Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Guilds Secret History discussion  (Read 28266 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
Re: Guilds Secret History discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 11:29:58 pm »
+7

I think part of the issue was that we are smart people, and as such we like to make clever, witty comments that are mildly insulting and stick them in our arguments.
And then the argued person is like, whoa man, don't be a jerk like that with your witty-but-insulting comment! I'm going to write something clever about how that was a jerk move!

Also, lets try to avoid this thread going the way those two did! I was going to post a clever but mildly insulting argument about why I was right about something, but then I was like, hey man, that would be a jerk move!

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2013, 12:17:12 am »
+5

I think part of the issue was that we are smart people, and as such we like to make clever, witty comments that are mildly insulting and stick them in our arguments.
And then the argued person is like, whoa man, don't be a jerk like that with your witty-but-insulting comment! I'm going to write something clever about how that was a jerk move!

Also, lets try to avoid this thread going the way those two did! I was going to post a clever but mildly insulting argument about why I was right about something, but then I was like, hey man, that would be a jerk move!

Jerk.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 02:26:45 pm »
+1

The thing is that Donald X. did not need to get involved in the argument at all. Any informed party knew that the decision to take down Isotropic was not his to make.
You didn't need to get involved in thata rgument either.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 02:50:12 pm »
+3

Are we seriously having an argument about the previous argument, here and now?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:45 pm »
+3

Hey, Guilds! Count me among those bummed we didn't get more duration cards. But coin tokens are really cool!

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:38 pm »
+1

Yeah, I'm definitely sad we're out of duration cards. The thing with the duration mechanic is that you can combine it with all the others - you could have duration cards that give you choices, duration-VP cards, duration-attacks, durations that give you coin tokens or interact with the trash or care about variety and so on. So I think there's a very wide unexplored strategy space there.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:17 pm »

Yeah, I'm definitely sad we're out of duration cards. The thing with the duration mechanic is that you can combine it with all the others - you could have duration cards that give you choices, duration-VP cards, duration-attacks, durations that give you coin tokens or interact with the trash or care about variety and so on. So I think there's a very wide unexplored strategy space there.

The question is, is it actually interesting to slap all of those effects on Duration cards?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 03:47:59 pm »
+2

Are we seriously having an argument about the previous argument, here and now?

I'm going to say, "No, we are not," so that we can here and now have an argument about whether or not we're having an argument about the previous argument.

You've been meta'd!

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 03:49:24 pm »
+1

I am also hoping for some good Duration cards in the future but aren't Coin Tokens the epitome of the Duration mechanic?
-The Compulsive Completist

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 04:25:35 pm »
+1

The question is, is it actually interesting to slap all of those effects on Duration cards?

Not sure, but why not? Making a card a duration makes it play a little differently, so presumably it's one more twist to add. Duration-attacks in particular could be interesting - it will generate the situation where you play through your turn knowing in advance that you'll be attacked after it, and knowing what the attack will be. That could be different.

I mean, it's not like I've playtested them, maybe they end up playing not much differently, I don't know. But based on the outtakes DXV posted, it doesn't look like a space that he tried to explore much either, so perhaps there's good stuff to be had there.

I am also hoping for some good Duration cards in the future but aren't Coin Tokens the epitome of the Duration mechanic?

That's a good point, saving up coin tokens is sort of like a duration. That works.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 04:29:22 pm »
+2

Nothing can fill the orange-colored hole in my Dominion heart.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 04:49:59 pm »

Of course, Donald X. can say anything that he wants and I have no right to call him out on it!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 05:06:39 pm »
+1

Of course, Donald X. can say anything that he wants and I have no right to call him out on it!

Dude, no one has directly accused you of being the reason Donald left the site. Even if they do, no big deal. It was his decision. Do you really feel the need to prolong this discussion by defending yourself against claims that haven't even been made?

I mean, what do you even think people are thinking? That you're a jerk? You are a jerk. But the internet is full of jerks like you and me, but you have to learn to ignore them when they're being jerks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:08:19 pm by LastFootnote »

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 05:15:26 pm »

Dude, no one has directly accused you of being the reason Donald left the site. Even if they do, no big deal. It was his decision. Do you really feel the need to prolong this discussion by defending yourself against claims that haven't even been made?

I am not defending myself against those presumed claims.

I mean, what do you even think people are thinking? That you're a jerk? You are a jerk. But the internet is full of jerks like you and me, but you have to learn to ignore them when they're being jerks.

Yeah, dude. Learn to ignore them.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 05:28:57 pm »
+3

Guildzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz guys. Guildz.

Plaza: Originally this also let you trade a coin token for +1 Card. The card was plenty good without that, plus I wanted to cut complexity wherever I could.
Yay cutting complexity! And yay Donald saying it would have been better to simplify some cards in Hinterlands. Some cards felt like stuff was tacked-on (reaction ability of Fools Gold) and in reading the Secret Histories learning some stuff literally was stuck on made sense.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 05:31:40 pm »
+1

Guildzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz guys. Guildz.

Plaza: Originally this also let you trade a coin token for +1 Card. The card was plenty good without that, plus I wanted to cut complexity wherever I could.
Yay cutting complexity! And yay Donald saying it would have been better to simplify some cards in Hinterlands. Some cards felt like stuff was tacked-on (reaction ability of Fools Gold) and in reading the Secret Histories learning some stuff literally was stuck on made sense.

Oh, I don't know. I think Fool's Gold's reaction is a good fit. If you lose the split, or once your deck can no longer draw them together, it gives you a useful alternative.

Trader with the reaction is just so much cooler than Trader without the reaction.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 05:33:01 pm »

Trader with the reaction is just so much cooler than Trader without the reaction.
On that specific one I agree.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »

Duration-attacks in particular could be interesting - it will generate the situation where you play through your turn knowing in advance that you'll be attacked after it, and knowing what the attack will be. That could be different.

I think Donald X said somewhere that one reason there aren't any Duration Attacks is that tracking would be a headache with Moat and Lighthouse.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 06:27:53 pm »
+1

What about a Duration card that did nothing this turn, but gave you 2 or 3 VP next turn.  So if you plop a few down, that gives your opponents incentive to hurry up and end the game.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2013, 12:16:48 pm »

Now and at the start of your next turn:

Gain a coin token. Each other player discards down to three cards in his hand.

There... An Orange Guilds Attack card.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
+1

If I have a Moat this turn, does its protection last for the Duration, too? Since it's the same attack at the start of your next turn, you didn't play it again, so I think it should. Then, does the Moat "stay out" like a Throne Room would? That would be perverse, since now I don't have the Moat in my hand to play during my turn - but if not, how do we keep track of who is immune to the attack on your next turn? If I get a Moat next turn, can I reveal it? No, but people will argue about it and say it's not fair. And then there's Lighthouse...

I think a Duration Attack would just be a massive headache, it wouldn't make the game more fun.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2013, 12:27:14 pm »

You could have a duration attack that only attacks this turn, and not the next.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:19 pm »

Make it next turn.  That way you can make 'em think about it. 8)
-The Compulsive Completist

D Bo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +93
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 12:33:53 pm »

Is that a duration then? Just seems like you're leaving a card in play for no reason. Except for that it's orange and orange is pretty.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 12:35:10 pm »
+1

Is that a duration then? Just seems like you're leaving a card in play for no reason. Except for that it's orange and orange is pretty.
It could give you a bonus both turns. Something like +2 cards now and next turn, and also it attacks when you play it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.