Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trashing potions on a mint buy  (Read 1766 times)

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
Trashing potions on a mint buy
« on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:15 am »

I am pretty sure I have this right, but I am just checking.  On a mint, you "trash all treasure cards in play".  I played a board last night against my dad where there was Golem, Familiar and Mint.  I decided to get the potion to pick up Golem and Familiar and then I wanted to get rid of my potion.  So then I had a turn that added up to enough to buy a mint, but I had a potion in my hand.  I thought it should be fine to put the potion "in play" even if I don't buy anything with it, but I wasn't quite sure.  My dad later played a terminal silver action and 4 coppers to buy a mint so he could trash all those coppers even though he only needed 3 of them.  In the rules it says you can put all treasures in play and buy anything of equal or lesser value, so I think this is fair play, but I just wanted to make sure.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
Re: Trashing potions on a mint buy
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:21:18 am »

Yes, you are correct. You can play as many treasures as you want, even if you don't intend to use the coin that they give you. Mint is a good reason to do that, such as in the situations you described.

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:34:13 am »

Thanks.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 04:53:27 am »

Yes, you are correct. You can play as many treasures as you want, even if you don't intend to use the coin that they give you. Mint is a good reason to do that, such as in the situations you described.
Another good reason is when you have only three Golds and want to buy a Province with that $9.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 09:19:18 am »

Just note that treasure cards are NOT like money that you use to buy cards. You don't spend specific treasure cards to buy cards. Rather, you play as many treasure cards as you want, which each produce a certain amount of money, just like playing some actions cards like Woodcutter does. Then you can use all the money you have generated to buy cards.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 20 queries.