Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Alchemist (Treasury) / Scheme bug  (Read 1805 times)

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Alchemist (Treasury) / Scheme bug
« on: October 22, 2011, 03:52:10 pm »

There seems to be a bug in that if I have both Alchemists or Treasuries and a Schemed card to return to the top of my deck, Isotropic won't allow me to return the Schemed card first. See this thread for discussion:

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=841.msg12536#msg12536

Aziden

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemist (Treasury) / Scheme bug
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:51:15 am »
+2

While attempting to reproduce this bug (which, by the way, is still uncorrected, though I'm not sure how difficult that might be, knowing nothing about the way the Clean-Up phase is coded), I encountered another one.

I ran a game with all the top-deckers: Treasury, Alchemist, Herbalist, Scheme, and for completeness' sake, Walled Village. During clean-up, the "clean up which card next" prompt displays what appears to be every card I have in play, but only after the step in which I am asked which cards I would like to top-deck with Scheme, which always starts off the Clean-Up phase, and (I suspect) indicates something about why Schemed cards always return to the deck last, and are consequently drawn first.

The following outcomes result when selecting a card on the "clean up which card next" list:

1) Selecting Alchemist with no Potions in play will remove it from the list. Otherwise, the "return to deck - yes/no" prompt will appear.
2) Selecting Treasury after having purchased a Victory card will remove it from the list. Otherwise, the "return to deck - yes/no" prompt will appear.
3) Selecting Scheme (since the player has already been asked to choose Scheme's targets) will remove it from the list.
4) Selecting Herbalist with no Treasure cards in play will remove it from the list. Otherwise,  the "return a treasure to your deck" prompt will appear.
5) Selecting Walled Village with more than two Action cards in play will remove it from the list. Otherwise, the "return to deck - yes/no" prompt will appear.
6) Selecting any other Action card (whether it has been selected by Scheme as a target or not) will remove it from the list.
7) Selecting any Treasure card will remove it from the list.

It can be fairly presumed that removing a card from the list of cards displayed in the "clean up which card next" prompt signifies its being discarded from play. This is supported by the fact that picking the "no" option when asked whether to top-deck Alchemist or Treasury means they do not appear on the list as of the next prompting, having been "cleaned-up," as well as the fact that cleaned-up Treasure cards do not appear on the list of Treasure cards in Herbalist's "return a treasure to your deck" prompt.

The tangential bug discovered is as follows: if one uses Herbalist to return all Potions in play to the top of one's deck, Alchemist can still be returned to the top of one's deck. Furthermore, if one discards all Potions from play when asked which card to clean up next (which can be confirmed by using Herbalist and finding no Potions to return with its effect), Alchemist can still be returned to the top of one's deck.

When cleaning up Alchemist, Treasury, and/or Herbalist, their effects resolve immediately, and the log reflects the returning of any cards to the top of the player's deck. It is only after the list given by the "clean up which card next" prompt is exhausted of options, or there are no more cards that necessitate cleaning up (Herbalists, eligible Treasuries/Alchemists/Walled Villages), that Scheme's effect finally resolves, and the cards selected at the very beginning of the Clean-Up Phase are top-decked.

Scheme's effect should resolve when Scheme's targets are cleaned up (and subsequently discarded from play), and removing Potions from play should mean that Alchemist can no longer be top-decked, as its effect requires a Potion to be in play, not one to have been played that turn.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemist (Treasury) / Scheme bug
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:16:46 am »

A related, if inconsequential, cleanup bug is also noted <a href="http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1085.0">here</a>.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.