Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: "Guilds" could have been named "Chancellors"  (Read 4592 times)

Vermillion

• Baron
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
"Guilds" could have been named "Chancellors"
« on: June 21, 2013, 04:17:07 am »

If you play a Guilds deck alone (which I am not sure you can if you only play pro games), I'm sure it is kind of interesting.......

But in terms of interactivity with existing cards or the ability to base a strategy around certain cards in the deck that you find when playing the fully randomized pro games.... I don't see any engine or megaturn potential in here. Maybe Masterpiece/Feodum????

Soothsayer might be a decent witch alternative, and maybe doctor could be fun to mess around with, but otherwise.... this coin token thing is a bit of a bust.
---------------------------------------------------
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Re: "Guilds" could have been named "Chancellors"
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 05:09:51 am »

Scrying pool - Candlestick maker
Advisor - Storeroom/Vault
Village - Merchant guild
Herald - Conspirator
Journeyman - Tunnel ?
Stonemason - Highway or Minion

There are many megaturn potential with the coin tokens, especially chains of Bakers and Candlestick makers.
I'm pretty sure Butcher interact nicely with dark ages.

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 05:31:07 am »

The Contraband thread had a couple of new posts implying that Contraband gets better with coin tokens on the table.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 05:39:46 am »

Herald has been pretty cool the times I've made an engine of it. Had a  few spectacular failures along the way though.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 06:01:56 am »
+1

Merchant Guild is clearly a megaturn card, like Goons, you want to play lots of them at once and buy a lot of Copper.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 06:18:04 am »

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 06:21:48 am »
+3

What about this game?
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=8482.0
Well, Stef could make an engine out of the basic treasures and victory cards alone.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:04:21 am »
+1

Stonemason-Quarry is truly ridiculous on boards where Quarry is already a good option.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 10:57:31 am »

... this coin token thing is a bit of a bust.

I think this is a crazy thing to say, but then it's not always obvious that the coin tokens are (usually) best en masse; all of the coin token cards except Butcher are non-terminal.  Candlestick Maker, if you also can get some draw, is a megaturn generator almost by itself.

Masterpiece is great with almost any alt-VP slog or rush.  Stonemason makes it easy to get things you would otherwise want a lot of (Villages, $5 engine pieces).  Journeyman, Advisor, and Herald are all variations of other cards but hey, variations are a good thing.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 11:14:31 am »

I really want to try out Candlestick Maker or Plaza with Poor House.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2013, 11:28:17 am »

If you play a Guilds deck alone (which I am not sure you can if you only play pro games), I'm sure it is kind of interesting.......

But in terms of interactivity with existing cards or the ability to base a strategy around certain cards in the deck that you find when playing the fully randomized pro games.... I don't see any engine or megaturn potential in here. Maybe Masterpiece/Feodum????

Soothsayer might be a decent witch alternative, and maybe doctor could be fun to mess around with, but otherwise.... this coin token thing is a bit of a bust.

I think you're insane. Coin tokens are incredibly, incredibly powerful, and the set invites engines that hoard massive amounts of them before pulling multi-Province (or multi-Colony) megaturns. The only coin token card I haven't seen work as the centerpiece of a megaturn deck is Butcher.

Also, if all you're thinking about is megaturns, then you're playing a boring, one-dimensional version of Dominion. Sometimes the fun part is trying to make a deck work in situations where you CAN'T draw your whole deck while playing four King's Courts. It's creativity and finesse and making a really subtly brilliant buy that pays off in a way your opponent didn't see coming at all four turns later.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »

In every board I've played with candlestickmaker (which isn't very many) I've bought a lot of them. Many of those times there has been sufficient support for megaturn.

Vermillion

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »

I think you're insane. Coin tokens are incredibly, incredibly powerful, and the set invites engines that hoard massive amounts of them before pulling multi-Province (or multi-Colony) megaturns. The only coin token card I haven't seen work as the centerpiece of a megaturn deck is Butcher.

Ho-hum, they're like less good versions of existing cards.

Also, if all you're thinking about is megaturns, then you're playing a boring, one-dimensional version of Dominion. Sometimes the fun part is trying to make a deck work in situations where you CAN'T draw your whole deck while playing four King's Courts. It's creativity and finesse and making a really subtly brilliant buy that pays off in a way your opponent didn't see coming at all four turns later.

Where did you read that?

And please don't tell me what I should think is fun. Jeez, preach much?

When all is said and done, this will be one of those sets that is the most forgettable and probably didn't need to be released. Everything from the names to the card art shows this one was a little less thought out than the others.
I Suck At Dominion. A NSFW and offensive Youtube channel of Recorded Dominion Games. It may give you cancer. http://bit.ly/1cvXLYL

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 01:17:32 pm »

What existing cards are they weak versions of?

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 01:17:36 pm »
+1

When all is said and done, this will be one of those sets that is the most forgettable and probably didn't need to be released. Everything from the names to the card art shows this one was a little less thought out than the others.
I want the Facepalm smiley please.

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:05 pm »

Ho-hum, they're like less good versions of existing cards.
Except Butcher is a superior remodel, Soothsayer is sort of a better marauder with a draw back, Baker is better than peddler, better than treasury in some situations. Plaza is a superior village.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 01:24:56 pm »
+7

please don't tell me what I should think is fun
OK, so different people find different things fun.
probably didn't need to be released
OK, so this expansion shouldn't exist because you don't find it fun.

Vermillion

• Baron
    • View Profile
    • ISuckAtDominion (NSFW)
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 01:58:58 pm »

As fun as a board of chancellors and bureaucrats.

Not that this is definitive, but if Qvist does a list next year, we'll see where this expansion falls.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 01:59:49 pm »
+6

Obvious troll is obvious.

gman314

• Minion
  • Respect: +281
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 02:07:38 pm »

Not that this is definitive, but if Qvist does a list next year, we'll see where this expansion falls.

Well, I expect Soothsayer to be in the top 10 $5s, and Candlestick Maker will probably be in the top 10 $2s. I think Taxman will pass Cutpurse, and Plaza will be one of the top $4 Villages. Doctor will likely get a reasonably strong spot on the $3 list. Those are my predictions.

clb

• Tactician
  • Respect: +182
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 03:33:05 pm »

I played a number of all-Guilds games last night and then started mixing in the other cards and came to the opposite conclusion. The Guilds-only boards were neat to learn cards, but were Soothsayer-BM and then Advisor, Masterpiece-BM (with some Butcher anti-stall assistance).
However, mixing Guilds into all the cards, I got to do some crazy-fun things. I lost a Minion split 3-7 I think and then won with Mystic and Plaza helping me to snag 6 of the Colonies before my opponent* emptied the Provinces. I ran a Herald-Goons deck with only Loan for trashing against an opponent who was overloading on Tunnels. It was almost as fun as the Heralds-Goons-Caravan-Advisor game. :) Games with Stonemason and Candlestick Maker are built-in 3-pile red alerts.
The Guilds cards, to me, are not in-your-face powerful, but are more subtle and seem to have the ability to turn many dull boards into amazing. 

*oppenents were bots, and seemed rather incompetent, but perhaps an interesting backdrop nonetheless.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 04:21:29 pm »

I've been watching a bunch of WW's goko videos and woo howdy there is megaturn potential, but often it's like double-megaturn.  Basically, tokens let you build longer, wait for a double province + duchies turn, and then have another double province turn after that.

This is one of the really interesting/challenging aspects of merchant's guild: megaturns benefit you next turn.
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:35:05 pm »

As fun as a board of chancellors and bureaucrats.

Chancellor and Bureaucrat are both quite useful.  If Chancellor is the only $3/$4 terminal, it's better to open with it than Silver.  Bureaucrat is a great Gardens/Feodum enabler, and free Silvers are always welcome.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.44 seconds with 21 queries.