Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18  All

Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 106173 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #200 on: December 10, 2013, 12:41:51 pm »

No, I read some sort of synopsis where all these guys, including the Doctor, were to fight yet another enemy.

That's in fact what I was hinting at. :P

If you've been seeing the set release pictures as they've been released (as well as the picture I posted above), it's not at all clear that the "destruction" of classic "enemies" is at the hands of The Doctor. He may very well be the "General", with his "Army" behind him in the above picture...

Nice of him to rip of the head of one of his army members then...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:09 pm »

No, I read some sort of synopsis where all these guys, including the Doctor, were to fight yet another enemy.

If you've been seeing the set release pictures as they've been released (as well as the picture I posted above), it's not at all clear that the "destruction" of classic "enemies" is at the hands of The Doctor. He may very well be the "General", with his "Army" behind him in the above picture...

Who said he did it?
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 10, 2013, 04:22:18 pm »

Who said he did it?

I did, just then.
Didn't you see it?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 10, 2013, 04:44:36 pm »

Who said he did it?

I did, just then.
Didn't you see it?

No, I've very selective reading.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2013, 03:55:50 pm »
+1

If you're allowed to count both in-universe and real-life interactions, David Tennant is his own father-in-law.

Twice.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 18, 2013, 05:26:57 am »
+1

So... once because he's married to the actress from "The Doctor's Daughter", but what's the second one ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:39 am »

So... once because he's married to the actress from "The Doctor's Daughter", but what's the second one ?

Georgia Moffett is Peter Davison's daughter.  Meanwhile, in universe, Peter Davison and David Tennant are the same character...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2013, 04:42:02 pm »

Georgia Moffett is Peter Davison's daughter.  Meanwhile, in universe, Peter Davison and David Tennant are the same character...
Right. I don't see how that's twice though - you need both those parts to get you just the first own-father-in-law.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: December 18, 2013, 05:20:36 pm »

The Doctor (Davison) is the father-in-law of The Doctor (Tennant) by being the real-life father of Georgia Moffett.

The Doctor (Tennant) is the father (in-universe) of his own wife (real-life).

(Allowing both kinds of interactions means that, in this context, Georgia Moffett/Jenny has two fathers, both of whom are the Doctor.)

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: December 18, 2013, 06:06:54 pm »

Yeah, that's pretty funny.

Also, here name is really close to Moffat...

I've said too much already.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 19, 2013, 06:23:56 pm »

f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: December 20, 2013, 06:50:48 am »

Failed on the rhino thing (I had pretty close guesses but far enough to no count) and the blonde. I knew who she was but couldn't find her name.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 12, 2014, 04:27:48 pm »
+5

« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:30:38 pm by qmech »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2014, 12:47:08 pm »

I didn't remember Donna :(
Don't feel bad that i didn't remember Clara Oswald (i honestly forgot she existed...) or that Rhino thing, but how could i forget Donna? I even mistook her for Harriet Jones (prime minister).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2014, 12:02:11 pm »

19/19.  That was a horrible drawing of Sarah Jane.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 16, 2014, 01:21:28 pm »
+1

19/19.  That was a horrible drawing of Sarah Jane.

Also it wouldn't accept "Raxacoricofallapatorian" as the answer to #16...

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »

I have a question maybe you Dr Who experts could answer for me.  It's about the end of season 6 and gives away the ending, so I'll put it in spoiler mode.

When River Song refuses to kill the Doctor, it ruptures time and is really dreadful, so they undo the damage by having her kill him after all.  But then it turns out it wasn't really him (except that he was in the robot, I guess).  So shouldn't time have still been topsy-turvy, since the Doctor didn't really die?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2014, 01:13:59 pm »

I have a question maybe you Dr Who experts could answer for me.  It's about the end of season 6 and gives away the ending, so I'll put it in spoiler mode.

When River Song refuses to kill the Doctor, it ruptures time and is really dreadful, so they undo the damage by having her kill him after all.  But then it turns out it wasn't really him (except that he was in the robot, I guess).  So shouldn't time have still been topsy-turvy, since the Doctor didn't really die?

The Doctor didn't actually have to die for time to work out correctly, because he was in the Tesselecta when River shoots "him," as well as in the aborted timeline in which she didn't.  However, as so much attention was focused on that moment (by Kovarian and the Silence), the shooting had to occur at the fixed point.

In other words, we first saw the Tesselecta in "The Impossible Astronaut," even though we didn't learn about its nature until "Let's Kill Hitler."  And of course we're all so used to monster-of-the-week from Doctor Who that nobody even thought of the Tesselecta as being Chekov's gun.  Or, I suppose, Chekov's gun's target.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2014, 01:51:10 pm »

In other words, it doesn't really make sense and Steven Moffat wants you to just forget about it. Which is the whole problem with Moffat : he cares A LOT about plot until it doesn't make sense anymore. At least Russel T Davies was consistent in that he never cared too much about plot consistency.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:12 pm »
+1

In other words, it doesn't really make sense and Steven Moffat wants you to just forget about it. Which is the whole problem with Moffat : he cares A LOT about plot until it doesn't make sense anymore. At least Russel T Davies was consistent in that he never cared too much about plot consistency.

The fixed point was that the Doctor (as the Tesselecta) dies. That's what has to happen. By not killing the TessaDoctor, River broke time. It makes complete sense and is a consistent plot (characters say and believe other things because they're learning the mystery and have incomplete information during the season).

That said, the show never makes this irreverent situation/explanation clear, leaving what I think is a great twist as something most people consider a plot hole. Which is a damn shame, but I don't blame them.

That's my big problem with Moffat - brilliant plotlines horribly presented.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1966
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2014, 06:59:59 pm »
+3

I didn't remember Donna :(
Don't feel bad that i didn't remember Clara Oswald (i honestly forgot she existed...) or that Rhino thing, but how could i forget Donna? I even mistook her for Harriet Jones (prime minister).
That's ok. Donna doesn't remember either.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2014, 07:36:59 pm »

Oh I'm aware of the way it "makes sense". It's clever. Everything Moffat does is clever. Not interesting, but clever. Like, seriously, how is this a "great twist". It's just "hey, you know how we hyped up the Doctor's death for a bunch of episodes and you always knew we would find a reason to wiggle our way out of it because we obviously can't kill the Doctor ? Here's how we did it !". A great twist is something that surprises you, that shocks you, that makes you see everything differently, this was just... weirdly predictable. Not in the way that I could have predicted the details of it, but the place we end up in is exactly what I expected (basically status quo).

Which is fine, really. But the fact that Moffat is so enamored with his own cleverness makes the show feel unbelievably smug.

Well I'm exaggerating a bit, but I've obviously grown quite tired of the Moffat era. It's more consistent (and much better looking) than the Davies era, but it kinda lost its heart along the way. Even season 5 which is the best of his tenure lacks a great episode of the calibre of Midnight, Blink or Dalek. Hopefully a new doctor will help shake things up a bit, but really I'm hoping for a change of showrunner more than anything.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »

The Doctor didn't actually have to die for time to work out correctly, because he was in the Tesselecta when River shoots "him," as well as in the aborted timeline in which she didn't.  However, as so much attention was focused on that moment (by Kovarian and the Silence), the shooting had to occur at the fixed point.

In other words, we first saw the Tesselecta in "The Impossible Astronaut," even though we didn't learn about its nature until "Let's Kill Hitler."  And of course we're all so used to monster-of-the-week from Doctor Who that nobody even thought of the Tesselecta as being Chekov's gun.  Or, I suppose, Chekov's gun's target.

This makes sense since he gets in the Tesselecta thingy before he goes to the lake, so he was in it both times.  I suppose the belief by most of the universe that the Doctor was dead could constitute grounds for a fixed point.  He just tells everyone he has to die because he ALWAYS LIES!  But then in season 7, no one seems that surprised he is actually alive, so there's another inconsistency.  He just says his friends think he is dead at the end of that forest episode.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2014, 07:58:27 pm »

So who do you guys like better, David Tennant or Matt Smith?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 06, 2014, 08:35:30 am »

I may have to go with Tenant. They're both whimsical in very similar ways, but they have a little bit that differentiates them. And that differentiation pushes me toward Tenant. He actually acts like a man who is centuries old (or at least what I imagine such a man would act like). He seems to be more calculating. But they're both good.

I'm actually watching some older Who on Netflix. I got bored of the second Doctor, but that was really the way the show was laid out and not because of the character. I'm sure I'd appreciate the second Doctor more if the serial I was watching wasn't such a bore. The third doctor is interesting and gives me hope for the twelfth doctor since both of them are older gentlemen.

I'm looking forward to the Tom Baker episodes since I believe he's a Doctor favored by many prior to the 2005- episodes.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.