Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Masterpiece/Feodum  (Read 6708 times)

dan11295

• Navigator
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
Combo: Masterpiece/Feodum
« on: June 26, 2013, 06:15:51 pm »

I recognize that Guilds is still very new but this combo seems extremely strong, Saw it in two of WanderingWinder's videos and both times it was dominating. Seems very resistant to junking attacks due to the Silver flooding. Would think discard attacks might be a bit better but saw WW tried opening Militia and it didn't pan out well. I gather his opponent could still keep 3 Silvers in hand (the minimum I think you want to spend for Masterpiece overpay once you have good money in your deck.) Or just use those turns to buy Feoda instead.

Got me thinking if there was anything else on the board that you make you not go for this? Does it beat King's Court/Bridge?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 07:35:25 pm by dan11295 »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Masterpiece/Feodum
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:59 pm »

I wonder if Trader strengthens or weakens this synergy.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:52:21 pm »

I played one game against the bots with squire, trading post, masterpiece, and foedums. It was quite funny and I did buy a 10 coin masterpiece and I did finish the game with 10 vp foedums.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 07:53:46 pm »

I wonder if Trader strengthens or weakens this synergy.
Probably strengthens. Buy masterpice, get a stack of silvers, on a later turn trader masterpiece and get 3 silvers.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:55:03 pm »

Probably won't beat KC-Bridge, which can simply steal most of the feoda from the masterpiece player, likely forcing them to play big money on a board with KC and Bridge.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:25 pm »
+1

Probably won't beat KC-Bridge, which can simply steal most of the feoda from the masterpiece player, likely forcing them to play big money on a board with KC and Bridge.
Depends on the support of KC-Bridge. If there's no support: good luck colliding 2 KCs and 3 Bridges.

About the combo Feodum/Masterpiece, how do you play it? I haven't played a game featuring that combo yet, so please mention the basics. How do you open? When do you buy silver, when feodum, when masterpiece? How do these things change if your opponent mirrors or does not mirror?

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 08:50:36 pm »
+1

Yeah, the game-ending hand isn't likely without support, but if you just KC a single Bridge, you can buy 3 Feodums and a Silver right there with Estates forming the rest of your hand.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 12:20:31 am »

Depends on the support of KC-Bridge. If there's no support: good luck colliding 2 KCs and 3 Bridges.

About the combo Feodum/Masterpiece, how do you play it? I haven't played a game featuring that combo yet, so please mention the basics. How do you open? When do you buy silver, when feodum, when masterpiece? How do these things change if your opponent mirrors or does not mirror?

I think you open Silver/Support, where support is either +Buy or terminal draw; if no good support is available at 3/4, Silver/Silver--you're going to flood your deck with Silver anyway.  I would probably also open MP on $5, and MP on $5 is probably an OK buy during the second shuffle as well.

In a non-mirror I think you want to Silver-flood early, especially if there is +Buy available, but probably go after Feodum with $4 or $5 after the second T4.  The mirror feels like it will be tricky:  If you win the Feodum split 6/2 but your opponent wins the Silver split 30/10, your opponent has more points from Feodums and is going to be able to buy Provinces more readily!  I think winning the Silver split may actually be more important.  Breakpoints:

Feodum 4/4 goes to whoever gets the 21st Silver
Feodum 5/3 requires the split winner to get 15 Silvers
Fedoum 6/2 requires the split winner to get 11 Silvers
Feodum 7/1 requires the split winner to get 6 Silvers

But the thing is, flooding with Silver makes it easier to get Silver even faster.  So I'm not certain here...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 06:44:21 am »
+1

With Masterpiece, Feodum and Trader on the board, I would ignore Trader; I'd rather buy a more expensive Masterpiece, than reduce my handsize by two (Trader, and whatever it trashes).

I do think Masterpiece makes the Feodum split a bit less important, you can lose it 3/5, but that means you spent more turns buying Masterpieces, and you are also now in a better position to buy more expensive Masterpieces. Getting more Silvers seems to be more important, because unlike Trader/Feodum, Masterpiece creates a positive feedback loop where having more Silvers now means you can get more Silvers later.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 06:47:36 am by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:45:36 am »
+1

Remember that you can Trader a Feodum for 7 Silver.  Masterpiece will at most net 7 if a hand is all Silver. The Trader player can also buy Masterpiece when Trader is not in hand. I think I've actually played this game before, I will look later to see if I can find it. I remember using both Masterpiece and Trader to great success.

Edit:  Corrected number for Feodum
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:00:13 pm by shark_bait »
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:11:49 am »

Tradering a Feodum gets you 7 Silvers, I presume you mean and then buying a Silver. But then 8 Silvers and -1 Feodum is worse for your score than 7 Silvers. This is clearly a simulator question, but I expect pure Masterpiece to do better.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 11:13:24 am by Warfreak2 »
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:52:44 pm »

I played a three=player game IRL earlier today where there was Trader, Feodum, and Masterpiece on the board. It would also be interesting to note that Butcher was on this board (Butcher proved useful for turning Masterpieces into Feoda). Naturally, the best strategy on this board was to go all Masterpiece/Trader/Feodum and burninate everyone with all my Silvers I was going to get. For some reason I got an Altar, but there just weren't that many useful fives out there, so I fed it to my Trader for six Silvers, which was fun. I also had at least three or four turns where I had massive 6 or 7 Silver gains on overpay for Masterpiece. By the end of the game, I had exactly 24 Silvers, making my Feoda worth 8 points each. I think I had like 6 Feoda and one Province or something like that by the time I was able to end the game on piles, before my opponents could regularly start hitting $8 every turn for a Province. Man I love Feodum
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:42:24 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

prom_vrt

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +56
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 11:49:04 am »

I've tried this once. The board had all Trader, Feodum and Masterpiece.

I overpayed Masterpiece for around 8 coins, gaining 8 silvers. My opponent seemed not to realize this combo and just only went for standard Trader/Feodum. That's perhaps the only time I played Masterpiece for many silvers. (I almost always ignore this card because the silvers gained clog up the engine.)

On that board Masterpiece was the bane card and I was very lucky revealed it to Young Witch twice among flood of silvers haha!!!

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 03:47:34 pm »

What I love doing in Goons games where there's Feodum (and not necessarily any Feodum enablers) is getting up  to $7 after playing a Goons and buying Feodum/Silver and maybe getting a Province if I hit $8. It's nice because on the Feodum/Silver buys it a) Nets me 2 VP + however many VP my Feoda are worth, and b) helps pile out at least one pile. It can also be a nice strategy particularly in City games where everyone is trying to run Cities out so you only really have to pick 2 piles to try and pile out on. I think Feodum might be my favorite alt-VP card in the entire game.
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »
+4

What I love doing in Goons games where there's Feodum (and not necessarily any Feodum enablers) is getting up  to $7 after playing a Goons and buying Feodum/Silver and maybe getting a Province if I hit $8.

I like it when this happens too because it means that my opponent will stall and lose.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 03:56:42 pm »

What I love doing in Goons games where there's Feodum (and not necessarily any Feodum enablers) is getting up  to $7 after playing a Goons and buying Feodum/Silver and maybe getting a Province if I hit $8.

I like it when this happens too because it means that my opponent will stall and lose.

There's a chance that there are 0 villages on the board, and..... something?

meandering mercury

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 10:37:38 am »
+1

There's a chance that there are 0 villages on the board, and..... something?

It can also be a nice strategy particularly in City games where everyone is trying to run Cities out so you only really have to pick 2 piles to try and pile out on. I think Feodum might be my favorite alt-VP card in the entire game.

If there are Cities AND Goons out, I would normally look to giant mega-turn potential.

On the other hand, if "everyone" refers to 3 other players in a 4p game and everyone else is rushing Cities/Goons, going for Feodum/Silver once Cities and Goons are both out (which will happen pretty quickly if players are competent) at 7$ might not be such a terrible idea.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.