Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: IGG and coopersmith  (Read 4153 times)

pulpix

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
IGG and coopersmith
« on: October 24, 2011, 03:28:28 pm »

Well i was wondering if this is a viable combo in a non trash game. The tactic is to spam IGG and get some coopersmith as soon as ur deck gets bigger. Since ur oponent will get prob IGG too, the game will end so fast. The idea is to end the game by taking duchys. I think ur buying power could be good in this situacion, of course the other cards on the board can change the idea of the strategy.

(sorry about my crapy english :D)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: IGG and coopersmith
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »

I see potential for IGG to conflict with the Coppersmith. Sure, you'll plump up your deck with Coppers, but each IGG (and each Curse) increases the chance that Coppersmith will be a dead card.

I see what you mean that two piles will run out pretty quickly. So, focusing on winning the Duchy race is a good tactic. I'm not sure that Coppersmith will do it.

When you draw Coppersmith, you'll have some possible scenarios:
* You have 0 Copper in hand, in which case this is a dead card.
* You have 1 Copper in hand, in which case, Coppersmith nets you +$1.
* You have 2 Coppers in hand, in which case, Coppersmith nets you +$2.
* You have 3+ Coppers in hand, in which case, Coppersmith nets you at least +$3.

In all those cases, you could have easily replaced Coppersmith with a Silver. In fact, for the first two bullets, you are actually better off having a Silver. For the third bullet, you accomplished exactly the same thing. For the fourth bullet, you would not be hurting if you had a Silver, because then you'd have $5 instead of $6, which is enough for a Duchy.

In theory, the Coppersmith might help you get up to a Province, but with IGGs and Curses flooding your deck, that's not very likely.

A man has no signature

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:19:27 pm »

In theory, the Coppersmith might help you get up to a Province, but with IGGs and Curses flooding your deck, that's not very likely.

Having a deck flooded with IGGs doesn't conflict with Coppersmith, since IGG gets you more coppers to play on the same turn for the Coppersmith bonus.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »

Having a deck flooded with IGGs doesn't conflict with Coppersmith, since IGG gets you more coppers to play on the same turn for the Coppersmith bonus.
If the coppers don't run out :)

pulpix

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 04:21:35 am »

Well in fact i think it's really dificult that coopers run out, at least, in a 2 man game. The good part of the strategy is that when u get an IGG in ur hand with a coopersmith its like a gold ( 1+2). I have no idea about how simulators are and how simulators work but, could be possible to create a good simulator in this strategy and show the real efectiveness?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 04:31:11 am »

The problem is that you're increasing your deck size, so you'll be able to play Coppersmith less than usual, maybe no more than 4 times total.

A more viable strategy may be a Gardens rush without any supporting action cards, just IGG (-> Curses) and Gardens as the 3rd pile.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 04:58:46 am »

(...)
* You have 3+ Coppers in hand, in which case, Coppersmith nets you at least +$3.
(...)
For the fourth bullet, you would not be hurting if you had a Silver, because then you'd have $5 instead of $6, which is enough for a Duchy.
There's a + sign behind the number 3, which makes all the difference.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 05:15:45 am »

(...)
(...)
For the fourth bullet, you would not be hurting if you had a Silver, because then you'd have $5 instead of $6, which is enough for a Duchy.
There's a + sign behind the number 3, which makes all the difference.

But the strategy as stated is to run out the IGG/Curses and then spam Duchies. Kuildeous was correctly making the point that Coppersmith helps you no more than Silver does at getting to Duchies and in some cases it stops you getting to $5 where Silver would have made it. It may be the case that Coppersmith occasionally gets you to $8 for a Province, but that's not the plan so it doesn't really matter.

pulpix

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 05:52:01 am »

Well of course the strategy is to finish the game by emptying the duchies but if u can get a province that wouldnt be too bad at all and you can still picking duchies. What i mean is that at the begining of the green race u probably can take a province and later on you cant. The chances of drawing a coopersmith are getting lower as soon as the deck gets bigger but if u dont hit 5 u can allways pick another coopersmith in fact i think that u can play with even 4 on ur deck.

(Again, sorry about the crappy english ^^)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 07:02:55 am »

The simulator says the coppersmith is worse. If you could buy some drawing cards instead of silver then perhaps it would perform, otherwise it seems to have too many poor draws and become worse than silver.

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:57 am »

Here are the simulator's play rules for IGG:

http://dominionsimulator.wordpress.com/play-rules/hinterlands/ill-gotten-gains/

These are certainly open for discussion/improvement.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 07:34:35 am »

Creating good play rules for the hinterlands cards will keep you busy that's for sure, probably right up until the next expansion. Farmland as a supply card affecting card play: I'm guessing that's new territory for the simulator?

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 07:51:13 am »

Creating good play rules for the hinterlands cards will keep you busy that's for sure, probably right up until the next expansion. Farmland as a supply card affecting card play: I'm guessing that's new territory for the simulator?
Farmland is ugly. I haven't put much work into it yet, because it's a card that will never be played well by the simulator. For now it will remodel itself into a Province, but that's pretty much all it's capable of (and also remodeling Provinces into oblivion like I did yesterday thinking I would just get another Province :) )
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.