Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31  All

Author Topic: WW's Power Rankings  (Read 235558 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: WW's Power Rankings
« Reply #700 on: September 20, 2013, 07:36:12 am »
+1

Quote from: WanderingWinder
39.   Sea Hag
Pretty low, you think. Well, it's one of the more ignorable cursers, I find. It does nothing for you. And trash one cad at a time would neutralize it

Well, trash one card at a time doesn't completely neutralize it of course.
The player with Sea Hag uses one card slot to dish out the Curses, while the player with the one-card-trasher needs 2 card slots (one for the Curse and one for the trasher) to deal with the Curses. Lookout is a bit different of course, since it uses one card slot to trash something and is pretty good defense against Sea Hag, but a $0 Trade Route, maybe not so much.

What's worse is that a hand of Trade Route-Curse-3 Coppers would yield $5 if the Trade Route was a Silver, which might be important.

So either use a decent trasher (Steward with its trash-2 would probably suffice) or skip the trasher altogether, I think Trade Route and Remodel don't cut it to battle Sea Hag.

I'm pretty sure he's not talking about just buying Trade Route and Remodel instead of Sea Hag... Clearly if your opponent is giving you Curses and you're just trashing them, you're not getting ahead. The point relates to your broader strategy. For instance, if there is Lookout or Upgrade or something, I know that I can skip Sea Hag in favor of Silver (or terminal Silver) to hit the 5s faster and get ahead on engine-building while the trashing can nearly cancel out the Sea Hag early on. Then, when I'm ahead in cycling ability due to the faster engine build, the trasher actually starts acting faster than the Sea Hag. If there's no engine to build, then the trashing isn't going to cut it, and you have to buy the Hag. But since Sea Hag BM is so slow, the standard for a "good enough" engine are pretty low.
Basically I am thinking upgrade/junk dealer/forager. But hermit/masquerade certainly fit, as do (often) ambassador, steward, chapel..... But it's important on these to not get swamped and try to be playing catchup, especially if they have a way to end the game.
Certainly something like trade route is not a very good remedy, because it has very little advantage over sea hag (both being terminal), and you have to get it to connect with he curse, whereas hag just always 'works', until curses run out.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #701 on: September 20, 2013, 09:04:38 am »

Basically I am thinking upgrade/junk dealer/forager. But hermit/masquerade certainly fit, as do (often) ambassador, steward, chapel..... But it's important on these to not get swamped and try to be playing catchup, especially if they have a way to end the game.
Certainly something like trade route is not a very good remedy, because it has very little advantage over sea hag (both being terminal), and you have to get it to connect with he curse, whereas hag just always 'works', until curses run out.
And Sea Hag gets you the curse faster than Trade Route gets rid of it, trashers that draw first/trash from your deck get rid of the curse as fast as Sea Hag gives it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: October 17, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »
+5

Alright, that was quite a long and interesting read. I originally wanted to comment on everything that I noticed, but that took way too long, so I decided not to do that. But these things I really wanted to say:

- Thanks WW for the effort you've put in those lists. It was very interesting, educating and entertaining. I disagree on many ranks, but especially that made it interesting as you're able to question yourself if a card is still that bad or good respectively.
- I already had planned a few things for future community rankings as you suggested that - under normal circumstances - would have been ready already. These incorporate a lot of things already suggested here, so I just want to let you know that I read them all.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 20, 2014, 06:36:22 am »
+6

New list posted in the OP (I had been thinking about it, then when Qvist posts his, I went ahead and did it - on his site, as you can tell from the Xs. Thanks, Qvist!)

The biggest things I want to mention are that my estimation of trashing, generally, has been going up and up and up, and junking going down - it's ignorable reasonably often! Cultist gets a bump though - it's extraordinarily powerful.

I may have some more thoughts on specific cards later (after I wake up more), but I haven't gotten them off the top of my head at the moment.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 20, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »
+1

This 3rd version of the list puts Wharf lower than I would have, but otherwise... wow. Villages moved up, trashers moved way up, Cultist at 3 and... is that Quarry in front of Sea Hag? I am absolutely giddy about that. Go Quarry! One of the most consistently underrated cards, imo.

I feel much more confident about my own list for 2014 now. Here's hoping for more exciting discussion in the future!

P.S. Rebuild at 16. That's quite a surprise. But not as much as Vault and Tactician in the bottom 100.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 05:26:31 pm by JacquesTheBard »

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: February 20, 2014, 07:47:21 pm »

I am extremely curious about the new position of JoaT! The top I mostly agree in general (disregarding small changes), although Fool's Gold and Chapel seem too high, so reading something about their positions would be interesting as well.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2114
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 20, 2014, 08:50:20 pm »
+1

If you'd like to get rid of the X's and have the alignment the same as the previous lists, here you go (courtesy of emacs):

Code: [Select]
1. Masquerade
2. Ambassador
3. Cultist
4. Chapel
5. Mountebank
6. Junk Dealer
7. Goons
8. King's Court
9. Upgrade
10. Jack of all Trades
11. Wharf
12. Steward
13. Counterfeit
14. Remake
15. Hermit
16. Rebuild
17. Margrave
18. Hunting Party
19. Tournament
20. Ironmonger
21. Forager
22. Governor
23. Fishing Village
24. Witch
25. Bazaar
26. Butcher
27. Horn of Plenty
28. Wandering Minstrel
29. Vineyard
30. Border Village
31. Stables
32. Peddler
33. Squire
34. Fool's Gold
35. Scrying Pool
36. Swindler
37. Monument
38. Menagerie
39. Knights
40. Minion
41. Torturer
42. Young Witch
43. Hamlet
44. Native Village
45. Grand Market
46. Fairgrounds
47. Marauder
48. Highway
49. Courtyard
50. Herald
51. Catacombs
52. Altar
53. Warehouse
54. Quarry
55. Council Room
56. Baker
57. Throne Room
58. Familiar
59. Soothsayer
60. Pillage
61. Plaza
62. Militia
63. Sea Hag
64. Ill-Gotten Gains
65. Stonemason
66. Smithy
67. Envoy
68. Haggler
69. Crossroads
70. Apothecary
71. Hunting Grounds
72. Smugglers
73. Candlestick Maker
74. Vagrant
75. Bandit Camp
76. Bridge
77. Watchtower
78. Moat
79. Apprentice
80. Conspirator
81. Bishop
82. Village
83. Urchin
84. Laboratory
85. Silk Road
86. Worker's Village
87. Gardens
88. Ironworks
89. Caravan
90. Journeyman
91. Spice Merchant
92. Black Market
93. Oracle
94. Fortress
95. Rabble
96. Duke
97. Cartographer
98. Horse Traders
99. Count
100. Scavenger
101. Possession
102. Ghost Ship
103. Forge
104. City
105. Festival
106. Market
107. Mining Village
108. Farming Village
109. Walled Village
110. Tunnel
111. Lighthouse
112. Inn
113. Tactician
114. Venture
115. Nobles
116. Cutpurse
117. Treasury
118. Hoard
119. Jester
120. Storeroom
121. Salvager
122. Masterpiece
123. Loan
124. Oasis
125. Baron
126. Embassy
127. Market Square
128. Procession
129. Workshop
130. Pawn
131. Cellar
132. Library
133. Fortune Teller
134. Vault
135. Farmland
136. Shanty Town
137. Band of Misfits
138. Poor House
139. Beggar
140. Wishing Well
141. Moneylender
142. Duchess
143. Doctor
144. Embargo
145. Develop
146. Merchant Guild
147. Mint
148. Herbalist
149. Woodcutter
150. Alchemist
151. Lookout
152. Merchant Ship
153. Noble Brigand
154. Harem
155. Scheme
156. Pearl Diver
157. Rats
158. Golem
159. Death Cart
160. Explorer
161. Saboteur
162. Graverobber
163. Mystic
164. Mandarin
165. Contraband
166. Secret Chamber
167. Chancellor
168. Island
169. Rogue
170. Remodel
171. Talisman
172. Advisor
173. Bank
174. Coppersmith
175. Spy
176. Counting House
177. Tribute
178. Taxman
179. Nomad Camp
180. Haven
181. Cache
182. Sage
183. Expand
184. Armory
185. Feodum
186. Trading Post
187. University
188. Outpost
189. Trader
190. Trade Route
191. Feast
192. Great Hall
193. Philosopher's Stone
194. Royal Seal
195. Treasure Map
196. Bureaucrat
197. Stash
198. Navigator
199. Thief
200. Mine
201. Harvest
202. Pirate Ship
203. Transmute
204. Adventurer
205. Scout
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 20, 2014, 09:39:22 pm »

I'm really surprised by Tactician's placement, but otherwise thing third list makes a lot of sense.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: February 21, 2014, 01:40:17 am »
+1

Love the new list. Thank you for putting Pirate Ship lower than Thief. You are a heroic truth teller.

One thing I found curious: Jack, better than Hermit? I really think Hermit's better than Jack. Hermit's trashing is better (same as Jack plus Discard deck). It's gaining is better (same as Jack plus more options because you can take Silver but could take an up to $3 action). Jack does the filtering and draw to X thing, but usually that's just drawing 1 card. Hermit, instead, turns into Madman, and is cheaper. I think the advantage is clearly Hermit, given all that.

And I think you're underestimating Rebuild a bit now.

Nice to see Ironmonger get some recognition. I love when I play with both Ironmonger and Caravan, and I see people go like exclusively for Caravans. They don't understand.

Cultist, yeah. Ironically enough, my original prediction when it was first revealed in the previews was that it would be stronger than Witch and Mountebank. Then I walked that prediction back because I was laughed at. Well, nobody is laughing now!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:42:47 pm by Robz888 »
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 21, 2014, 05:12:23 am »

I'm convinced that Feodum should be way higher than #185. Alt vp cards always need more time to be understood, and I think Feodum is particularly different from the others…

Otherwise I like the list. It's interesting. I don't necessarly agree but at least I can see the arguments. Excepting some cards : Margrave surprises me. So high, really ? Rebuild at #16 is also very surprising. Monument and lighthouse are very low, I think.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 21, 2014, 06:16:51 am »

I'm fine with Feodum being low.

Feodum is more often a consolation prize (falling $1 short of Duchy) than an actual goal.
An alt-VP card which focuses on treasure is counterproductive, because:
- Gaining treasure often conflicts with building an engine
- When you're gaining treasure you can often afford Provinces anyway

You need 21(!) Silvers for 7pt Feoda, to surpass the points you can get from Provinces.
But let's say you have 15 Silvers for 5pt Feoda, it's not that hard to buy Provinces if you have 15 Silvers in your deck and they're still worth more.

It would have been more fun if Feodum had cared about Coppers instead, since you usually want to get rid of Coppers and they're easy to get. That way, it could have provided more of an actual strategy in more cases than it does now where you want Trader and/or Masterpiece.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

RTT

• Minion
  • Respect: +707
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: February 21, 2014, 06:25:36 am »
+2

I'm fine with Feodum being low.

Feodum is more often a consolation prize (falling $1 short of Duchy) than an actual goal.
An alt-VP card which focuses on treasure is counterproductive, because:
- Gaining treasure often conflicts with building an engine
- When you're gaining treasure you can often afford Provinces anyway

You need 21(!) Silvers for 7pt Feoda, to surpass the points you can get from Provinces.
But let's say you have 15 Silvers for 5pt Feoda, it's not that hard to buy Provinces if you have 15 Silvers in your deck and they're still worth more.

It would have been more fun if Feodum had cared about Coppers instead, since you usually want to get rid of Coppers and they're easy to get. That way, it could have provided more of an actual strategy in more cases than it does now where you want Trader and/or Masterpiece.

feodum with copper counting would play a lot like Gardens and Donald mentions that somewhere i believe.

I think the strenght of building a feodum deck is that you can sneak 1-2 provinces at least and so denying them to your oponent. that is something you cant usually do with other Alt  vps costing 4 . (Gardens and Silk Road)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 06:27:21 am by RTT »

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: February 21, 2014, 07:06:40 am »

It seems to me like you are putting the focus rather on "how often"  the card is advantageous than on "how big" the advantage is.

Imho, the strength of a card is defined by the percentage of games I will lose if I never buy it.

According to this, let me pick three ratings which make me believe that you have another understanding of what "strength" means. Your List No.3 ranks

Quarry above Sea Hag,
Cartographer above Ghost Ship,
Junk Dealer above Goons.

You might be right that there are more games where Quarry, Cartographer and Junk Dealer are worth to be bought. But if you're concerned about how devastating the advantage can be, let me state it like this:

If I had to choose between

"never buying Quarry, Junk Dealer and Cartographer" or
"never buying Goons, Sea Hag and Ghost Ships",

I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Would you?

PS: Didn't mention Rebuild yet. Ranking it No. 16 looks waaay underrated to me.

PPS: Despite these things, I come to agree more and more with your updates. My personal Top 5 correspond to 80% with yours.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: February 21, 2014, 10:23:49 am »
+1

It seems to me like you are putting the focus rather on "how often"  the card is advantageous than on "how big" the advantage is.

Imho, the strength of a card is defined by the percentage of games I will lose if I never buy it.

According to this, let me pick three ratings which make me believe that you have another understanding of what "strength" means. Your List No.3 ranks

Quarry above Sea Hag,
Junk Dealer above Goons.

You might be right that there are more games where Quarry, Cartographer and Junk Dealer are worth to be bought. But if you're concerned about how devastating the advantage can be, let me state it like this:

If I had to choose between

I wouldn't hesitate for a second. Would you?

PS: Didn't mention Rebuild yet. Ranking it No. 16 looks waaay underrated to me.

PPS: Despite these things, I come to agree more and more with your updates. My personal Top 5 correspond to 80% with yours.

As timchen always (correctly) reminds us, discussions of card strength are a somewhat futile attempt to compress a multidimensional idea into a single number. Everyone weights the different aspects of card strength ("how often", "how impactful", "does it require precautionary play", etc.) differently. It's never been clear to me that there is a "best" way to weight the different aspects. WW is surely considering "how impactful", though maybe not enough to your taste.

But I'm not sure your specific examples really make your point. It's not clear to me which of:

will lead to a lower winning percentage overall. Certainly Junk Dealer is a huge card on many boards (it is BIG). Another thing which muddles the rankings is the psychological impact of the attack cards, attack cards hurt your deck and your soul. You certainly don't feel this with Quarry or Cartographer, but it doesn't mean they aren't big cards for some strategies (well I'm not really sold on Cartographer, but whatever).

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 21, 2014, 01:45:52 pm »

discussions of card strength are a somewhat futile attempt to compress a multidimensional idea into a single number.
It is obviously true, that "strength" can be understood in many different ways. But that doesn't make it futile to provide a definition, quite the contrary: The less a common sense exists, the more it is necessary to clarify what exactly one is talking about to prevent misunderstandings.
That does, of course, not at all mean that I declare my personal definition of strength to be the one and only objective version. What it is supposed to do, is to set up an objective departing point for interesting discussions about the same thing. And so:

But I'm not sure your specific examples really make your point. It's not clear to me which of:

will lead to a lower winning percentage overall.
That somewhat suprises me. It is mathematically correct that I am not sure about this, but in some degree, I am really convinced. Let me pick the comparison of the highest rated cards:

Certainly Junk Dealer is a huge card on many boards (it is BIG).
This far, you have my full agreement. I even wrote my very first article about Junk Dealer, as I felt it was crucially underrated on Qvist's Ranking. But really ...
bigger than GOONS ?!?
I can remember way more games where Goons was the one-and-only dominant card. And this not primarily because my attack hurt my soul but rather because of the insane amount of VP's one can achieve with multiple goons.

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 22, 2014, 07:17:05 am »

The thing with feodum is that everybody think of it as a alt-vp rush card. Like gardens or silk road, but I'm sure feodum plays a lot differently ! Yep, masterpiece + feodum is a kind of rush (but in fact it's more like an overpowered alt vp strategy that score so much that 3 pile ending doesn't matter that much), but for me feodum is rather a useful card for hybrid province strategies and silver gainer.

I may be wrong about some points, but at least I'm sure that feodum is still a card that is until now not enough analyzed.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 22, 2014, 09:23:06 am »
+1

Okay, re-refined the list (Jack was definitely too high, being the biggest instigator). Now some responses:
I am extremely curious about the new position of JoaT! The top I mostly agree in general (disregarding small changes), although Fool's Gold and Chapel seem too high, so reading something about their positions would be interesting as well.
Chapel is amazingly good. Fool's Gold is also really good either for Big Money, or for engines (where it is pretty nice as a payload - you get them all together, so it's a good source of non-terminal, non-draw-dead-able economy after you've gotten your engine up).

I'm convinced that Feodum should be way higher than #185. Alt vp cards always need more time to be understood, and I think Feodum is particularly different from the others…

Otherwise I like the list. It's interesting. I don't necessarly agree but at least I can see the arguments. Excepting some cards : Margrave surprises me. So high, really ? Rebuild at #16 is also very surprising. Monument and lighthouse are very low, I think.
Margrave is just very good - particularly the first one - combining a discard attack, a smithy, and a buy is super nice for your engine, also not horrible for BM.
Rebuild being low some people will talk about - it is VERY good. But it's really not unbeatable - if you get a strong engine OR good BM, you can definitely overtake it. And it doesn't work very well with basically anything. Also not the greatest with shelters, colony, vineyard, VP chips.

Feodum: Well this is some discussion. There are pretty good combos with Trader and Masterpiece, but these aren't even unbeatable (good engine can be fast enough for sure), and otherwise, if you're playing a normal BM, they're often worth 1. You can often get them to 2, but it's quite hard to get them higher, even with a lot of the silver-gainers like Bureaucrat, and besides Jack, you probably don't really want to be playing those anyway. So I don't think that Feoda for points is really a strategy that does much for you very often at all, which would mean you usually need a significant value from the trashing bit. But the problem here is, even if you can put this together with a trasher, there aren't all that many times you really want 3 silvers all that much. And it does power up other feoda, but then there are fewer of them to be powered up... it's really hard to get it to make a big impact. Sure, it's not just a super-terrible card by any means, but there just really aren't all that many cards fitting that description.

I'm doing both.

This is close to right, and both things above are important.

Quarry above Sea Hag,
Junk Dealer above Goons.
Yeah. Actually probably Sea Hag is good more often than quarry, but there are times where quarry is SUCH a big game... Sea Hag can be too, but there's so many ways to deal with it, it can really often be pretty dead (most any good trashing makes it worthless, or nearly so).
Cartographer, apart from combos, is a nice bit of grease, and can let you cycle to an important card or few early on (trasher or junker typically). Ghost Ship is quite nice at stopping Big Money, but... that's about it. There's lots of counters, but even apart from that, engines are typically already good, and this doesn't hurt them that much, while... only giving you 2 cards from a 5-cost, which isn't really as good as I'm looking for.
Junk Dealer over Goons is definitely the closest of these to me. Sure, Goons is REALLY good, but Junk Dealer is REALLY good too - basically I have it a spot higher because getting your engine running (or clearing out junk) is SO important. And Goons is the point machine Par Excellence, but it is a terminal that doesn't draw, and it's terminal, which limits it if you are limited on villages. The bigger issue, though, is that there are other finishers which work really well, too, and you can typically get something good even without goons - usually not AS good, but if you get your engine going a lot better, you can win anyway. But of course it's very very very close.

discussions of card strength are a somewhat futile attempt to compress a multidimensional idea into a single number.
It is obviously true, that "strength" can be understood in many different ways. But that doesn't make it futile to provide a definition, quite the contrary: The less a common sense exists, the more it is necessary to clarify what exactly one is talking about to prevent misunderstandings.
That does, of course, not at all mean that I declare my personal definition of strength to be the one and only objective version. What it is supposed to do, is to set up an objective departing point for interesting discussions about the same thing. And so:

will lead to a lower winning percentage overall.
That somewhat suprises me. It is mathematically correct that I am not sure about this, but in some degree, I am really convinced. Let me pick the comparison of the highest rated cards:

Certainly Junk Dealer is a huge card on many boards (it is BIG).
This far, you have my full agreement. I even wrote my very first article about Junk Dealer, as I felt it was crucially underrated on Qvist's Ranking. But really ...
bigger than GOONS ?!?
I can remember way more games where Goons was the one-and-only dominant card. And this not primarily because my attack hurt my soul but rather because of the insane amount of VP's one can achieve with multiple goons.

And this point: The insane amount of VPs - this is another thing that I think people can overrate. Sure, I might be able to score 300 points off of Goons, but this doesn't almost ever mean you really won crushingly. Well, typically it does, but not because you were able to play so many goons, more that your engine was miles ahead of whatever they can do. If I'm far ahead, in a goons game, it's basically because my engine is going better than yours. Goons gives you a payload, but that the payload can go huge just really doesn't matter THAT much terribly often - it's mostly that it gives you a lot of time against someone who is not building, who is going for green/BM and can't pressure piles on you. Well of course it's quite good anyway, but the insane amount of points is not what is winning you the game, it's the engine-building.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 10:05:05 am by WanderingWinder »

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 22, 2014, 09:55:32 am »

Doctor took a huge dive. What changed?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 22, 2014, 10:07:06 am »
+1

Doctor took a huge dive. What changed?
It's pretty unreliable, and it doesn't do much for you when you draw it with the engine already running - part of why trashing > junking is because you can clean up and stay clean, but this doesn't help you stay clean. It eventually becomes quite dead.
It's possible I am underrating here, particularly because I am not giving the overpay much credit, but it's not consistent enough for me.

Alexmf

• Steward
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 22, 2014, 01:22:48 pm »

Witch #23...wow. I feel it is much stronger than that. Even with decent trashing, it slows down your opponent while providing not too little of a benefit to yourself.

More generally, I'm also in fact not quite sure whether your statement "The biggest things I want to mention are that my estimation of trashing, generally, has been going up and up and up, and junking going down - it's ignorable reasonably often!" is even logically reasonable. That certainly sounds provocative, but really, isn't junking pretty much contrary to trashing in the very simple sense that if I give you a junk card and you trash it, everything is as it was before - so how can the value of trashing be rising while your estimation of junking drops? Yeah, there are other aspects to consider (like for example what happens when there is only trashing and no junking in the game), but I still see that as a conflict I'd appreciate you to elaborate on.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 22, 2014, 01:30:47 pm »
+3

Witch #23...wow. I feel it is much stronger than that. Even with decent trashing, it slows down your opponent while providing not too little of a benefit to yourself.

More generally, I'm also in fact not quite sure whether your statement "The biggest things I want to mention are that my estimation of trashing, generally, has been going up and up and up, and junking going down - it's ignorable reasonably often!" is even logically reasonable. That certainly sounds provocative, but really, isn't junking pretty much contrary to trashing in the very simple sense that if I give you a junk card and you trash it, everything is as it was before - so how can the value of trashing be rising while your estimation of junking drops? Yeah, there are other aspects to consider (like for example what happens when there is only trashing and no junking in the game), but I still see that as a conflict I'd appreciate you to elaborate on.

I'm sure WW has his own thoughts on this, but I would say trashing is important for more than just countering junking attacks, since you start the game with 10 often junk cards. If there is an engine to be played, trashing is almost ALWAYS very good to have, and sometimes trashing is necessary to make that engine viable. And in an engine where you have decent trashing anyway, you can often just shrug off junking attacks. Of course, this is an oversimplification and depends on how good the engine/trashing/junking all are, but I think it illustrates the point.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #721 on: February 22, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »

Plus Masquerade costs $3, while Witch costs $5.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 22, 2014, 01:43:41 pm »
+2

Rebuild being low some people will talk about - it is VERY good. But it's really not unbeatable - if you get a strong engine OR good BM, you can definitely overtake it.

I wonder to what extent this is actually true, and to what extent it's just that people have forgotten how to play Rebuild in the non-mirror.  I feel like I've seen a lot of players who continue to play the "grab as many Duchies as quickly as possible, then Rebuild into Provinces" plan even when their opponent is not going for Rebuild, and that's just terrible.  The whole point of Rebuild is that it quickly cuts down the total number of VP on the board and gives you a lead, so that it becomes impossible for the opponent to catch up.  If you go with the "normal" engine plan of delaying greening so that you can grab multiple green cards per turn later, there's a good chance there won't be enough green cards left for you to grab.  So I think there's a rock-paper-scissors thing going on: Rebuild beats (most) engines, engines beat good big money, good big money beats Rebuild.  Of course some great engines and possibly some power-combo decks will still beat everything, but I think a board where an engine is the optimal plan rather than Rebuild is rare.

Also, I've been wondering if Rebuild could actually be a good addition to some decks that aren't centered on it.  I actually don't think I've ever tried it, because it sounds bad (and I can imagine that it is bad in engines), but maybe the kind of strong BM deck that normally beats Rebuild would be better off picking up a Rebuild of its own?  Non-terminal +2 or 3 VP with some end-game control is not bad in a BM deck.

That's really not accurate though, since most of the trashers that are making it to the top of his list are those which trash more than one card at a time (while most junkers, Mountebank being a notable exception, only hand out one junk card at a time).  So you're not just making up for the junk they gave you, you're making up for it and still improving your deck.  Of course there's also the problem that most heavy trashers (Doctor being an exception) trash from your hand, so you have to consider whether that slows you down more than junking cards to be worthwhile.  Which is why I don't think it works to compare them the way you do; there's too many things to consider when making a general statement like "trashing is better than junking", I think you can really only determine that by experience.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 22, 2014, 01:47:06 pm »
+2

I'm sure WW has his own thoughts on this, but I would say trashing is important for more than just countering junking attacks, since you start the game with 10 often junk cards. If there is an engine to be played, trashing is almost ALWAYS very good to have, and sometimes trashing is necessary to make that engine viable. And in an engine where you have decent trashing anyway, you can often just shrug off junking attacks. Of course, this is an oversimplification and depends on how good the engine/trashing/junking all are, but I think it illustrates the point.

You covered the main points.

Junking is of course still quite powerful in general. But let's look at it this way: Trash a card vs throw a junk card. Each make one card difference to the deck, which you might say works out to about a wash (it actually isn't quite the same - trashing is very slightly better GENERALLY, but then you have to match with a totally junk card to trash, which flips it a little bit the other way - but it's fairly close). Of course, curses also have -1 VP. Ok fine. But now you add in that there are a limited number of curses, so that turns off eventually. That's big. That's really big, actually. Finally, you actually have to look at the cards themselves. For example, look at Junk Dealer vs Witch. If Junk vs trash is close to a wash, then you have Peddler vs Draw 2. Peddler is a lot better than draw 2 in general. And in general this follows through - cursing attacks have weaker bonuses in general than the comparative junking attacks. There are exceptions, of course, but this is generally true. Lastly, yes, you have to have things to trash, but A) this usually isn't a problem; b)it's usually not TOO big a problem to not play your trashers; c) it's not too difficult to come up with more trashable cards (any spare buys and coppers).

Holger

• Minion
  • Respect: +466
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 22, 2014, 02:37:40 pm »
+1

Rebuild being low some people will talk about - it is VERY good. But it's really not unbeatable - if you get a strong engine OR good BM, you can definitely overtake it.

I wonder to what extent this is actually true, and to what extent it's just that people have forgotten how to play Rebuild in the non-mirror.  I feel like I've seen a lot of players who continue to play the "grab as many Duchies as quickly as possible, then Rebuild into Provinces" plan even when their opponent is not going for Rebuild, and that's just terrible.  The whole point of Rebuild is that it quickly cuts down the total number of VP on the board and gives you a lead, so that it becomes impossible for the opponent to catch up.  If you go with the "normal" engine plan of delaying greening so that you can grab multiple green cards per turn later, there's a good chance there won't be enough green cards left for you to grab.  So I think there's a rock-paper-scissors thing going on: Rebuild beats (most) engines, engines beat good big money, good big money beats Rebuild.  Of course some great engines and possibly some power-combo decks will still beat everything, but I think a board where an engine is the optimal plan rather than Rebuild is rare.

Also, I've been wondering if Rebuild could actually be a good addition to some decks that aren't centered on it.  I actually don't think I've ever tried it, because it sounds bad (and I can imagine that it is bad in engines), but maybe the kind of strong BM deck that normally beats Rebuild would be better off picking up a Rebuild of its own?  Non-terminal +2 or 3 VP with some end-game control is not bad in a BM deck.

I actually doubt that "good" BM can beat Rebuild reasonably often, at least when playing without Colonies and Shelters - AFAIK the only halfway common BM-X strategy that beats pure Rebuild-BM (and is not beaten by Rebuild-X-BM) is Bank-Wharf, unless you count the combos Beggar-Gardens and Feodum-Masterpiece as BM.
(I don't know if there's simulation data on whether Cultist-BM beats Rebuild-BM, but I doubt it.)

Rebuild is a good addition e.g. to Witch-BM, which beats Rebuild-BM, but is beaten by "Witch-into-Rebuild"-BM. (However, this strategy is arguably still "centered" on Rebuild, since you buy more Rebuilds than Witches.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:22:50 pm by Holger »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31  All

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.