Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Scheme + Conspirator  (Read 11618 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Combo: Scheme + Conspirator
« on: October 25, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »

Scheme seems like the perfect card to activate conspirators.  It will always be there when you need it, if you want it to be.

Activated conspirators are almost grand markets.

Has anyone tried this combo?  I like that the card names actually imply some synergy, unlike say, festival/library.

Battlestar Dilbert

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Combo: Scheme + Conspirator
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 03:35:44 pm »

This is my first post as Dominion Strategy Forum member! After playing with this combo on isotropic today and not finding any thread about it already, I decided to make an account.

The strategy is simple: buy two Schemes and as many Conspirators as you want. Always top-deck your two Schemes and your Conspirators will permanently be changed to +2 coin +1 card +1 action. In the game I just played I also picked up a Trade Route to occasionally give me an extra buy and to get rid of my Coppers and Estates.

I'll have a log of the game tomorrow once councilroom updates. My opponent wasn't very good, but I think the strength of the combo still stands.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
Re: Scheming conspirators?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 03:38:04 pm »

I guess the downside is just "you have to spend two buys buying cards that literally do nothing for you other than make your Conspirators work."

Seems like it would be strong but not spectacular.  Compare to buying cards instead that are less frequently there but actually do things other than make Conspirators work -- worse average turns, better spike turns.

I feel like the lack of +buy on Conspirators is actually a surprisingly big negative compared to GMs.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
Re: Scheming conspirators?
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »

I feel like the lack of +buy on Conspirators is actually a surprisingly big negative compared to GMs.

It definitely is.  I love Conspirator, but a lack of +Buy will make me think twice about trying to chain them too hard.  However, if I can slip in a Festival, Worker's Village, Hamlet, Market, or Grand Market (the last easily obtained with a Conspirator deck), then that's my play.  It helps that those also help activate Conspirators in the first place.

Haven't tried Scheme + Conspirator, but I'm looking forward to it.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Scheme + Conspirator
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

Welcome to the forum.

I think this combo has lots of potential of being great.

Unfortunately, it appears you were just a little bit slow in getting this out as another thread of the same topic popped up almost simultaneously. I'd recommend going over there to post your game once it comes up and join in the discussion.
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=865.0;topicseen

Editor's note:  Threads now merged
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:30:57 pm by rrenaud »

Battlestar Dilbert

• Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:24:18 pm »

Thanks! I think I searched for threads with "Scheme" in the title and missed that one as a result.

ImperialStout

• Swindler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:38 pm »

Ergo, Scheme/Peddler for much of the same reason, again contingent on another card providing +buys.  Also keeps the thematic edge, since don't peddlers all have to be a little scheming.  Oh Donald, you clever, clever man.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 01:42:33 am »

I had a board with Conspirator+Scheme some days ago. There were some other cards that should help, like Market and Forge.  I lost, but I think it was mainly my fault. First, of course you still need some trashing for the Conspirators, and delaying Forge for (I think) Consp+Market was probably not the best move I made this day. Espescially as the Forge usually already comes in late. Second, I remember me buying too many Markets. Think one should be enough to get the buy.

So in the end it worked quite well, but not before the battle was more than over, against some Governor-supported thing, but as mentioned, I think that was mainly my fault. I'm also not sure if at the beginning I was fully aware how to use the schemes correctly.

Copernicus

• Baron
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:04 am »

My experience with solitaire Conspirator/Scheme games is that it's a lot like Conspirator/Village games.  The Scheme is an improved Village (since most Conspirator decks will need to buy two of them anyways) but the trashing is still a huge requirement.  +Buy is also very useful just because a fully working Conspirator deck will be generating some spare money a lot of the time.  The deck doesn't work well with card draw as a boost to deal with poor trashing. 

Note: I just tried Conspirator/Scheme/Remake -- it's really good.  My test games of Conspirator/Scheme/Lookout or Conspirator/Scheme/Salvager were average -- it was an acceptable combo, but not something that I'd recognize as being board dominant.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2011, 09:24:20 am »

Just had this game. Schemes + Conspirators + Upgrades for trashing + Woodcutters for Buys. We both went for the combo to some extent (although I think I saw it earlier and he caught on), and you can't argue with the results: 4 Colonies each plus some extra in 16 turns. Also, I probably bought more Schemes than were necessary and he could have done with some more Conspirators. But it worked well.

Also, a note on Forge. I think Scheme + Forge can be pretty solid (actually I think I've already said this elsewhere). As DStu mentioned, Forge usually comes quite late, and I've found some Schemes to be an excellent way of Forging a huge chunk of your deck.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 22 queries.