Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Shuffling and the lose track rule.  (Read 2585 times)

perturbator

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Shuffling and the lose track rule.
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:16:37 pm »

Does shuffling always trigger the lose track rule, or is there a caveat that it has to be more than 1 card when shuffling to trigger it?

Consider the following scenario:

- deck: 0 cards
- discard: X cards
- in hand: watchtower, develop, and some card costing 4

- you play develop, choosing the 4 cost card
-- choose inn to gain, inn is gained to top of deck (now the only card in your deck)
--- you order the when gains as follows: inn, watchtower
---- inn when gain: no actions revealed, deck that is still only size of one is now "shuffled"

At this point has the watchtower now lost track of inn because the deck's been "shuffled"?

I mainly ask because the FAQ (http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Complete_and_All-Encompassing_Dominion_FAQ#toc54) doesn't cover the 1 card shuffle:

You Develop a card costing 4 coins into an Inn (and another card costing 3). The Inn is gained to the top of your deck, and you have a Watchtower in your hand. You can now resolve Inn's when-gain ability and Watchtower's Reaction ability in any order. If you do Inn's first, the Inn is shuffled into your deck. Watchtower has now lost track of the Inn (it's expected to be on top of your deck), so you can't reveal Watchtower to move the Inn to the top of your deck.

I realize this is a case where we KNOW that the inn hasn't been covered up, but I'm just curious if the game is allowed to know the same thing.

Alternatively, can a one card deck not be considered to have even been shuffled in the first place and this was a completely useless thread?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:43:47 pm by perturbator »

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Shuffling and the lose track rule.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 04:21:02 pm »

hmmm, interesting. I'd guess that watchtower does lose track of it, but I could be wrong.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 04:40:36 pm »

I don't understand the scenario you are outlining.
Well you *do* need a signature...

perturbator

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 04:43:11 pm »

I don't understand the scenario you are outlining.

Removed the bit about royal seal being in play during the action phase, sorry about that. Had a different situation in mind when I started writing before changing over to develop. Was there anything else off about the scenario?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »

I believe that Inn shuffling itself counts as it moving, and so the Watchtower should lose track of it.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 06:18:56 pm »

Let's consider the case however many cards are in your deck.

There's two orders you could resolve in: if you resolve the Watchtower first, you may trash the Inn, or put the Inn on your deck where it already was because of Develop, then you resolve the Inn which requires you to shuffle your deck (even if you don't choose any action cards to shuffle in), leaving you either with a trashed Inn (and a shuffled deck, which may or may not happen before you topdeck the other card gained by Develop, since Develop lets you choose the order) or an Inn somewhere in your deck (and again, the other card gained by Develop could be on top or shuffled in, you choose the order). Otherwise, you could resolve the Inn first, shuffling your deck, and then fail to resolve Watchtower due to lose track, leaving you with an Inn shuffled into your deck as before.

So, the options are: trash the Inn, or shuffle it into your deck; either way you have the other card either gained on top of your deck or shuffled in, your choice. I don't see where it matters that your deck has only one card; I guess it's an academic question of whether you can trash the Inn after you "shuffled it in" because you still know where it is, in which case the answer is probably no.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

perturbator

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 06:32:34 pm »
+1

I don't see where it matters that your deck has only one card; I guess it's an academic question of whether you can trash the Inn after you "shuffled it in" because you still know where it is, in which case the answer is probably no.

That's all it was really, I was simply curious if shuffling a deck of one card was a) considered shuffling and b) activated lose track. Thanks for the responses all.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 20 queries.