Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 105746 times)

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #425 on: November 30, 2015, 11:29:35 pm »

Definitely the best of recent episodes. Has this Hybrid been mentioned before? And the was the creature from an earlier episode? Very glad the dr isn't part Dalek, since it did seem likely he was the hybrid. I think the wall didn't reset bc the builders made the mistake of assuming it couldn't be broken. Was that Gallifrey he ended up on?

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #426 on: November 30, 2015, 11:43:34 pm »

Definitely the best of recent episodes. Has this Hybrid been mentioned before? And the was the creature from an earlier episode? Very glad the dr isn't part Dalek, since it did seem likely he was the hybrid. I think the wall didn't reset bc the builders made the mistake of assuming it couldn't be broken. Was that Gallifrey he ended up on?

It was mentioned in the Davros episode
The creature is new; it's just from the Doctor's past
It was either Gallifrey or Missy/Davros/someone is playing an elaborate prank
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 30, 2015, 11:46:35 pm »

Was that his confession dial that he was stuck in, or do they just look similar?

EDIT: Also, the entire episode reminded me of playing MYST.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 11:49:50 pm by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 01, 2015, 12:08:14 am »

Was that his confession dial that he was stuck in, or do they just look similar?

I'm glad I wasn't the only person wondering that. They made such a big deal of it in previous episodes, so I have to think that it is.

But I don't have the previous episodes still on my DVR, so I can't go back and check.
A man has no signature

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #429 on: December 01, 2015, 12:21:46 am »

I'm glad I wasn't the only person wondering that. They made such a big deal of it in previous episodes, so I have to think that it is.

But I don't have the previous episodes still on my DVR, so I can't go back and check.

My theory is The Doctor assigned Ashildr to send him into the confession dial and have it delivered to Gallifrey (somehow) so that he would one day pop out there and not have to go searching for the planet. Without seeing the finale, I am not sure why he would hatch this plan or why he'd do it in such a contrived manner, but it ties in to the theme of the Bootstrap Paradox, which was brought up earlier in the season, so I think it sort of fits. Either way I'm looking forwarding to seeing the actual conclusion of this and hoping it isn't dumb.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 01, 2015, 08:54:13 am »
+1

Was that his confession dial[/spoiled] that he was stuck in, or do they just look similar?

I had the same thought re:Myst!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 01, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
+3

"Why the heck did Obi Wan tell Luke Skywalker that Darth Vader killed his father, when in reality Vader is Luke's father?"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 06, 2015, 02:09:41 am »

Well, holy fuck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 07, 2015, 03:56:39 am »

I've watched 4 episodes of season 9 and must say I'm quite pleased. Capaldi seems to really have come into his own as Doctor.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 07, 2015, 08:03:58 pm »

Yesterday i thought about "Let's kill Hitler". In one scene, a gun is swapped for a banana taken from a fruit bowl in Hitler's office. Originally i thought Bananas were not known in Germany back then. I even remember a teacher, who was a child in WWII, saying how he got an Orange as a gift when the war was over, and, having never seen a fruit you had to peel, bit in it and marveled at how americans could find that tasty. Either way, my internet magic revealed bananas were allready known in europe somewhere in the twenties. So, apparently access to the yellow wonder was given.
I am still not sure whether Hitler would have allowed a fruit from overseas in his fruit bowl. I would have argued it wouldn't fit in his world view. But on the other hand, that guy was a vegeterian because he felt sorry for animals and murdered millions of people. It's hard to guess what that kind of person would do. At least the presence of a fruit ball, whatever fruit inside, makes sense, i guess.
Just thought i'd share my thoughts on this. Maybe somebody knows more?

Also, about that latest episode, i felt really sorry for that Dalek. Such scenes are hard to stomach for me and i'm sad the Doctor didn't help him. I didn't even get why he couldn't. Makes me very sad.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:08 pm »

I've watched 4 episodes of season 9 and must say I'm quite pleased. Capaldi seems to really have come into his own as Doctor.

Oh man, you ain't seen nothing yet.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:53 pm »

Yesterday i thought about "Let's kill Hitler". In one scene, a gun is swapped for a banana taken from a fruit bowl in Hitler's office. Originally i thought Bananas were not known in Germany back then. I even remember a teacher, who was a child in WWII, saying how he got an Orange as a gift when the war was over, and, having never seen a fruit you had to peel, bit in it and marveled at how americans could find that tasty. Either way, my internet magic revealed bananas were allready known in europe somewhere in the twenties. So, apparently access to the yellow wonder was given.
I am still not sure whether Hitler would have allowed a fruit from overseas in his fruit bowl. I would have argued it wouldn't fit in his world view. But on the other hand, that guy was a vegeterian because he felt sorry for animals and murdered millions of people. It's hard to guess what that kind of person would do. At least the presence of a fruit ball, whatever fruit inside, makes sense, i guess.

Also, about that latest episode, i felt really sorry for that Dalek. Such scenes are hard to stomach for me and i'm sad the Doctor didn't help him. I didn't even get why he couldn't. Makes me very sad.

I think you're overthinking the banana joke.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 08, 2015, 04:28:37 am »

I think you're overthinking the banana joke.

Orange you glad i told that anecdote, though?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 08, 2015, 02:27:11 pm »

After the fantastic penultimate episode, this one felt like... a lot of a letdown. Like, this was the Doctor's master plan? To bring back Clara despite her death being a fixed event and hopefully save her life by fleeing the Raven? It made her death feel cheap and irrelevant, when it carried such weight and surprise when it actually happened. And the Doctor has lost companions before, many companions, what about Clara made her so special that he risked basically fracturing the universe to try and save her? I feel like this episode was trying to do something that felt emotional and tragic and just ended up falling completely flat.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 08, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »

After the fantastic penultimate episode, this one felt like... a lot of a letdown. Like, this was the Doctor's master plan? To bring back Clara despite her death being a fixed event and hopefully save her life by fleeing the Raven? It made her death feel cheap and irrelevant, when it carried such weight and surprise when it actually happened. And the Doctor has lost companions before, many companions, what about Clara made her so special that he risked basically fracturing the universe to try and save her? I feel like this episode was trying to do something that felt emotional and tragic and just ended up falling completely flat.

I agree. Saving Clara felt like such a cop-out. It robbed her death of emotional attachment. I liked the idea that it was the Doctor who can't remember her. Kind of like a Donna in reverse, but that could have been done without building up to a fairly decent death scene.
A man has no signature

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 08, 2015, 11:57:52 pm »

There was something very surreal about that episode - why was the diner from Utah in Nevada?  When did Clara get her pulse back?  Where did Ushilda go?  Why did they use the neural thingy at all?   I'm not sure it happened like it seemed.  Maybe it was the next stage of the interrogation.

I did really like the nice touch when the general ordered the Dr to drop all weapons so he put down his spoon. :)

Also, the Dr was in the confession dial for 4.5 billion years, but he only consciously experienced the last iteration.  All the previous iterations were separate versions of him.  But it is true that each time through he was intending to keep resetting and to repeat for as long as it took.  Why didn't he regenerate, though? 

What year was it supposed to be when he came out - 4.5 billion from when he started?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 12, 2015, 08:34:10 am »

What year was it supposed to be when he came out - 4.5 billion from when he started?

Not sure it works that way. Just going by the time, the Doctor started out in present-day London and stated that the teleportation was not time-travel. So just going by that, it would have to be 4.5 billion years in the future.

But that doesn't really fit with the claim that Gallifrey was "at the end of the universe". I mean, in year 4.5 billion, there are still 500 million years left until Earth is destroyed, and it seems there's still a lot of civilization going on at that point. Also, that diamond wall always led to Gallifrey, yes? So it would have to have been around even in present day, which it isn't. So I think by going through the diamond wall, the Doctor time travelled forward it would seem. How farwe cannot really say (at least I don't know when "the end of the universe" happens).
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 17, 2015, 12:50:37 am »

I thought 'end' referred to place not time!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 26, 2015, 02:36:25 am »
+1

"I'm going to need a bigger flowchart."

Tonight was brilliant.

EFHW

• Spy
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 16, 2016, 10:04:50 pm »

"I'm going to need a bigger flowchart."

Tonight was brilliant.

completely agree.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 08, 2017, 07:17:07 am »

I really like the tenth series. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm glad there's a new start after a long time of stories on mostly River Song and Clara Oswald, perhaps it's the gay visibility. But I also genuinely felt the writing was very good in some of the episodes, and not exactly horrible in any. I especially liked the first episode and Extremis. Perhaps the finale could have used another monster for a change, but it had many cute moments nonetheless.

Also, this thread just regenerated. Does this mean it's a woman now?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 09, 2017, 05:15:20 pm »

I really like the tenth series. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm glad there's a new start after a long time of stories on mostly River Song and Clara Oswald, perhaps it's the gay visibility. But I also genuinely felt the writing was very good in some of the episodes, and not exactly horrible in any. I especially liked the first episode and Extremis. Perhaps the finale could have used another monster for a change, but it had many cute moments nonetheless.

Also, this thread just regenerated. Does this mean it's a woman now?
Dang, there was a whole thread for this? Be prepared for me to starg bumping it every time a new episode comes out.

S10 was great, and one of my favorites. I still think S8 was Capaldi's best, but S9 was sweet too. It's really just that finale that made S10 so great. The Pilot and Extremis were good, and I enjoyed Oxegyn and Pryamid. Obviously the Lie of the land was Dissapointing and the others weren't standouts to me. Capaldi is by far my favorite doctor now, I particularly like Extremis, Before the Flood, and Flatline as good episodes from his tenure.

Looking forward to Jodie Whittaker!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 20 queries.