Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Favourite Guilds cards  (Read 9191 times)

brokoli

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +786
    • View Profile
Favourite Guilds cards
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:12:58 am »

I'm always interested to know what are the most appreciated cards, and know after your first plays with guilds, which are your favourites ?

For my part, the first is Butcher, I think it's a very skill card with many options, one of the best remodel variant really. After that, Stonemason but more for the on-play effect than for the overpay. It is a little bit like develop : not so useful and tricky, but when you can do something good with it you feel great. I like the overpay effect too of course, because it makes the card much stronger.

Overall I like all the cards in the set, but Doctor and Soothsayer slightly less than the rest. I haven't payed so much with the guilds cards of course, so my opinion can change with the time.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Re: Favourite Guilds cards
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 10:37:39 am »

I like Masterpiece.  I think that more than the other cards, it provides a novel new strategy.

There may be some nice Coin token megaturns out there too, though.  I always enjoy strategies that allow you to forego greening until a big megaturn at the end.
Well you *do* need a signature...

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 11:01:42 am »

Mine is definitely CM.

My favorite engines are of the Disappearing-Actions/Draw-to-X kind.  You know, Festival/Watchtower, Hamlet/Library, Minion, etc.

CM just makes those so fun.

Also, I'm starting to think that CM might be overpowered... it is more than 3/4ths of a Market for only $2, and its +buy makes it easy to pick up lots of them.  It does more than 3 of Pawn's "choose 2" abilities (at the same price).  (However, Pawn's strength, like Steward's, is in its flexibility.)

It's probably just my bias towards disappearing actions, and maybe the fact that I rarely use Pawn as +1card +1action.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:02:44 am by () | (_) ^/ »

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:03:35 pm »
+4

Baker. Baker Baker Baker Baker Baker.

The starting coin is game-warping to the point where your first decision becomes ridiculously critical, and in a way that seems to involve more feel than study. The card itself creates a ton of difficult buying decisions--when do I need to store up coin tokens, and when do I just need a damn Gold. This gets especially difficult in near-fully-drawing engines. And it causes coin tokens to accumulate steadily but not monumentally; it's not Candlestick Maker where it costs you a card so you're spending turns or partial turns building up coin tokens, and it's not Butcher or Merchant Guild where coin tokens show up in bursts. It doesn't provide its own +Buy so you have to figure that into any hoarding strategy. But every time you go through your deck, you get another coin token from each of your Bakers. It's so simple. But it changes the game SO MUCH when you have a few of them.

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »

Also, I'm starting to think that CM might be overpowered... it is more than 3/4ths of a Market for only $2

Compare with Squire/Bazaar; Squire is more flexible than a Bazaar that doesn't draw, and Candlestick Maker is more flexible than a Market that doesn't draw. Sure, there are nice combos with draw-to-x, but the reason $5 Lab/$5 Lab costs more than the equivalent $3 Village/$4 Smithy is you have to pair them up to get that effect. Squire + draw-to-x is even better than Candlestick Maker because you need the +2 Actions (Watchtower and Library are terminal).
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

() | (_) ^/

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: p4ddy0d00rs
  • Nemo dat quod non habet.
  • Respect: +526
    • View Profile
    • BGG profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »

Also, I'm starting to think that CM might be overpowered... it is more than 3/4ths of a Market for only $2

Compare with Squire/Bazaar; Squire is more flexible than a Bazaar that doesn't draw, and Candlestick Maker is more flexible than a Market that doesn't draw. Sure, there are nice combos with draw-to-x, but the reason $5 Lab/$5 Lab costs more than the equivalent $3 Village/$4 Smithy is you have to pair them up to get that effect. Squire + draw-to-x is even better than Candlestick Maker because you need the +2 Actions (Watchtower and Library are terminal).

Valid points! =)

However, you started with a parallel comparison (Squire-Bazaar, CM-Market) but towards the end you're comparing Squire and CM.  Not sure if intentional; it was a little confusing for me.

My point wasn't that CM is better or worse than Squire.  My point was that tokens are really really good, and CM is a super cheap way of getting them AND having +buy AND being non-terminal is just ... well, powerful.  It's just beautiful for an engine deck, any kind -- not just draw-to-x... it has buy and flexible economy all in a cheap, spammable card (assuming you have draw... I did say engine, right?).

Warfreak2

• Saboteur
  • KC->KC->[Scavenger, Scavenger, Lookout]
  • Respect: +1324
    • View Profile
    • Music what I do
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 02:22:48 pm »

I intended to compare CM with Squire for the whole post; firstly that an extra +1 Card makes them strictly better than something for $5 (many $2s fall into this category, e.g. Pawn and Hamlet would each be better than Laboratory). Secondly, Squire + draw-to-x is better than CM + draw-to-x. My point was that CM is definitely less overpowered than Squire.
If the only engine on the board is Procession->Conspirator, I will play it.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 03:48:40 pm »
+1

Stonemason is my favorite just for the overpay effect. Herald is a close second. I love me some engine building.

Blueswan

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
+1

It's early days, but this has got to be one of the best expansions. I like pretty much every card here. Lots of really interesting twists to the game. A great way to end the expansion series. Bravo Donald!

My personal favourite might be Herald. Really good in a lot of engines.

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 09:16:40 am »

1. Herald - it's going to take something significant for something to knock this out of my favorite Guilds card. It just makes me feel good.

2. Candlestick Maker - It provides a different feel for money games, which is something I think the game sorely needed. Also, it's amazing for engines, which I love to build. This would be the something significant that I referred to above.

3. Stonemason? Soothsayer? I dunno...
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43:00 am »

Baker and Masterpiece, love 'em.  Other than that, just being honest, it's not my favorite expansion, but it's more Dominion cards so that's good.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 12:34:40 pm »

Soothsayer is by far my favorite card.  Maybe not always the best choice but it sure sucks you in.
-The Compulsive Completist

buggy

• Scout
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
    • Interactivities Ink
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 01:18:30 pm »

Doctor.  Bought it with a 5/2 opening when there were no good 5 cards on the board.  Changed my whole game.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 05:18:49 pm »

Merchant Guild. It's so good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 06:04:23 pm »

I have really enjoyed playing Taxman.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Mr Anderson

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 03:02:52 pm »

I like Soothsayer. In my opinion, it is a nice cursing attack since cursing games tend to become slogs and the Gold really boosts your economy.

hockeysemlan

• Steward
  • If you're in Gothenburg: Meet me in the Dungeon.
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 01:43:59 am »

I've played my first four games with Guilds and it was extremely fun. I had high expectations but I didn't have to regret those at all. So far the funniest small expansion imo.

Every card is my favorite at this bright moment but most of all doctor, due to my faiblesse for small decks. Doctor/Taxman/Baker was an INSANE combo. My poor opponents didn't go for Baker almost at all, neither did they open doctor, and what can I say. Six provinces in a row when I chose to green.

But everything seems to be so FUN. The only card we didn't get to work properly was Merchant guild, but it seems to be a tricky card that easily can be backfired if used in a wrong way.

Better expansion than Cornuccopia? Yes. Definitely Yes.
No win is caused by luck. Not a single one. Losses on the other hand...

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:27 am »

When you get Merchant Guild to work, it'll be awesome. It's definitely a weird card, but can give very satisfying turns.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:23 am »

So far the funniest small expansion imo.
I don't know; I mean the Butcher/Baker/Candlestick Maker reference is pretty funny, but there's nothing funnier than the look on your opponent's face when you play Possession during his double Province hand.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 04:10:25 am »
+5

I'd say the Advisor memes are pretty funny.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 08:58:52 am »

Overpaying is a good mechanic and it works best with stonemason and masterpiece. Those are the best cards from Guilds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 10:09:04 am »
+3

MIFY

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 11:56:56 am »

MIFY
...but now it became bad advice.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 12:08:19 pm »
+1

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.