Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How would you open on this Guilds/Alchemy board  (Read 2307 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
How would you open on this Guilds/Alchemy board
« on: June 29, 2013, 01:44:22 am »

So, I played a game with the following kingdom and took a risk with the opening; it worked out, but I wonder whether others think it was a good idea or not:

Merchant Guild
Baker
Herald
Familiar
Philosopher's Stone
Masterpiece
University
Candlestick Maker
Transmute
Vineyard

...So obviously what you want to do here is go University/Vineyard. It seems like there are three reasonable openings on 4/3:

Potion/Potion
Potion/Silver
Potion / Candlestick Maker

Potion/Potion is the riskiest, obviously; it'd be nice to get two Universities on the second shuffle (or a University and a Familiar), but if the Potions collide you'll be sad. That's how I opened, and it worked out fine (i.e., the Potions didn't collide); but I'm wondering if people think one of the others is a better bet.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: How would you open on this Guilds/Alchemy board
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 01:45:40 am »

(And does a Masterpiece / Philosopher's Stone / +buy big-money strategy have a chance to compete? I can see it maybe emptying out the Provinces before the Vineyards can get built up enough.)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:28:35 am »

A non-vineyards strategy has about no chance of even coming close I think. As for openings, Potion/Silver seems terrible. The silver does really nothing for this kind of deck. I think Potion/Potion is actually a decent choice (especially for P2) since I think familiar isn't all that strong here. There's no real deck cycling  or trashing so by the time you take enough curses to really slow you down, you'll have a significant advantage where it matters. Well maybe getting one familiar first is the right move, but skipping them altogether seems like it could be reasonable. Candlestick maker is going to also be a backbone of this deck. You're going to want to just load up on those and potions and then pound the vineyards. Well, first you'll take a few universities, but in a mirror this is going to be a very tactical decision of when to get vineyards. Also, you'll end up storing some coin tokens along the way which may let you scoop a province or two.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 06:03:39 am »

I'd open Potion/Candlestick Maker, and save the coin token to buy a Familiar when I draw my Potion. Transmute is just not effective trashing, there's no other trashing, and the only draw is Herald chains (or Herald into Familiar), so those Curses should be important.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:51:32 pm »

(And does a Masterpiece / Philosopher's Stone / +buy big-money strategy have a chance to compete? I can see it maybe emptying out the Provinces before the Vineyards can get built up enough.)

If only there were Herbalist in this kingdom.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.