Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Memorizing the cards  (Read 4016 times)

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
Memorizing the cards
« on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:20 pm »

So I understand how to play innovation, but it seems to me at this point, in order to understand more strategy and how to win innovation, I need to memorize the cards.  This isn't so hard in Dominion, because all the cards available are right there in front of you, and they operate within a set of rules.  There are a limited number of things they can do.  It just feels more structured.  And since you play with multiple copies of them, both using and feeling their effects in the same game, I find it easy to pair a card and its effect and usefulness.  I'm having a hard time doing that in innovation.  Maybe that's because I find it tedious to always be hovering over the other player's cards and re-reading them and figuring out what they do.  Also part of it is that compared to Dominion cards (Well, most of them) innovation cards are/can be quite wordy.  And icons are a lot harder to remember than a simple cost.  Does anyone have any suggestion for how to memorize the cards?  I feel like it would be easier with the physical game, but being a college student, I have to pick and choose when/what games I buy and well, guilds won out :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12839
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Memorizing the cards
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:38:47 pm »
+1

Play more Innovation, that's probably the best way. It took me around a hundred games to memorize the base game dogmas and I've just recently started to remember what icons the cards have.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:40:35 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
  • Respect: +690
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:57:24 pm »

A lot of games are like that. :P But, yeah. By playing a lot you'll naturally start to memorize them.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 05:47:31 am »

Honestly, I only really remember the first 2 ages, and the power cards past that. I couldn't even tell you exactly what oars does offhand; it really doesn't matter that much.

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 06:10:22 am »

Honestly, I only really remember the first 2 ages, and the power cards past that. I couldn't even tell you exactly what oars does offhand; it really doesn't matter that much.

So what you're saying is you don't remember the first two ages?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6118
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:41 am »

It seems daunting, but it comes naturally.  you don't have to sit down and memorize the cards, but after more and more games you just get to know them.  Kind of like how now you know instinctively what Village and Chapel do.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 10:47:09 am »
+1

Is Chapel trash up to four cards in your hand, or trash exactly four cards from your hand?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6118
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »
+7

Due to an oft-overlooked misprint it actually reads "trash up to four hands".  It's a pretty OP attack, especially in multiplayer.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »

It seems daunting, but it comes naturally.  you don't have to sit down and memorize the cards, but after more and more games you just get to know them.  Kind of like how now you know instinctively what Village and Chapel do.
I'm sure. It just doesn't feel that way as much as dominion, but maybe that's because I learned dominion with the physical cards and innovation I learned online.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »

You don't really have to know all the cards to play well. You should learn all the more important ones naturally as you play, because you'll fell their impact. If you never learn Feudalism, it won't hurt too much.

If you're set on trying to memorize them, the list on the main blog and quick reference are nice. It also helps to have a functional understanding of what the colors and icons tend to relate to (e.g. reds have more castles and factories, crowns have more demands, blues tend to tech, etc.) , so it's less like memorizing a random bunch of cards.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:22:23 am »

You may need to memorize the cards through playing games rather than just sitting down and memorizing the cards online. It is not effective at all, and the more important point is that you need to memorize what a card can do but not just the words.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 04:36:06 am »

if it makes it easier, you can try ignoring cards that don't have icon dominance at the moment.  Your opponent might share it with you and you might wish you had read it, maybe, but it's pretty rare to get outright blown out by a dogma share (especially in base).

That can make things more digestible as you play

eliegel34

• Golem
  • Respect: +146
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 07:56:28 pm »

Its not too hard to figure out how the cards work, but I really struggle with what strategy to use, without know what cards are best worst for me in a current situation.  In base I usually know the answer, and it has improved my play quite a bit, in echos I'm not real sure.  It takes a long time to get a feel for that, but i guess thats just the process of learning the game.  Its just frustrating to feel so bad at the game again. 
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.