which they may or may not have) to activate immediately when they are Assassinated. Or for their default action on their turn is to use Duke (which they may or may not have). If a player doesn't want to call people out, they can just tell me before hand. Stuff like that.

We ran Love Letter by forum and it worked fairly well.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

/in.

hyramgraff

• Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 03:21:06 pm »

Why not.  /in

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 03:37:52 pm »

Cool beans. 4 players works ok.

I'll probably start this on Monday with whoever is signed up, if that's cool with you guys. nkirbit, did you want to /in?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:41:18 pm by Archetype »

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Coup PBF (Stars Monday, 2 spots left!)
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 06:59:16 pm »

Yeah, why not!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 11:10:34 pm »

Love Letter is a single action per player. Any interaction with other players can be trivially handled by the mod, who needs to send the next player his card anyway.

This requires at least a moderate level of people responding to most actions. I think it isn't so suited to PBF play - it'll be too heavy on checking in for so light a game.

If people want to, go ahead though. I've played before but I think you might actually find it a bit disappointing in a PBF setting.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2013, 11:47:17 pm »

Love Letter is a single action per player. Any interaction with other players can be trivially handled by the mod, who needs to send the next player his card anyway.

This requires at least a moderate level of people responding to most actions. I think it isn't so suited to PBF play - it'll be too heavy on checking in for so light a game.

If people want to, go ahead though. I've played before but I think you might actually find it a bit disappointing in a PBF setting.
Eh, yeah possibly. But it should run smoothly since it seems like everyone that has signed up gets online often enough anyways.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
    • View Profile
Re: Coup PBF (Stars Monday, 1 spot left!)
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2013, 12:23:56 pm »

/out, sorry.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
    • View Profile
Re: Coup PBF (Stars Monday, 2 spot left!)
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2013, 02:07:21 pm »

Read some reviews on BGG, this looks interesting, I'll try it.

/in

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Coup PBF (Pregame!)
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »

Sending out hands.

Please confirm back to me once you receive them.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
Re: Coup I (Pregame!)
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2013, 02:11:27 pm »

Can you make it more explicit in the OP which character cards block which other cards?

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2013, 02:21:48 pm »

Important question to get out of the way now before any of us debate claiming or not:  Are our roles distributed with a deck of cards, or randomly without regard to number.  Are there exactly 3 of each role?

More importantly, if 2 copies of role X are out, is the probability of a third being drawn less than the probability of a role which no one currently holds (as it should be with cards), or are the roles determined randomly as with dice, with a limit of how many and a re-roll if that limit would be exceeded?

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:29 pm »

No fancy algorithms. I just have a deck of Coup cards right next to me, so I'll be shuffling, dealing them out , and generally just mimicking what is going on in here.

Added the character cards to the OP. Remember, you can make presets at any time, but it is recommended you set one now for sake of ease (depending on your starting hand, that is).

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 02:58:41 pm »

No fancy algorithms. I just have a deck of Coup cards right next to me, so I'll be shuffling, dealing them out , and generally just mimicking what is going on in here.

That's actually what I was hoping for.  A deck of cards is sort of a fancier algorithm that gives us more to work with.  I was afraid you'd be rolling dice or using a random number generator, deck of cards is much preferred!

Archetype

• Jester
    • View Profile
Re: Coup I
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2013, 06:12:28 pm »

And that's all the /confirms!

liopoil, take your first action!

After liopoil has made his move, it'd be really helpful if players either PM'd or write in thread No Reaction to help speed up the time between turns and so we know we aren't waiting on anyone.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2013, 07:10:11 pm »

Ambassador!!

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2013, 07:12:06 pm »

Challenge:Lipoil {Ambassador}

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2013, 07:17:29 pm »

Well, then no reaction! (is this even necessary since the challenge has already happened?)

Twistedarcher

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 07:18:01 pm »

Oh do we need to go in order for reactions?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2013, 07:23:33 pm »

I kinda think we should go in order, otherwise I will just wait to see if someone else will challenge so I don't have to...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 19 queries.