Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Crossroads  (Read 37184 times)

greatexpectations

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1067
    • View Profile
Re: Crossroads
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 10:41:17 am »
+1

crossroads goes quite well with wharf, i think.  ive seen this combo a few times already, and it makes for some real quick games.  it gives you the actions you need to get off a few wharves, and you will usually start with a few green cards in hand to help with your draw.  plus, they are easy to pick up with the plus buy from the wharf.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-185421-269ffb3f.html - i went for gardens, figuring i could end on piles without the green slowing me down
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-182444-84822225.html - i lost, and his masquerade and baron are the reason why
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-144625-6e098f99.html - i think the silver/silver open (instead of 5/2) actually helped me by getting me better buying power early.
momomoto: ...I looked at the tableau and went "Mountebank? That's for jerks."
rrenaud: Jerks win.

grobstein

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2011, 02:38:12 pm »
+1

Ditto Council Room. An earlier post noted that Crossroads is strong after the Council Room (or whatever) has hit, but of course lots of cards are strong in this position. The advantage of the Crossroads is that you can play both before and after the Council Room, first as source of +Actions and then as terminal +Cards. You may not need any additional source of +Actions. Since the combo has only two distinct cards, you always have a good chance of drawing everything you need.

snappy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 11:41:11 am »

crossroads goes quite well with wharf, i think.  ive seen this combo a few times already, and it makes for some real quick games.  it gives you the actions you need to get off a few wharves, and you will usually start with a few green cards in hand to help with your draw.  plus, they are easy to pick up with the plus buy from the wharf.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-185421-269ffb3f.html - i went for gardens, figuring i could end on piles without the green slowing me down
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-182444-84822225.html - i lost, and his masquerade and baron are the reason why
http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20111017-144625-6e098f99.html - i think the silver/silver open (instead of 5/2) actually helped me by getting me better buying power early.

tactician, too. i've gotten crossroads to work pretty well with double tactician and baron. starting the turn with 10 cards, you can pretty easily draw your whole deck with a couple crossroads and then use the barons for money.

Dux

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 01:26:39 pm »

Original article is great, and I think a point that was made there and that I stand behind strongly but which was glossed over by a lot of replies is the potential of Crossroads when Harem is around. Some of the examples posted showed that it is weak when the extra green card was a Great Hall and yeah, I think it might be a weak card in that scenario. But when Harem or even Nobles are in the piles, Crossroads is a lot more than just a late game stocking stuffer. I've played some of my most obscene games with Harem-Crossroads. Baron makes it all the better. If you have some sort of +buy, because it takes a little while to get rolling, the engine is unbelievable.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 07:26:35 am »

I think Crossroads + Scout is a trap and somewhat convoluted: http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/23/game-20120123-042130-858479e3.html

In this game my opponent would have been better off buying or Workshopping a Copper/Silver at some point. Somehow he didn't notice how, even with his 30+ card hand, he couldn't buy a Province. I kept it simple with Bureaucrat/Lab/Gold and bought an Expand hoping to trash a Lab at some point.

To be honest, my opponent played far from optimal, but even then I doubt whether it's that good; especially with 1 Buy and possibly horrible turns.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 10:13:38 am »
+5

Yes, this is big-time thread necro. But I've recently come up with a big appreciation for this card, and while this article remains great, there are some extra points I would like to get in here.

First thing I want to point out is that those supposedly rare cases where it is good with the discard-for-benefit stuff aren't as rare as I think you think. Well, I don't know, maybe they are really rare, but any time you have a decent engine, +buy available, and need or want a BIG source of money, you can make secret chamber work. I have more than one time used this trick, which people will sometimes talk about with scrying pool decks, where you discard a bunch of cards and then draw them all back.
The card is, as you point out here, terrible for big money. It can really shine, though, if you have an engine that will need to buy a good number of green cards for decent stretches of the game. Think an engine that needs silk road or gardens or dukes to win, for example. This card can really make it happen. While it's very much a nombo for slog decks like this, engines that go for them are a different animal. It's particularly good in decks with low amounts of treasure, which get most of their oomph from cantrips.
It's really good with copper trashing. With strong trashing, you are probably trashing the estates. But if you've got moneylender or spice merchant, going engine, this can be a very potent card. Also, it swings more normal trashing toward preferrentially going after coppers - for instance, in a lot of cases you will actually want to upgrade copper before estate when you have crossroads in the deck.
It's similarly good with stables. They can make the backbone of a very powerful engine, just the two of them.

There are some tactical nuances to be aware of. There's the trashing issues mentioned above, but also certain cards, basically sifters. Warehouse is the poster child. If you warehouse up some coppers and estates with a crossroads in hand, you almost always are going to want to discard the coppers. You will draw better back with the crossroads, particularly in any kind of deck where you have these cards, which will be an engine. This is especially true if you have some other sifter (another warehouse or cellar or something) to follow it up.

Here's a couple of games to illustrate some of the broken things you can do, in the right circumstances.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201301/10/game-20130110-155734-f6b9e214.html
In this one, the presence of other villages is very important, there's copper trashing to help get it going, secret chamber gives the cash, and woodcutters give the buy. 4 colonies, 2 provinces, a duchy and four estates in 18 turns, which doesn't sound THAT great, but the cool thing is that it's actually GAINING steam at the end, so it has great longevity.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-162124-894c1630.html
Here, crossroads, stables, a worker's village for needed buy, and a couple golds, nets 5 provinces and 4 duchies in 14 turns. Pretty nifty!

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 03:46:31 pm »

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201212/22/game-20121222-162124-894c1630.html
Here, crossroads, stables, a worker's village for needed buy, and a couple golds, nets 5 provinces and 4 duchies in 14 turns. Pretty nifty!

I love the Turn 9 Duchy buy!  Truly a sign of a master player knowing that even though a single Province hasn't been bought, the deck constructed will extremely good longevity due to the nature of its construction.
Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 04:14:02 pm »

The turn 9 Duchy buy, as well as the early Worker's Village instead of a Silver, are both signs of a brilliant strategic mind. Well played!

ignatius

• Pawn
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2013, 01:07:23 pm »

If you go for Workshop/Gardens, Crossroads should make a nice addition to your deck. Esp. in a mirror, when you don't have time to build a proper engine when trying to win the WS and Garden-splits, the draw combined with the +3 actions should enable some of those all-important double-workshop turns. Also, it makes adding a terminal gaining attack like Thief much more viable.

Also, the "Conflicts With" maybe should mention handsize-attacks (esp. in the above setting  the otherwise weak Bureaucrat is considerably stronger).

ignatius

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:37 pm »

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Bridge. Crossroads is no Native Village, but it can enable 3 Bridges to be played on one turn. Combined with the +cards if you get a lot of Estates in your hand, this can lead to a very quick three-pile ending on Crossroads/Bridge/Estate, reliably in 12 turns or so.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2013, 03:53:45 am »
+2

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Bridge. Crossroads is no Native Village, but it can enable 3 Bridges to be played on one turn. Combined with the +cards if you get a lot of Estates in your hand, this can lead to a very quick three-pile ending on Crossroads/Bridge/Estate, reliably in 12 turns or so.

I'm not convinced by this.  Three piling XR/Bridge/Estate in 12 turns will reliably result in a loss. Just buy a Province and a Duchy and you beat 8 Estates.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2013, 04:07:35 am »
+2

The idea that crossroads can combo with your green cards to make a draw engine is fallacious - the higher density of green cards means that crossroads draws more cards, but also that more of the cards it draws are useless green cards.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 09:14:04 am »
+1

The idea that crossroads can combo with your green cards to make a draw engine is fallacious - the higher density of green cards means that crossroads draws more cards, but also that more of the cards it draws are useless green cards.
Indeed. You may end up spending so much time to have a deck that can draw itself but which can barely afford Province. It might not be enough.

I'd say Harem and Tunnel, when you can discard it with something like Horse Traders or Secret Chamber, are exceptions. Also, the presence of Silk Road can make such a deck particularly appealing.

Overall, Crossroads is rather versatile and has the power to maintain an engine that would otherwise choke hard on green.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2013, 05:13:33 am »
+1

Crossroads is fun, because it falls in an underrated category: Non-VP cards that you buy in the end game.

When you are greening hard and only have $3 to spend, you could always nab a Silver or an Estate, but a Crossroads could be quite helpful for that final push.

Other cards in this category are the TfB ones like Salvager, Remodel, etc.., but also Death Cart, Warehouse and others.

I once played a deck with Crossroads and Great Hall. Now this sounds like a super combo, but it's so-so because oftentimes you don't draw your CR and then you're just a Village idiot or you draw it with 2 GH's and then it's just a glorified Lab.

Its strenght also comes from it costing $2, meaning a 5/2 can get one, like Torturer/CR or Witch/CR, just about anything with good draw and this can get started pretty decently.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

qdread

• Thief
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2013, 08:52:39 am »

I'm not convinced by this.  Three piling XR/Bridge/Estate in 12 turns will reliably result in a loss. Just buy a Province and a Duchy and you beat 8 Estates.

You might be right, but it has worked for me a couple of times as a "surprise" fast three-pile ending strategy, since you can probably pick up a Duchy or two if you can lay down 2-3 Bridges in one turn. But maybe it would not work against a high-level player...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2013, 02:56:02 pm »
+1

You don't actually need a high density of green cards to draw with Crossroads, you just need to have a green card or 2 in your hand at the time you *play* Crossroads. So if you have some other sort of drawing, you can use Crossroads to aid in drawing more. Of course, you can't rely on Crossroads for your only source of draw.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2013, 03:48:41 pm »

During my last turn of the 2nd game of our Team World Cup match today, I drew 15 cards with 3 Crossroads (and could have played one more to draw my remaining deck):

SheCantSayNo   plays Crossroads
SheCantSayNo   reveals hand: Duchy, Province, Province, Fairgrounds, Silver
SheCantSayNo   draws Bank, Crossroads, Spice Merchant, Province
SheCantSayNo   reveals hand: Bank, Spice Merchant, Province, Duchy, Province, Province, Fairgrounds, Silver
SheCantSayNo   draws Estate, Crossroads, Merchant Guild, Copper, Gold
SheCantSayNo   reveals hand: Estate, Merchant Guild, Copper, Gold, Bank, Spice Merchant, Province, Duchy, Province, Province, Fairgrounds, Silver
SheCantSayNo   draws Silver, Fairgrounds, Vagrant, Fairgrounds, Silver, Crossroads
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:49:53 pm by SheCantSayNo »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 2.241 seconds with 20 queries.