Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $6+ cards  (Read 19329 times)

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: The Dominion Cards Lists 2013 Edition: $6+ cards
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:26 pm »
+1

Altar and Expand is an interesting comparison.  Altar is only better than Expand if you can go 0 --> 4 or 0 --> 5, either normal pricing or with price reduction.  Expand is greater than or equal to Altar if you are trashing a card costing greater than or equal to 2.

Now, how much of a difference does the cost of 6 and 7 make?  Well, both of these cards want to be gotten early, and for the first reshuffle, it is much easier to hit $6 than $7.

I think that difference in ease is more important than the difference in power.  But, perhaps Altar should be a rank or two lower.

And 1 --> 5. Don't forget Shelters and Poor House!

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 10:46:21 pm »

Every deck starts with seven cards with a cost of 0 that you want to trash that are in that range - the starting coppers. That makes a big difference in Altar's favor.

This is a big point, and I think Altar is a better card. I'd probably buy Altar more than Expand even if they both cost $6.

Expand is a worse version of all the following cards combined:
Graverobber (Power $5->Province)
Rebuild (Duchy->Province)
Mine/Taxman (Silver->Gold etc.)
Remodel (Treasure->Victory)
Altar (Copper->$3 card, Estates->Power $5)
Hermit (Curse/Ruins->$3 Card)

Still, none of those are bad cards, and you get them all at once. Versatility is very good for a TFB.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 10:55:16 pm »

Altar can also gain a card when your hand is empty, which I do every so often.
Well you *do* need a signature...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 11:17:32 pm »

This list is mostly unchanged from the last rendition, with the exception of the two added cards. Hunting Grounds is probably in the right place, but I think Altar deserves better. But then again, I think practically all the gainers are categorically underrated. Right now the biggest problems I have with this list are the underrating of Fairgrounds and overrating of Peddler. The underrating of Fairgrounds is consistent with general underrating (imo) of VP cards, but it's maybe more obviously wrong here than on other lists. I think the best explanation was given by -Stef- (hopefully I'm not misattrbuting this...) that Fairgrounds is often just like another stack of Provinces. Peddler I guess people love because you can get a lot of them fast sometimes, but well, it's not that often that you do that, and when you only get a few Peddlers, it's not that strong, since they're just Peddlers. I have it at #9. Fairgrounds, Altar, Nobles, and Hunting Grounds all do much more for you. GM is also too high. Not too many spots, since it's probably 4th or 5th, but the gap between it and Border Village is astounding. I think Border Village is pretty clearly better. It's just so much more convenient to get, and always comes with the terminals you want to play with it.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 12:04:45 am »

I feel like Farmland's blurb only really scratches the surface of what Farmland is for. It can be used in the endgame for a small VP boost, sure. Mainly it's a Hinterlands combo card, though. It's like the Rats of Hinterlands.

EDIT: Not that it necessarily belongs much higher on this list, mind you. I'd probably put it above Harem, Expand, and Forge, though.

Which cards do you feel it combos well with from Hinterlands?  Silk Road for sure.  Border Village too.

Those are definitely two of them, yeah. In terms of it being a faux Silver that helps you buy Provinces later, it combos much better with Crossroads than real Silver. Likewise it's a good place to stash buying power in a Noble Brigand game where a Gold could easily be stolen before you ever see it.

It combos with Trader in a fashion similar to Border Village. I believe I had at least one game semi-recently where I bought a Farmland and turned an Estate into a Trader, then later used the Trader to trash the Farmland and gain 6 Silvers. Mind you, there was some other card on the board that made Trader desirable (Ill-Gotten Gains, Cache, etc.). Otherwise that wouldn't have been worthwhile.

I think those are the big ones. There are other things, of course, like turning a Spice Merchant into a Gold in the midgame, etc.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:45 am »
+1

It's probably just my experience but in almost every single game I've played with it, I've found some use for a Farmland. Some of them might have been bad plays, but it was always tempting.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2013, 08:27:28 am »

With the 2013 edition finished, the question to ask now is how long we should wait before judging the Guilds cards.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

achmed_sender

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: achmedsender
  • Respect: +202
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2013, 08:33:46 am »

With the 2013 edition finished, the question to ask now is how long we should wait before judging the Guilds cards.

Potion Cards are still unranked, I suppose...and the Favourites List

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2013, 03:05:33 pm »

Ah, yes, Potions!  But that's not going to be affected by Guilds anyway.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2013, 03:10:00 pm »
+10

Sure it is. We have to put 5 stonemasons on that list.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 03:11:09 pm by jonts26 »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2013, 11:03:17 pm »
+1

Sure it is. We have to put 5 stonemasons on that list.

I regret that I do not have 5 +1's to give.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2013, 11:25:02 pm »

There, gave you a +1 to pass along, Kirian.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2013, 12:05:38 am »

Give it some time, so that the Guilds cards have a chance to be reasonably ranked. Look what happened with Rebuild on this list.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.