Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Hunter - a bigger courtyard.  (Read 1599 times)

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
Hunter - a bigger courtyard.
« on: June 30, 2013, 06:09:01 pm »

Hunter 4$
+4 Cards
place a card on top of your deck
discard a card

Do your think this is powerfull enough at 4$? I think its at least as good as smithy, though not strictly better.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter - a bigger courtyard.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 07:22:17 pm »

I suspect that it's a bit more powerful than Smithy, or even Envoy, which might be a more interesting comparison. With Envoy, you lose the best card from a set of 5, while with this you lose your worst card from (if played with no other actions) 8 and delay the most superfluous of the remaining 7 - unless you've been greening really heavily, I'm pretty sure that from 8 cards you can select 6 to buy something decent and 1 that will be more useful next turn at lot of the time. Compare coin tokens, which by now I think we've decided are pretty darn powerful - the ability to move some of your spending power until next turn, thus evening out your cash flow, is amazingly good, and the large amount of draw on this card means that it doesn't slow you down as much as Courtyard does (and Courtyard doesn't really slow you down all that much). I think that you could probably price this at $5 and still find it's competitive.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 07:34:14 pm »
+1

I would consider this a very strong $5.

Consider Embassy.  Embassy is only a net hand size increase of 1 card.  If you play it from a hand of size 5, you end with a hand of size 6.  However, it is still a pretty strong card -- 15/61 in the 2013 $5 list.  And remember that Embassy grants opponents a free Silver when you buy it.  If it didn't do that, it may very well be ranked higher.

Now Hunter -- Hunter also gives a net hand size increase of 1.  It sees almost as much as Embassy -- 4 cards instead of 5.  And then instead of discarding 2, you only discard 1 and top deck the other 1.

Nominally, the topdeck is a penalty.  Practically, it is often a bonus.  Courtyard is a better BM enabler than Smithy.  With such large draw in Hunter, you will probably have more money than you need.  In that case, you can put back an extra Silver or Gold to improve your next hand.  Because of this, I expect Hunter would be much better than Embassy.

Note that it probably shouldn't cost $6 because of Hunting Grounds.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 07:35:30 pm by eHalcyon »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:35:27 pm »

This sounds way too good for $4.  I've often considered "+4 cards, Put a card from your hand on top of your deck" and think it's too good for $5.  Adding a discard penalty probably doesn't do much to weaken it.  Out of 8 cards, there's a good chance you're making more than $8, in which case you discard a green card and put back the best treasure that you can while still having $8 (or $6 early in the game).  If you choose 6 cards out of 8 you should almost always be able to hit $8, and top-decking one card is probably an advantage.  Compare with Embassy: Embassy draws one more card but nets the same hand size, gives the opponent a benefit (usually) on gain, and is still a very strong $5.

It might be weaker if it top-decked two cards, or discarded two cards, instead of top-decking one and discarding another.  I'm not sure about that though.  But as it is it has to be at least $5.

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 10:00:28 am »

ok I see your Points.

How about a more flexible card that is priced at 5$

Hunter 5$
+4 cards
choose one: discard 2 cards or
put 2 cards from you hand on top of your deck
I think this is about the power level of embassy because its a little weaker and does not have a penalty.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 02:00:57 pm »

I think it's probably stronger for Big Money than Embassy (penalty or not), because of being able to put spare money back, and cycling a little less while greening.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 02:06:37 pm »

The option still makes it stronger.  You can discard 2 dead cards or put back 2 good cards, depending on your draw.

Maybe this:

Hunter $5
+4 cards
Reveal 2 cards.  The player to your left chooses 1 that you put on top of your deck.  Discard the other one.

I think that +4 cards is still too strong for $4.  This version is not super strong for a $5, but I think it would be decent.  I also think it makes for an interesting choice.  You can still get some nice draws where you end up revealing 2 good superfluous cards and get 1 topdecked.  You also get draws where you reveal 2 bad cards and have to topdeck one (but hey, it would have been there anyway if you hadn't drawn it with Hunter).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.