Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Guilds Secret History discussion  (Read 28116 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Guilds Secret History discussion
« on: June 20, 2013, 09:54:43 am »
+3

Secret History link

For those of you keeping track here, those old abbreviations were indeed for slightly older card names.  Stonemason was originally named Mill, Plaza = Tavern, Masterpiece = Fortune, Journeyman = Guide.

Schneau

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Schneau
  • Respect: +1461
    • View Profile
    • Rainwave
Re: Guilds Secret History discussion
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:18:33 am »
+4

If anyone missed it, Donald also posted The Secret History of the Nonexistent Dominion VP Cards later in the thread.

loppo

• 2014 Austrian Champion
  • Respect: +194
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:14 am »

and he also explained why he isn't showing up here anymore,which is kind of sad.

quote:
You don't need Donald X.; the real Donald X. was inside you the whole time.

I am here if anyone wants to chat with me about whatever; you don't even have to switch chairs. At dominionstrategy I found that I was spending time on pointless arguments with Dominion fans, and it was good times when I stopped doing that, so I'm not really looking for more of it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:32 am »
+7

Quote from: Donald X.
- worth 2 VP, Scout
Well you *do* need a signature...

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:30:55 am »

and he also explained why he isn't showing up here anymore,which is kind of sad.

quote:
You don't need Donald X.; the real Donald X. was inside you the whole time.

I am here if anyone wants to chat with me about whatever; you don't even have to switch chairs. At dominionstrategy I found that I was spending time on pointless arguments with Dominion fans, and it was good times when I stopped doing that, so I'm not really looking for more of it.

I agree... =(

platykurtic

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:35:15 am »

Quote from: DonaldX
For a bit I kind of wanted a new action-victory card, and tried +1 Action, reveal a card from your hand for the corresponding Ironworks bonus, 2 VP, for $4. It was fine but I mostly just liked that it was an action-victory card.

Poor Scout

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:59 am »
+9

Poor Scout

+1 Action
Reveal the top 4 cards of your deck. Put the revealed Victory cards in your hand and put the rest back in any order.
–$1 per Victory card in your hand.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:44:50 am »

Well, if nothing else, the ensuing discussion in that thread has made me give up on getting any fan cards published.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 10:49:24 am »

Donald said "Achievement Unlocked" (well he was quoting someone else) but that made me happy.

I'm going to start saying "Foosh" now. I'm thinking I'll save it for the next IRL game where I just grab the stack of Provinces/Colonies, putting it in my discard, without knowing or caring how many are there.

He said that overpay for coin tokens was "crazy" which I assume means OP and/or maybe swingy. I wonder if Curse would work for that...

About him not coming here, yeah. I guess what I have to say about his quote is "I CRI EVERTIM"
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 10:56:10 am »

It's sad, but I can understand it. One guy with hundreds of people wanting to talk to him specifically about various aspects can get pretty overwhelming pretty quickly.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:04:41 am »

It's sad, but I can understand it. One guy with hundreds of people wanting to talk to him specifically about various aspects can get pretty overwhelming pretty quickly.

It didn't sound like it was the talking in general that was the problem... I mean, he gets that at BGG already.  It sounds like it was some of the ... debating ... that was frustrating.  I think.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 12:25:48 pm »
+5

It didn't sound like it was the talking in general that was the problem... I mean, he gets that at BGG already.  It sounds like it was some of the ... debating ... that was frustrating.  I think.

There were a number of users on here who insinuated he was an idiot who didn't know what he was doing, despite inventing their favorite pastime.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »

I must have missed that... I could totally understand DXV disliking that. I know I would.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 12:33:39 pm »

There were a number of users on here who insinuated he was an idiot who didn't know what he was doing, despite inventing their favorite pastime.

Can you phrase that in the meme of an Insanity Wolf?

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 12:44:21 pm »
+11

Donald is incredibly good at cheerfully telling people to fuck off, and it's awesome.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 12:47:00 pm »
+6

I must have missed that... I could totally understand DXV disliking that. I know I would.

Remember when every thread about anything turned into "let's bitch endlessly about Goko without remotely breaking any new conversational ground"? He probably got even more tired of that than we did.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2110
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2013, 09:19:57 am »
+1

I was one of the haters.

I let him know how annoyed I was with the whole "not enough room" thing, and insinuated that he designed Thief to trick beginners and that he should have playtested Scout outside of all intrigue decks. Part of me thought that would convince him to write errata or make more expansions, but it was just verbal sparring for its own sake. I'd probably react similarly to any creator I see on a forum beyond the "holy shit he actually posts here" phase.

I am sorry to everyone here for contributing to his dislike of these forums. If he comes back I will try to make him feel welcome.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 01:36:57 pm »
+8

So, my curiosity got the better of me and I went looking.  It appears that these two threads were the last straw:

So when will Isotropic return? -- in which a silly question suddenly includes someone (in his first post) suggesting doing something illegal (and getting banned), Donald suggesting theory take the forums down to let people cool off, and a heated transaction between Donald and another user causes theory to lock the thread.

Goko UI makes me want to... -- in which a reasonable discussion gets derailed by the "I already paid for Dominion argument," and Donald and I end up on the same side of a heated argument with the same user as in the other thread, with a few other people on both sides.  I got fed up with the thread before Donald did.

So yeah, there was your breaking point.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 01:55:15 pm »

So, my curiosity got the better of me and I went looking.  It appears that these two threads were the last straw:

So when will Isotropic return? -- in which a silly question suddenly includes someone (in his first post) suggesting doing something illegal (and getting banned), Donald suggesting theory take the forums down to let people cool off, and a heated transaction between Donald and another user causes theory to lock the thread.

Goko UI makes me want to... -- in which a reasonable discussion gets derailed by the "I already paid for Dominion argument," and Donald and I end up on the same side of a heated argument with the same user as in the other thread, with a few other people on both sides.  I got fed up with the thread before Donald did.

So yeah, there was your breaking point.

That was kind of.. well, either funny or sad, or both.  It feels like a lot of the negative tone was caused by (a) people feeling much more at ease saying rude and insulting things when you're behind the facade of a computer, and (b) people not using the same definitions/starting points for things and fighting about derivative stuff that isn't actually the basis of the disagreement. (In particular, the difference between a "sound" argument and a "valid" argument https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Validity was probably relevant.)

Or because (c) on every forum, there must exist trolls.  We should have had a troll Dominion card.  Maybe you play it as a reaction before an opponent buys a card or as a reaction to them playing an action that gives -1 coin, -1 buy, each card has its cost increased by (1) (... you know, because trolls live under bridges).

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 02:17:59 pm »
+2

1. I am not a troll.
2. Donald X. being the designer of Dominion doesn't give him the right to act like a jerk. I can't believe that some of you actually tried to justify his behavior.

Now, I don't really care if you think (or imply) that it's my fault that Donald X. doesn't post on f.DS anymore. I'm just going to insist that it isn't. Donald X. took perfectly logical responses to two different arguments and blew them up. You can tell from the content of my posts that I didn't have a hard-line stance on any of the issues, yet Donald X.'s argumentative side got the better of him and now he acts as if we've lost his grace.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 02:29:12 pm »
+5

Well, arguing about arguments certainly isn't going to solve anything. Perhaps we should just let the whole thing rest.

Yes, it's sad that Donald is gone, but nothing lasts forever.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:04 pm »

So, my curiosity got the better of me and I went looking.  It appears that these two threads were the last straw
Um... yeah. That ought to do it.

All becomes clear, thanks. )-8

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 06:49:13 pm »

Yeah, so it was all the negativity with Goko that finally did it. Sad. Well, maybe he'll be back eventually, the community seems to have settled down a little since that time.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 07:15:55 pm »

Yeah, so it was all the negativity with Goko that finally did it. Sad. Well, maybe he'll be back eventually, the community seems to have settled down a little since that time.

Settled down a lot, I think. It's pretty rare to see Goko-hate these days. The most I've noticed is an occasional jab and genuine constructive criticism.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 07:24:21 pm »

The thing is that Donald X. did not need to get involved in the argument at all. Any informed party knew that the decision to take down Isotropic was not his to make.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.