Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Are the contents of a stack public knowledge?  (Read 3453 times)

Zem

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +31
    • View Profile
Are the contents of a stack public knowledge?
« on: June 15, 2013, 08:14:16 pm »

On Isotropic, you can inspect every card in every stack in play, yours or your opponent's.
This can be very handy if you want to activate a dogma that will take away one of their top cards, or if you are thinking about sharing a splay dogma.

When I play Innovation in real life, we usually do not allow someone to inspect stacks of their opponents (Though taking their top cards into your hand to read the text is often done, and that automatically reveals the card below)

Of course the contents of each stack is in theory public knowledge, but in practice it is almost impossible to remember.

Is there an official rule about inspecting opponent's non-top cards?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 08:20:41 pm by Zem »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: Are the contents of a stack public knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 08:23:31 pm »

I believe that the official rule is that the lower cards in the stack are not public knowledge.  However, I believe it is also similar to the no-looking-through-the-discard rule in Dominion; the only reason the rule is there is to keep people from disrupting play by continually requesting to see the other players' stacked cards.  Obviously, internet play removes that problem.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Hideyoshi

• Baron
  • Respect: +34
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 05:54:50 am »

In real game, you are only allowed to inspect all the things which are shown on the table of your opponents. It means that you can inspect the top cards, the icons splayed, but not any information which are covered by cards.

Well, if anyone want to inspect the top cards, you may need to just read it on table but not pick it up. You may try to pick up all the cards in the same color, but it is quite impossible to do so anyway.

If I do not remember wrong, there is a rule that you cannot inspect any information which are covered. Hope anyone can find the rules on rule book.

Alexmf

• Steward
  • Respect: +21
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 12:36:41 pm »

In theory, in the real game, you are not allowed to inspect the stacks of the opponents except for the top card (source: rulebook).

It is, however, a stupid rule, because splaying will allow you to see parts of the cards below anyway. And then it's just a matter of "how well do you know the cards" or "how little can I move the cards so that the splay is still visible, but none of the text is readable" etc.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 02:15:25 pm »

In theory, in the real game, you are not allowed to inspect the stacks of the opponents except for the top card (source: rulebook).

It is, however, a stupid rule, because splaying will allow you to see parts of the cards below anyway. And then it's just a matter of "how well do you know the cards" or "how little can I move the cards so that the splay is still visible, but none of the text is readable" etc.
It is not a stupid rule, because it doesn't matter if or not you can have access to that information. The important thing is, if you're going to inspect all the stacks every turn, the game's going to take two hours instead of 30 minutes, and that's why you don't.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.