Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Taxman + Ill-Gotten-Gains  (Read 10363 times)

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
Combo: Taxman + Ill-Gotten-Gains
« on: June 27, 2013, 07:19:55 pm »
+6

Just had this in a game. Not really an article, just a short summary.

Taxman comboes really well with IGG. Open Taxman/Silver and get a second Taxman with your next $4.
Then you can trash Coppers from your hand and put silvers on top of your deck. Your opponent has to discard a Copper which makes it unlikely that he'll hit $5. After you have a few Silvers, you buy IGGs. Later you can trash IGGs (or Silvers) and convert them into another IGG. In the best case you can deal out 2 Curses in one turn in that way. When the IGGs are gone, trash them for Golds, so that you might even be able to get a Province in the next hand.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Taxman + Ill-Gotten-Gains
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 07:24:12 pm »
+2

Neat.

So far I'm not finding Taxman to be a very good card, so it's nice to find a situation where it can shine.

I'm fine with Taxman not being very good, by the way, since so many of the other Guilds cards are quite strong. It helps balance the set out.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:03 pm »
+7

This combo is thematic!

No offense to any taxmen out there.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 07:30:41 pm »

Like a cutpurse it can be a devil in multiplayer games. If you're last player you lose all your copper in the early game, lose all your silver in the mid game, and never get to the safety of gold.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:09 pm »
+2

Like a cutpurse it can be a devil in multiplayer games. If you're last player you lose all your copper in the early game, lose all your silver in the mid game, and never get to the safety of gold.

Unlike Cutpurse, Taxman doesn't hit you unless you have at least 5 cards in your hand.

EDIT: Also, even Gold is not completely safe. Once or twice, I have used Taxman on Gold to move it to my next turn.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:13:01 am by LastFootnote »

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 01:09:48 am »

EDIT: Also, even Gold is not completely safe. Once or twice, I have used Taxman on Gold to move it to my next turn.

Cool! After reading your first sentence, I fully expected you to mention the obvious Platinum.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 01:22:57 am »

Sounds more like a nombo to me. When you play Taxman, you cost them $1 on their next turn, but cost yourself $2 this turn compared to buying some terminal silver with your $4 buy. You kind of get a little back from having the Silver next turn, but it's more of a long-term card, useful for when you want to have less Coppers and more Silvers. IGG, on the other hand, is not a long-term card. You want to get them asap, and Taxman doesn't help.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 05:32:56 am »

So Guilds has two cursers, eh?
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 05:49:29 am »
+2

So Guilds has two cursers, eh?
No, man, 3, Stonemason!
Play Stonemason, trash Gold, get 2 IGGs!

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 06:20:17 am »

Sounds more like a nombo to me. When you play Taxman, you cost them $1 on their next turn, but cost yourself $2 this turn compared to buying some terminal silver with your $4 buy. You kind of get a little back from having the Silver next turn, but it's more of a long-term card, useful for when you want to have less Coppers and more Silvers. IGG, on the other hand, is not a long-term card. You want to get them asap, and Taxman doesn't help.

Hm, I will try it out a little more, but I still think it's worth it. Denying early $5s is really important on IGG boards. Cutpurse can be also really good with IGG. And later trashing IGGs or Silvers for IGGs is huge though because you can deny your opponent $2. Of course it's unreliable because you're not guaranteed to hit, but if he hasn't a Silver or IGG in hand, he probably hasn't enough for a IGG anyway.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 11:28:39 am »

Hm, I will try it out a little more, but I still think it's worth it. Denying early $5s is really important on IGG boards. Cutpurse can be also really good with IGG. And later trashing IGGs or Silvers for IGGs is huge though because you can deny your opponent $2. Of course it's unreliable because you're not guaranteed to hit, but if he hasn't a Silver or IGG in hand, he probably hasn't enough for a IGG anyway.

But Taxman denies yourself $5 by not giving you any money! Cutpurse is really good because it gives you $2 and them -$1. Taxman gives you $0 and them -$1. So sure you might deny them hitting $5, but you also likely denied it from yourself. It's possible that you're right though if the Taxmen play somewhat of a Sea Hag role just slowing the entire game down so no one can get IGGs until later when you can get them via Taxmen...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:21 am »

But Taxman denies yourself $5 by not giving you any money! Cutpurse is really good because it gives you $2 and them -$1. Taxman gives you $0 and them -$1. So sure you might deny them hitting $5, but you also likely denied it from yourself. It's possible that you're right though if the Taxmen play somewhat of a Sea Hag role just slowing the entire game down so no one can get IGGs until later when you can get them via Taxmen...

Correction: Taxman gives both you and your opponent –$1 (when you trash Copper), but it does topdeck a Silver for you, making it much more likely that you'll hit $5 on your next turn.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 05:31:14 pm »

Correction: Taxman gives both you and your opponent –$1 (when you trash Copper), but it does topdeck a Silver for you, making it much more likely that you'll hit $5 on your next turn.

But the Taxman makes your current turn worse than your opponent's, as it's a dead card that could have been a Silver.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:54 pm »

I think the point on gaining IGG with Taxman makes it worth it, although opening with it seems that it could be dangerous. But trashing Silver for IGG and Copper for Silver seems like it could be fast enough. This seems like a good thing to simulate.

Just a Rube

• Golem
  • Respect: +385
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:39:59 pm »

How does the delaying shuffling play into things? In an IGG rush, your deck is generally not getting much better each turn (e.g. you buy an IGG and your opponent does likewise to give you a curse), so delaying the reshuffle is probably a net wash?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 05:45:47 am »

If you Taxman an IGG (or a Silver) into another IGG, your deck quality is pretty much strictly worsening while you absorb Curses.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 09:30:22 am »

If you Taxman an IGG (or a Silver) into another IGG, your deck quality is pretty much strictly worsening while you absorb Curses.

You probably buy some stuff with your other 3 cards, probably another IGG once in a while, or at least a new Silver.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 11:18:14 am »

It's a cursing game, and you just used the best two cards in your hand to give out a Curse. If Sea Hag has to topdeck a Silver from your hand when you play it, are you really going to have $3+ left? Any time you can do that, you could have just bought the IGG, and have one more Silver/IGG in your deck, an above average card for sure.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:23:12 am by Warfreak2 »

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 11:24:59 am »

It's a cursing game, and you just used the best two cards in your hand to give out a Curse.

But your opponent has just discarded a good card too (probably) and you topdecked an IGG.

I can see all your concerns and I'm looking forward to play some Taxman/IGG mirror matches, especially if I go for it and my opponent doesn't.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 11:49:09 am »
+6

I can see all your concerns and I'm looking forward to play some Taxman/IGG mirror matches, especially if I go for it and my opponent doesn't.

This is going to be difficult.

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 12:08:56 pm »

This is going to be difficult.

Yeah.  ;D

The order of the words was wrong. What I wanted to say was: I'm looking forward to play some Taxman/IGG mirror matches, especially if I go for it Taxman and my opponent doesn't.

yed

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: yed
  • Respect: +571
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 09:19:34 pm »
+2

If Taxman+Silver collide in turn 3/4 it can be prety bad for IGG only player.
http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130629/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1372555018146.txt

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 09:29:26 pm »
+2

http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20130629/log.51102b6ee4b06719e45eef9d.1372555018146.txt

Worth noting that this was unranked, and yed purposefully ignored Taxman to see how it compared. Colliding is good for me; discarding yed's Silver is even more so.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Qvist

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 09:54:19 pm »

Thanks for this test.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 01:21:52 am »
+1

Worth noting that this was unranked, and yed purposefully ignored Taxman to see how it compared. Colliding is good for me; discarding yed's Silver is even more so.

It's worth noting that Silver/Silver opening increases your chance of getting hit by this. Against an opening with only 1 Silver, this is like a 15% occurrence, since you need to collide with your Silver and theirs.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 20 queries.