Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18  All

Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 105765 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »

Gah!  Yes, I was talking about her Grandfather.  And that isn't the first time I've been corrected on that, I just can't get it into my head that he isn't her father for some reason, maybe because I don't like the Donna episodes enough to watch them much (aside from a few instant classics like Silence in the Library).

Well, and Wilf is a better parent than Donna's mother. Her mother is just downright rotten and miserable, and I just kind of wished that maybe she was replaced with some alien. It does explain why Donna was so neurotic.

But I hate the character of Donna's mother.
A man has no signature

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 03:15:39 pm »

Gah!  Yes, I was talking about her Grandfather.  And that isn't the first time I've been corrected on that, I just can't get it into my head that he isn't her father for some reason, maybe because I don't like the Donna episodes enough to watch them much (aside from a few instant classics like Silence in the Library).

Well, and Wilf is a better parent than Donna's mother. Her mother is just downright rotten and miserable, and I just kind of wished that maybe she was replaced with some alien. It does explain why Donna was so neurotic.

But I hate the character of Donna's mother.

Agreed 110%.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 03:21:44 pm »

I mean, at least I can see where Martha's mother and Rose's mother were coming from. They were overly protective of their daughters who were just whisked away by this madman in a box. So, while their actions initially started off as adversarial, their motivations were pure. Donna's mother was just a jerk through and through. They tried to bring her some redemption at the end when she recognized that her daughter was not just some prat, but it was too late for me.
A man has no signature

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 03:24:13 pm »

Hey, did they ever resolve the fact that the Doctor has a granddaughter?
The Doctor mentioning in the most recent season that he traveled somewhere with his granddaughter is the first time in the modern series they've explicitly mentioned Susan and his granddaughter (he's mentioned having a family once, and some other vague stuff)...and then she's seen (played by a body-double) in the most recent episode. Which is interesting as I think it's the first time we've ever got a canon clarification that Susan was with him when he stole the TARDIS and ran away.

But no, overall, big picture, no explanation/clarification. Though he does now have a wife (River) and "daughter" (Jenny), so his having a granddaughter is now less weird, if still unexplained.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 09:52:11 pm »
+1

Susan was his first companion in the classic series.  She is living on Earth at some point in the future now.
Eh, it gets complicated. Susan left the TARDIS to join a guy in the 21st/22nd Century fighting against the Dalek invasion, but the timeline has changed so much since then that that particular future probably doesn't exist any more. I think it was implied that all Time Lords were effectively conscripted into the Time War, of which the Doctor is the only* survivor, and that that includes Susan. Of course the universe has been rebooted once or twice since that event, but again it's pretty clear that it's still a universe free of excess Time Lords.

But no, overall, big picture, no explanation/clarification. Though he does now have a wife (River) and "daughter" (Jenny), so his having a granddaughter is now less weird, if still unexplained.
Although neither River nor Jenny has any particular bearing on Susan's existence at this point - the Doctor never met either of them prior to his Tennant regeneration, but he did have ~900 years in his first regeneration** in which he apparently became a father and then a grandfather.

* Barring certain edgecases, of which Susan is not explicitly included.
** Which suggests that he's become careless in his old age, having managed to use up 9 regenerations in the span of a few decades, and the current one has lasted 200 years only by virtue of not appearing on screen for most of that time, and apparently that's about as much as he's getting unless there's another time skip in the Christmas special.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2013, 12:51:56 pm »

Although neither River nor Jenny has any particular bearing on Susan's existence at this point - the Doctor never met either of them prior to his Tennant regeneration, but he did have ~900 years in his first regeneration** in which he apparently became a father and then a grandfather.

* Barring certain edgecases, of which Susan is not explicitly included.
** Which suggests that he's become careless in his old age, having managed to use up 9 regenerations in the span of a few decades, and the current one has lasted 200 years only by virtue of not appearing on screen for most of that time, and apparently that's about as much as he's getting unless there's another time skip in the Christmas special.
But it would be wonderfully timey-wimey, and totally possible, if he becomes a father as 12, for example, and then that person has a daughter (Susan), who ends up traveling with him in his first incarnation. If they ever explain her, I actually assume it'll be something like that.

He didn't have 900 years in his first regeneration at all, unless I'm very much misunderstanding you. I always though (no idea where I got it) that it was about 400 years for 1st Doctor. I mean, yes, 9 is very short and 10 isn't very long. So yeah, he's been blowing through reincarnations lately, but this timeline has always been strange. I think it's odd they're being consistent with it in the new show. He was "thousands" of years old at one point in the old show.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:39 am »

Nobody? Well, put me down in the camp that is very excited and happy with yesterday overall.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2013, 12:52:00 pm »

Nobody? Well, put me down in the camp that is very excited and happy with yesterday overall.

It'll be quite a change.  The only actor older than this to play the Doctor was William Hartnell... and only by a few months.  They may have to tone down the adventurousness of the Doctor, just because what he does might otherwise look incongruous.

Also I think this is the only actor to have appeared previously in an episode (Fires of Pompeii).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2013, 12:55:04 pm »

Also I think this is the only actor to have appeared previously in an episode (Fires of Pompeii).

He's definitely the only one to have a speaking role, but the 6th doctor (C. Baker) appeared in an episode with the 5th Doctor. He was head of the Time Lord guards tasked with taking the Doctor away to be executed!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2013, 01:49:31 pm »

I think he'll be great.  Looking forward to it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2013, 02:55:59 am »
+1

It'll be quite a change.  The only actor older than this to play the Doctor was William Hartnell... and only by a few months.  They may have to tone down the adventurousness of the Doctor, just because what he does might otherwise look incongruous.

Hey, I just noticed that Karen Gillan (who would of course later star as Amy Pond) also appeared in Fires of Pompeii, as a ... wait for it ... Soothsayer!
I guess she gave the Doctor some Gold?

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:28 am »
+2

Squeee!

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2013, 10:23:12 am »

I CAN'T WATCH THIS UNTIL I GET BACK FROM WORK. HOLY ***********************.

Also, I super-lucked out and got 6 tickets for my friends for the theater screening in Chicago for the 50th, and I'm going to a big Doctor Who trivia this weekend...my life has been nothing but Who for the past two weeks and will be for the next two, and it's amazing!

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2013, 10:59:46 am »

I CAN'T WATCH THIS UNTIL I GET BACK FROM WORK. HOLY ***********************.

Also, I super-lucked out and got 6 tickets for my friends for the theater screening in Chicago for the 50th, and I'm going to a big Doctor Who trivia this weekend...my life has been nothing but Who for the past two weeks and will be for the next two, and it's amazing!

Same. Scored tickets up in San Francisco. 9 days now....
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2013, 11:36:04 am »

Hey, I just noticed that Karen Gillan (who would of course later star as Amy Pond) also appeared in Fires of Pompeii, as a ... wait for it ... Soothsayer!
I guess she gave the Doctor some Gold?

Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) also appeared in an episode as someone else, one of the cybermen episodes before she was a full time role.

I also have quite a crush on Jenna Coleman...
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2013, 11:39:10 am »

Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) also appeared in an episode as someone else, one of the cybermen episodes before she was a full time role.

I think they later say that was her cousin (as their ret-con). I actually re-watched that two-parter last night. It's Rose's goodbye episode (at least, it should have been!).

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2013, 11:41:23 am »

How many final appearances has she had now?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

Well, does in-universe stuff like the fact the Doctor intended to leave her behind in "The Parting of the Ways" count?

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2013, 12:11:57 pm »

She left at the end of S2.
She was back at the end of S4.
She got her goodbye at the end of Tennant's specials.
She's back again* in some form in the 50th

Freema played "her own cousin" back in the series finale of S2, before she was cast as the companion for S3.
Karen played a Soothsayer in episode 2 of S4, "Fires of Pompeii" before being cast as the companion in S5.
Peter Capaldi played a Father in "Fires of Pompeii" before being cast as the next Doctor, following Smith.

Also, crossover to Torchwood, but Eve Myles played a character in Episode 3 of S1 (can't recall character name) before being cast in Torchwood.

And honestly, even prior to the reboot it was a fairly common occurrence for people to play different parts prior to being full-cast. The BBC tends to use a relatively small (seemingly) selection of actors when it comes to their shows. Once you've made it, you're in everything (not that I'm complaining. The talent is certainly worth it!).

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2013, 12:13:51 pm »

And yes, I refer to the sessions from the reboot perspective if I'm talking current Who, because it's just easier. :P

Mafia Record:

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2013, 03:43:46 pm »

Also, crossover to Torchwood, but Eve Myles played a character in Episode 3 of S1 (can't recall character name) before being cast in Torchwood.

That character's name was Gwyneth.  And her character in Torchwood is Gwen.  Rose does a double take about this when they meet Gwen at Torchwood in S4, and the Doctor explains it away with some timey-wimey mumbo-jumbo.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »
+1

I recently asked a Dr. Who fan where to start watching if I wanted to try to get into it.  She said "Tennant" then work backwards.  Is that right?

I think I'll just stick to the TRUE longest running sci-fi show ever, Stargate.  It was never canceled a million times, you know.

(I love geek wars.  SG1 vs. Dr. Who is one or the more hilariously absurd ones.)
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:56 pm »

I recently asked a Dr. Who fan where to start watching if I wanted to try to get into it.  She said "Tennant" then work backwards.  Is that right?

Eh, I wouldn't actually say that. I'd say start from the beginning if you like old-time TV or radio and are a completist uber-nerd (like me!). Otherwise start with "Rose" (Ninth Doctor) or "The Eleventh Hour" (Eleventh Doctor). If you don't like Ninth Doctor, there's only one season and then you have Tennant (Tenth Doctor), who is usually everyone's favorite in the new series. Plus, the show is designed to be started with 9 (and 11, in a small way) in that they make sure to explain the world etc. etc. whereas it's a bit more "deep end" if you go with the start of 10.

But it's not like it's a cerebral murder mystery or anything, you can truly start anywhere you want and you'll be fine.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2013, 04:35:11 pm »

Eh, I wouldn't actually say that. I'd say start from the beginning if you like old-time TV or radio and are a completist uber-nerd (like me!). Otherwise start with "Rose" (Ninth Doctor) or "The Eleventh Hour" (Eleventh Doctor). If you don't like Ninth Doctor, there's only one season and then you have Tennant (Tenth Doctor), who is usually everyone's favorite in the new series. Plus, the show is designed to be started with 9 (and 11, in a small way) in that they make sure to explain the world etc. etc. whereas it's a bit more "deep end" if you go with the start of 10.

But it's not like it's a cerebral murder mystery or anything, you can truly start anywhere you want and you'll be fine.

Indeed, much like TNG, or for that matter the original Star Trek, the series is very episodic.  There are certainly arcs--you should probably avoid the various series finales, because they all but require watching the rest of the season (or more, the S6 finale essentially requires you to have seen back to S4, won't say any more, spoilers you know).

Lots of people recommend starting with "Blink," which is actually the first of the new series that I saw.  But I think just starting with the Ninth Doctor is usually the best.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2013, 04:38:29 pm »

Yeah, I'm not a massive fan but I've watched most of the new series, definitely skip all the old retro ones unless you turn into a massive fan.

Some of the retro ones were a bit like SG1 when it ran out of funding (flashback shows, and ones entirely set indoors or on base)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.