Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thought after a day on Goko  (Read 8835 times)

ednever

• Minion
  • Respect: +722
    • View Profile
Thought after a day on Goko
« on: June 28, 2013, 10:37:48 am »

I was part of the beta and said basically, "I will never use this, let alone pay money for it."

Now with Guilds out and my physical copy not yet delivered I thought I would give it a try.

It's definitely better, but still not a complete product imho.

Opinions:
1- I tried playing without buying, just to get a feel for it. A waste of time. I posted some thoughts while trying to do it in another thread. Just brutal
2- I purchased everything. $45 price is not unreasonable (I think that is lower than it was, no?)
3- I started ou just playing bots to get a feel for things. They aren't good, but they sure aren't bad. Good enough that you have to pay attention, but bad enough that you can always build an engine. Which is kind of fun
4- Then I started hosting games...
5- The lobby takes forever to load.
6- The games save your conditions, which is nice and fast
7- People join games quickly. That's nice. And it's relatively easy to check their stats. Knowing speed of play would be a lot better
8- The games are still pretty slow. Iso games were fast and easy. This makes every game feel like, 'an event'. Which means when a game sucks, it feels worse.Which is more like real life. Which is also why I tend to play designed games in real life, vs random ones. The time it takes means I'm more picky about playing bad ones
9- I've been slow rolled 100% of the time I've been dominating games so far.Things are fine when i'm losing, or when it's close, but when i'm running away with the game, people just seem to sit there and i have to wait them out. it's painful.

Also I like this new Advisor card a lot......

Ed

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Re: Thought after a day on Goko
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 10:39:49 am »

Great to have you back! You should get the extension, fyi.

Goko has a lot of problems, but no longer any crippling problems, and it's always getting better, and the new cards are so much fun! Dominion is Dominion.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +274
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:58:24 am »

I'm in ednever's boat: Trying out Goko after avoiding it since the beta. It definitely isn't horrible, but I also think it can be difficult to play a game if you aren't hosting. Is there anything easier than just sitting in a lobby waiting for someone to open a game and then join it and pray s/he doesn't boot you?

Can I unlock anything worthwhile from the campaign?

Why doesn't it work at my office (which to my knowledge doesn't block any sites)?

These questions and some other smaller ones are what hold me back from dishing out the $45...

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:13:14 am »

Somewhat irrelevant, but I think I am the only person on this forum who literally cannot afford Goko.

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:33:44 am »

Goko has a lot of problems, but no longer any crippling problems, and it's always getting better, and the new cards are so much fun! Dominion is Dominion.

Got it before I even started. I played once on a computer where I hadn't downloaded it yet and it was almost unplayable. I either had to pay a lot on attention and turn the animations on slow, or I just played blind most turns (al a two player solitaire...)

Too bad there's not a point counter. Especially with the full log available, the only difference is the hassle.

Ed

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:34:27 am »

I haven't spent a single cent on Goko. The trick is that you have to play an annoyingly large amount of Base only bot games to get a decent rating. If your rating is high enough, you can join other high rated games, which usually have all cards.

The issues with this are:
1. Base only games are very boring after a while
2. Maybe it's just me, but there's a lot fewer "4000+" games than before. It seems like there's a big divide between around 4500 and 3000 that doesn't have very many people.
3. You can't host. Well, you can, but not worth it.
4. Finding a game takes a lot longer when you're not hosting. You're competing with all the other high rated people who haven't bought the cards.
5. You absolutely have to maintain a good rating, which means that you have to be at least decently active (1-2 games a day, probably more) Otherwise your rating will decay, like it did on Iso.

It's definitely a hassle, but Dominion is Dominion...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 11:36:00 am »
+8

Somewhat irrelevant, but I think I am the only person on this forum who literally cannot afford Goko.

Given the presence of 13 year olds who can't legally have a job, a credit card, or a Paypal account, I think you're incorrect.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

StrongRhino

• Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: StrongRhino
  • Respect: +247
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 11:38:16 am »

Got it before I even started. I played once on a computer where I hadn't downloaded it yet and it was almost unplayable. I either had to pay a lot on attention and turn the animations on slow, or I just played blind most turns (al a two player solitaire...)

Too bad there's not a point counter. Especially with the full log available, the only difference is the hassle.

Ed
Oh, but there is. Type #vpon in the title or chat.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 11:41:58 am »
+1

Ed

Make sure you are using the actual extensions and not an old Greasemonkey script.  A "User Settings" button should be there under your avatar when you log in to Goko and you can turn on the point counter.  #vpon and #vpoff toggle it in the chat.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 11:57:07 am »
+1

I'm in ednever's boat: Trying out Goko after avoiding it since the beta. It definitely isn't horrible, but I also think it can be difficult to play a game if you aren't hosting. Is there anything easier than just sitting in a lobby waiting for someone to open a game and then join it and pray s/he doesn't boot you?

Can I unlock anything worthwhile from the campaign?

Why doesn't it work at my office (which to my knowledge doesn't block any sites)?

These questions and some other smaller ones are what hold me back from dishing out the $45...

Unlock: Governor
Office: No idea

Ed

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:47 am »
+2

I also just joined. I'm glad everyone's joining now. Though I moderately regret joining since now I'm sinking way too much time into it again... :)

8- The games are still pretty slow. Iso games were fast and easy. This makes every game feel like, 'an event'. Which means when a game sucks, it feels worse.Which is more like real life.
Do you have the animations set to "fast"? It seems to me like it doesn't actually take any longer than iso except for cards you have to drag-and-drop. But maybe it's also affected by opponent's animation speed since you have to wait for them to watch the animation before they finish their turn...

ednever

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:32:21 pm »

Slow for a few reasons I see so far:

1- starting and ending a game take a lot longer
2- i have the annimations on fast. Maybe I need to move them to the faster level,, but i'm afraid i will miss something
3- the dragging and stuff takes longer. I particularly don't like reordering the deck. Navigator both took forever AND was hard on my mind. Usualy when I put stuff on top of my deck I figure out: "This is what I want on top, ten this, then this, etc." But with Goko you have to do it in the reverse order - so "This is what I want as my fifth card, then my fourth card, ten my third card, etc."

I made a ton of  mistakes in that game doing it that way. Especiially without undo.

Ed

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 12:37:12 pm »
+1

3- the dragging and stuff takes longer. I particularly don't like reordering the deck. Navigator both took forever AND was hard on my mind. Usualy when I put stuff on top of my deck I figure out: "This is what I want on top, ten this, then this, etc." But with Goko you have to do it in the reverse order - so "This is what I want as my fifth card, then my fourth card, ten my third card, etc."

That messed me up a ton at first, but after a while you just get used to, "here's the thing I want to see last, here's the thing I want to see before that, here's the thing I want to see first, etc."
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 01:24:57 pm »

Given the presence of 13 year olds who can't legally have a job, a credit card, or a Paypal account, I think you're incorrect.

Uh, okay, should I amend that to "adult," then?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 01:35:54 pm »
+1

I doubt you "literally" can't afford it then. $45 is 1 day of work at minimum wage. You just don't think it's worth it compared to the other alternatives for your $45. If you work one holiday, or consume 10-15% less (or less expensive) food or carpool or take public transit or something like that for a month or 2, you can save $45. You just don't want to do that. That's a valid choice, but technically you can "literally" afford it.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 01:39:29 pm »

My parents (and soon to be student loans) pay for my transportation and food, and I work without pay at a research lab - or, at least, they haven't paid me yet. So no, I literally can't afford Goko. I can't even afford to go out and eat.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »
+1

I was scared off by Goko for the longest time from all the posts.  Finally took the plunge a couple months back and was pleasantly surprised.  I never cared for Iso so always avoided it.  With that, I have nothing to compare Goko to except the physical game.  There is a learning curve with some fiddly Goko things but after some "game mistakes" it doesn't take long to get in the groove.   $45 seems to be a fair price but I wish the promos were available for purchase.  I'd give Goko a B- at this point.

My parents (and soon to be student loans) pay for my transportation and food, and I work without pay at a research lab - or, at least, they haven't paid me yet. So no, I literally can't afford Goko. I can't even afford to go out and eat.
Been there.  He's right.  He can't afford it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 01:52:39 pm by Hockey Mask »
-The Compulsive Completist

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »

I'm 16, but I could afford it, I bought most of the expansions irl...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 02:59:26 pm »
+1

You can get a job as a tutor or TA or cutting grass or sell some of your stuff. If you have the time to potentially play on Goko, you have the ability to get the money needed to pay for it. It's pretty easy for an adult in the U.S. to come up with $45. Even homeless people can come up with $45 for crack. I'm not saying it's worth it, but I guarantee you it's "literally" possible.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 03:52:12 pm »
+12

I think this is one of those situations where being sympathetic is better than being technically correct.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 03:53:44 pm »

Make the next Fire Emblem 0% growths video and I'll send you $30.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 03:58:19 pm »
+3

When you are poor, living day to day, up to your ears in debt (where I have been) you can not "afford" to spend $45 on something frivolous.  I am guessing I could walk up to him today, hand him $45 and he still couldn't "afford" to pay for Goko.  He'd could, although, "afford" to buy dinner or toilet paper or a birthday card or socks...
-The Compulsive Completist

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2113
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 04:03:54 pm »

You can get a job as a tutor or TA or cutting grass or sell some of your stuff. If you have the time to potentially play on Goko, you have the ability to get the money needed to pay for it. It's pretty easy for an adult in the U.S. to come up with $45. Even homeless people can come up with $45 for crack. I'm not saying it's worth it, but I guarantee you it's "literally" possible.

Reminded me of The Departed...
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 04:04:23 pm »

I doubt you "literally" can't afford it then. $45 is 1 day of work at minimum wage.

I chuckled a little. Minimal daily wage here is 10$.  $45 a day is quite a lot, as well.

On a different topic, what turned me off a lot is after some games when I got to 4000+, 2 next games froze and than disconnected after 15 mins of freeze time. Ugh.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 04:10:06 pm »

Reminded me of The Departed...

Oh man, don't get me started on The Departed. How Martin Scorsese won four Oscars for making an inferior version of a fantastic Hong Kong movie, I will never know. If you haven't seen Infernal Affairs, I highly recommend it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.